to want my in-laws to just go home now...

(98 Posts)
Florabeebaby Thu 17-Jan-13 19:58:00

they have been here for 7 weeks...the flight is on Sunday.

We have a 2 bed flat, DD 2yr and DS 3m...AIBU to want them to go home now and give me my home and my TV back?

If they ever come back again it's not for more than 2 weeks...otherwise DH will be faced with divorce papers.

That is all.

dutchyoriginal Sun 20-Jan-13 19:04:01

Hurrah!

peterpie Sun 20-Jan-13 18:11:51

I have also just come accross your post. I bet you let out a huge sigh of relief! I had my Mother out to stay for 4 weeks over Christmas and New Year and even though she´s my own Mother it was absolute Hell - two words NEVER AGAIN!

Totally know where you´re coming from it was like having child no4 in the house - argh!!!!!

Chottie Sun 20-Jan-13 17:34:10

I've only just read this post. You are a much better person than me, I could not have had my MiL to stay for a weekend let alone 7 weeks.

I bet when they get home, they will be saying how wonderful you are, what fantastic children you have etc. to all their friends. smile

KindleMum Sun 20-Jan-13 17:34:01

You are amazing! (and a bit mad to have agreed to 7 weeks in the first place). I struggle with my MIL within hours! She's due for the weekend soon and it will take all the self-control and patience I have to not rise to her goading and passive-aggressive behaviour.

You're a star!

Flisspaps Sun 20-Jan-13 17:26:43

HOORAY wine thanks

Florabeebaby Sun 20-Jan-13 17:22:03

smile We had a lovely walk and just had dinner wiht DD whilst DS is asleep...soooo nice.

iyatoda Sun 20-Jan-13 16:23:20

Op your post made me laugh and I am glad you survived the 7 weeks.

On the bright side at least your ILs gave you a lovely DH, he did'nt just drop of the sky. Most people irrespective of culture are quite different from their parents. I know I am

pixwix Sun 20-Jan-13 16:17:37

Bloody hell flora have been eating this thread whilst eating my tea, and my mouth has been open! (bits of chicken pie falling out attractively) You are awesome! but never again aye? and have you checked your silverware....?

Mynewmoniker Sun 20-Jan-13 15:36:03

Here you are love...get this wine. You are a legend!

CecilyP Sun 20-Jan-13 15:17:48

Really pleased for you Flora. I was really worried that you might be stuck with them for longer when I saw on the news about Heathrow. Hope you enjoy being able to relax in your own home again.

Hissy Sun 20-Jan-13 15:14:47

Oh Flora, I have been thinking of you ALL weekend! I am SO pleased to hear that they are gone!

For the love of GOD, turn a broom on it's head and stick it behind the front door, if they were the last to leave it....

That (apparently) keeps them away from your door for good.

Mosman Sun 20-Jan-13 15:14:00

Cheers grin

diddl Sun 20-Jan-13 15:04:47

Hooray!!!!

Florabeebaby Sun 20-Jan-13 15:02:31

They are gone! I survived!!

zipzap Sat 19-Jan-13 16:38:59

Sounds like it is a cultural thing to think that what belongs to my son belongs to me - and by extension anything that belongs to his family is fair game. Bet they pick up lots more stuff in the next day or two now that it's finally time for them to be packing up to go.

Are you going to get dh to inspect their bags before they go to check they haven't taken anything that you really don't want them to take? (guessing that say make up is replaceable even if it's a pain to have to do so whereas an ornament inherited or a favourite but old jumper etc isn't...)

Good luck and well done on having got this far without resorting to violence!

BarnYardCow Sat 19-Jan-13 15:54:36

I couldn't have done that, I like to put my jammies on when I get in for the evening, and hate having to be dressed up for visitors, that alone would have been enough for me, hope that plane goes!

Is it a cultural norm to steal your DGD's toys or are they just a bit odd?

Christmasberry Sat 19-Jan-13 15:07:33

Fingers crossed for no more snow, although if if did my hubby would have an extra day off work but your needs are far greater than mine smile

Florabeebaby Sat 19-Jan-13 13:41:36

Waynetta...are you me? smile Seriously, one more comment about my DDs ears NOT being pierced and I will run! She is 2, there is no need for it just yet...I decide when and IF she has hers done. Ugh.

MIL told me I will stay fat now because I have had 2 kids...nice. I'm size 10. And apparently half packet of biscuits is a nice breakfast. Poor DD has to eat horrible porridge...I could go on and on.

I can do it...last day, last day. Hoping the flight will be ok, at the moment all good but there is some snow tomorrow for London. They are getting a coach up now as I don't want DH to drive and get stuck on the way back.

Last night FIL got up at 2am and traipsed about for an hour...I can't wait for some peace and quiet..

Update to follow tomorrow...put the champagne on ice please!

ZZZenAgain Fri 18-Jan-13 20:50:39

don't do it again. Insist YOU must visit THEM to save them the hassle of travel. Then they can cook and clean and you can get out of the house and away from them when it is too much.

I really hope their flight isn't cancelled!

SirBoobAlot Fri 18-Jan-13 20:48:33

Seven weeks?! Fucking hell woman.

Where in the country are you? I'm sure one of us can have a crisis and need some support...

Hope the snow doesn't delay their flight.

You are a saint. An actual saint.

ChunkyChicken Fri 18-Jan-13 20:43:42

YADDDNBU!!! You are a saint, deserve a medal, all of the above!!!

DoodlesNoodles Fri 18-Jan-13 20:42:58

shock shock shock

7 weeks what were you thinking? What was your DH thinking?

Absolute madness.

Well done for getting this far without running away.

I bet you will miss them when they are gone jokes!

marriedinwhite Fri 18-Jan-13 20:36:34

Two more sleeps OP. Early night tonight and then it's nearly all over. >>hugs<<

pointythings Fri 18-Jan-13 20:32:49

OP, you are a goddess.

My ILs (when they were alive) were in the US, 7 hours away. And they never stayed for more than 2 weeks because they didn't want to impose. And they helped around the house, entertained the DDs, did laundry and shopping for us and were genuinely lovely.

And even then I was always glad to have the house to ourselves again, it's just different with long-staying house guests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now