To refuse to take 3 points on my licence for speeding when I wasn't the driver

(254 Posts)
hmc Wed 16-Jan-13 20:14:21

....because that's called perverting the course of justice and if found out it attracts a custodial sentence

I have a clean licence. They have a lot of points and need to drive for their job

cumfy Sun 20-Jan-13 13:01:01

I love the The Tale of the Australian Speeding Judge.

I'm sure he will enjoy it too!

If you are breaking the law while driving doesn't it tend to invalidate your insurance?

nkf Fri 18-Jan-13 18:00:09

Buy you dinner? That'll do it. Sure. I've never eaten dinner before. What's it like?

nkf Fri 18-Jan-13 17:55:58

This thread is an eye opener. I had no idea it was possible to do this. I had no idea that anyone did it. Why would you? Just why? If you keep getting speeding tickets, you're driving too fast too often. And 36 instead of 30 is much more worrying than 70 on a dual carriageway. 30 is built up area/residential and that means people. This man thinks he will get more tickets. Think it's inevitable. He needs to be off the road. They should drop the upper limit to six.

TwoFacedCows Fri 18-Jan-13 17:51:25

I have a petrol card, paid for by work smile

So no i dont think i am.

specialsubject Fri 18-Jan-13 17:44:34

TwoFacedCows - apart from the fact that you are apparently above the law, where do you get your cheap petrol? You are using vast amounts more than needed because you go so fast.

so you are the definition of more money than sense.

OP - let him take the rap. The life you save could be yours.

CrapBag Fri 18-Jan-13 17:39:33

As it is clearly a regular occurance I would make him take it. He really isn't learning is he!!

I fucked up big time recently. First time ever in trouble. I was being genuine and not believed in court. They came down on me hard. I have learned my lesson from it though.

TwoFacedCows Fri 18-Jan-13 17:35:55

i LOVE speed, but yes it was a tad too fast for me as well.

I think if I was in a car travelling at 98mph I would literally shit myself. I am not fond of speed.

TwoFacedCows Fri 18-Jan-13 17:06:28

WOW!! i regularly drive at 85mph on the motor way and most dual carriage ways. Some are busier then others and i will slow down to 75/80. But on the motorway i am nearly always driving at 85mph and sometimes more! i looked down at the speedometer and i was doing 98mph! ophs!

lockets Fri 18-Jan-13 16:51:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pigsmummy Fri 18-Jan-13 16:49:27

I used to do 60,000 miles a year and clocked up points, don't judge me unless you want the long version of this tale.... I did advance driving and the police run speeders course and haven't looked back, they do make you a better driver. If my hubby needed me to take a fine then I would, it takes a major court case for the photograph to be scrutinised (accident with injury for example) so I would just fill in the back of the ticket without dispute and send it back. Then get hubby to buy me dinner.

Pigsmummy Fri 18-Jan-13 16:44:56

I would take the points, flame me all you like

ICBINEG Fri 18-Jan-13 12:27:39

I wasn't confessing to being a speeder...I was confessing to being a bad driver. I never deliberately go over the limit. But I have been know to glance at speedo and notice I am a couple of MPH over. This is bad driving as you should always be aware of your speed.

So which are you all? A bad driver or a deliberately bad driver?

btw I completely believe that someone trained to a more advanced level than myself could drive without breaking the limits!

If it helps, my dad is a driving instructor. Not only was a brought up by him to obey the rules of the world, I also saw him in a neck brace when some fuckwit who couldn't bear to do the speed limit got impatient when they had to share the road with a learner.

Aside from being a driving instructor, by dad has also driven buses, coaches, limousines, lorries, pretty much any road vehicle. So I've also been taught that being stupid enough to get points on the license can mean losing all income.

I know the importance of not speeding.

Also saw multiple people knocked down outside my school as it was a favourite road for speeding on. It happened at least once a month.

So do I speed? No, never. It's been shown to be stupid in so many ways that I cannot see why you would.

