Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not share my job application form with a friend who wants the same job?

(42 Posts)
PenguinBear Wed 16-Jan-13 20:20:45

My friend wants to apply for the same job as me (in education) and has asked me to email her a copy of my form and covering letter.

I am reluctant to do this. I'm happy to give her a list of everything I covered etc but don't want her to have my application form. She is applying in the same area I work in and if I want to apply for another job it could end up as two of us sending out a near identical covering letter and person spec as I wouldn't know what bits she had used etc.

AIBU to not send it to her?

LifeofPo Wed 16-Jan-13 20:22:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

apostropheuse Wed 16-Jan-13 20:23:28

YANBU It's her responsibility to complete the form herself. She should also be able to write her own covering letter.

Perhaps you could offer to advise her in a more general way of how to make her application, but she really can't expect you to let her see your form if she's competing for the same job.

Good luck with it!

EverybodysSnowyEyed Wed 16-Jan-13 20:24:13

YANBU

It's dog eat dog out there! If you were feeling generous you could chat hrough your approach or direct her to some websites tha may give advice on covering letters etc

ilovesooty Netherlands Wed 16-Jan-13 20:25:18

Headteachers are used to receiving "shared" applications. They go in the bin.

If she can't write her own application she isn't up to the job. I wouldn't tell her anything about what you've covered either.

Catchingmockingbirds Wed 16-Jan-13 20:25:34

Yanbu, just tell her you don't feel comfortable doing that.

Salmotrutta Wed 16-Jan-13 20:27:15

God, how old is she?!

If she needs to completely crib your whole application she can't be up to much anyway!

Fair enough if she asked for an objective opinion from a third party but not looking at another applicant's letter and form ...

StuffezLaBouche Wed 16-Jan-13 20:28:04

Bloody Hell, I wouldn't even share the areas you've covered. What a lazy person she is!

YANBU. I can't believe someone would even ask this!
I've shared applications with friends in totally different areas, or after I've already secured a job, but would never agree to this.

MarilynValentine Wed 16-Jan-13 20:43:21

YANBU.

Don't even give her a list of what you covered! I assume you're not her mummy? grin

What reason has she given for being unable to put it together herself?

StickEmUp Wed 16-Jan-13 20:46:06

She sounds like she is 10. A job application form is a confidential document I'd imagine.
I went for a job recently at the same company and my boss wasnt allowed a copy LOL.
Tell her to f off.

RubyrooUK Wed 16-Jan-13 20:57:37

No way!

I'd just tell her you haven't finished it yet and good luck with her application.

ArkadyRose Wed 16-Jan-13 20:58:59

"Sorry, no, that's not appropriate. Best of luck with your application." Refuse to get drawn further.

Samnella Wed 16-Jan-13 20:59:21

YANBU.

Just smile and say don't be daft.

ENormaSnob Wed 16-Jan-13 20:59:55

Tell her to grow up.

letseatgrandma Wed 16-Jan-13 21:08:09

What a cheek!

Wha have you said to her?!

thegreylady Wed 16-Jan-13 21:32:48

Form yes but not the letter-how dare she even ask!

thegreylady Wed 16-Jan-13 21:33:27

blank form I meant of course

MsVestibule Wed 16-Jan-13 21:40:33

A very close friend and I once applied for the same job. It really wouldn't have crossed either of our minds to ask the other for help in completing the application form, let alone ask for a copy of it!

How old is she?

LeChatRouge Wed 16-Jan-13 21:41:45

How ridiculous. How can she ask you to do this? Please don't feel like you have to! If you really think you are applying for the same role, don't help her at all. It's not mean, imagine how you'll feel if she gets it and you don't!

Email back and say that now you've had a chance to think about it, you don't want to know what she's writing in hers and can't share yours either.

What a crazy request. I hop you didn't send it to her.

Blardy hell, you want to "help her cheat" shock

Dont!

I will tell you a true story.
When I was 20, in my circle of friends I had two young aspiring actresses. They had both been in films, theater productions, and wanted to apply for a highly coveted once in a life time application to a certain drama school. They practiced together. My best friend was doing a very heartfelt monologue, and her friend a comedy piece. Then the audition. Her friend first. Performed HER monologue. My friend was watching her friend on stage doing HER monologue. She got standing ovation and straight acceptance. She beamed at my friend, as she stumbled out on stage shell-shocked and unable to perform.

Guess who today is a very famous film and theater actress in my home country, and who has just about made a living doing school productions and obscure theater.

Dont show your hand, lady!

PenguinBear Wed 16-Jan-13 21:48:52

Thank you! Though I don't think I was clear enough in my op, I already have a job and she wants to apply for the same job in different schools!

I still hope you think I am not being unreasonable!

EverybodysSnowyEyed Wed 16-Jan-13 22:13:27

That does make a difference!

I wouldn't send her your application and covering letter because it does need to be her own work, but talking through it with her wouldn't be so bad would it?

EverybodysSnowyEyed Wed 16-Jan-13 22:13:51

And well done on getting the job!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now