I get that you feel guilty and want to assuage your guilt by convincing yourself that everyone does it. But they don't. So either accept the guilt, or assuage it by not speeding anymore.

Why would I lie? Just to make you feel better?

allgoingtoshitnow Fri 18-Jan-13 11:04:48

Come on MurderOfGoths - ICBINEG has confessed. Its very easy, just stand up and say 'My name is MurderOfGoths, and I'm a speeder'.

Then we can start working on your road-captain issues.

Veritate Fri 18-Jan-13 11:04:28

"People rarely get caught"
Don't deceive yourself. They do. Especially people like op's dh - the system flags up those who already have points on their licence precisely because they're the ones most likely to come up with damn stupid ideas like this.

QOD Fri 18-Jan-13 10:57:31

I took some for dh many many many moons ago. Wouldn't now!!
Naturally I earned some of my own immediately after I lost his off my license

Grrr

ICBINEG Fri 18-Jan-13 10:57:16

hmm my DF revisited the scene of a ticket recently because he was thought there was likely insufficient indication of the limit (was doing 70 in a 50 on what you would assume was national limit dual carriage way). When he came back he held his hands up and admitted that he couldn't have been paying enough attention because the limit signs were very clear.

I haven't had points on my licence in 15 years of driving. Yes, I have drifted over limits...and every time it happens I curse myself and tell myself to be more careful in future. If I got a ticket I would accept it no complaint.

"Bullshit. There isn't a driver in this country whos never broken the speed limit because half the time the limit isn't signposted clearly."

Just because you can't resist going over the speed limit doesn't mean everyone else is the same. And even if roads aren't signposted it's usually pretty easy to tell what the limit is, just by comparing it to other roads where you do know the limit. And if you really don't know then you err on the side of caution and drive the lower end of the speed scale.

allgoingtoshitnow Fri 18-Jan-13 10:51:13

"Hahaha. Good thing I've never done it really."

Bullshit. There isn't a driver in this country whos never broken the speed limit because half the time the limit isn't signposted clearly. Plenty of sanctimonious posters who haven't been caught for it though as this thread shows. Their day will come and I know they are so utterly honest that they will return here, reopen this thread and confess their sins when it happens.

"Where is the op? "

Probably out with her DH seeing if the camera is forward or backwards facing. People rarely get caught but it pays to be safe.

Speed cameras are a complete scam. Thankfully they are slowly being removed.

Where is the op?

Plomino Fri 18-Jan-13 09:46:24

Jesus . I drive 800 miles a week minimum . Every week . Then when I get to work , I get in the job car , and drive that through London traffic , quite a lot of the time on blue light runs . Have done this for nearly 20 years . So far , in that time , I have had one speeding fine , for 37 in a 30 . But then if I get more than 6 points on my licence , I can't drive for work .

Quite apart from the fact that perverting the course of justice is a criminal offence , if the OP gets found out ( and please realise that the camera partnership take more than one photo , specifically to identify the driver ) , the insurance company will find out too . Then the OP will find it damn near impossible to get insured on her own car . Ever , because she'll be flagged up as a fraudulent driver .

Is it really worth it ? So that the DH can continue to speed with impunity and sheer fucking arrogance ?

BlueyDragon Fri 18-Jan-13 08:21:50

I can't believe anyone would suggest that law breaking is acceptable just because it happens frequently. How on earth does that make it the right thing to do? People frequently lie to insurance companies (fraud), shoplift (theft), ride bikes without lights, speed, commit benefit fraud, take illegal drugs - should all of these be acceptable because they happen often? Er, no. Because they increase costs to consumers who are honest or put people at risk or fuel organised crime, which costs us all - the estimated £2billion profits from organised crime have an even worse tax payout than some big corporations I could mention and get people killed into the bargain. "Small" crimes are as important as big ones and I can't believe anyone would suggest that committing one is OK.

I appreciate many people speed occasionally but if you get caught, be man enough to take the consequences and then if you are worried about losing your licence, don't do it again. Then you won't lose your job. Easy when you think about it, isn't it, and no-one need risk anything at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now