To refuse to take 3 points on my licence for speeding when I wasn't the driver

(254 Posts)
hmc Wed 16-Jan-13 20:14:21

....because that's called perverting the course of justice and if found out it attracts a custodial sentence

I have a clean licence. They have a lot of points and need to drive for their job

hmc Wed 16-Jan-13 20:44:04

No its not a joke. Even my 80 year old father clocks 76mph sometimes!

Chris Hammond is considering raising the maximum speed limit to 80 mph

HecateWhoopass Wed 16-Jan-13 20:44:14

Hell no. Not unreasonable.

If someone does something, why the hell should they get to pass on the consequences of their choice onto someone else?

It's not difficult to stay within the speed limit. If you choose to not do so - you make that choice knowing that if you get caught - there are consequences. those are YOUR consequences.

If he doesn't want to get any more points, then I'll let him into a little secret how this can be achieved.

come closer,

closer

shhhhhhh...right up close...

DON'T BLOODY SPEED!!

CunningPlan Wed 16-Jan-13 20:44:50

If he can't concentrate on keeping his speed within the limit, then he is also guilty of driving without due care and attention.

^ This. I take the point that almost everyone has done 80 on the motorway, but if you do, you have to suck it up if you get caught. It's no use breaking the law (and endangering lives no less) and then whining that it isn't fair.

hmc Wed 16-Jan-13 20:45:04

Philip Hammond, I mean! (Chris must be an old boyfriend)

AnnoyingOrange Wed 16-Jan-13 20:46:32

Is he still driving that high performance German car? He needs to buy something slower smile

comingintomyown Wed 16-Jan-13 20:46:48

No way would I take them and that was before hearing hes done a course already on managing his driving hmm

landofsoapandglory Wed 16-Jan-13 20:48:18

Most people have been a bit dozy and got 3 points.

I haven't, I've had my licence 25 years this year and haven't had any points, DH is the same and has had his almost 31 years.

Maybe it's time to make people resit their tests if they clock up six points within a two year period, like they do new drivers.

carlywurly Wed 16-Jan-13 20:48:48

I wouldn't. You also have to declare it to car insurers and if you end up getting any more within 5 years, you will end up with a high premium. His must be pretty bad already, but that's his issue..

Theas18 Wed 16-Jan-13 20:49:09

Just say no OP.

To the other half- why are you such a dim idiot? You can cut your speed and drive at the limit for the road. Because you clearly are arrogant enough to think you know better and are "such" a good driver that the rules don't apply to you, isn't a good enough excuse. They apply to everyone.

OP. why do you, and yor children Contine to put yor lives at risk by being driven, in excess of the speed limit on the road? Driving at or below the limit is the safe way to look after your family. He clearly doesn't see this.

HoneyDragon Wed 16-Jan-13 20:57:12

Dh has just commented that he drives on average a thousand miles a week and that amount of driving should make you a better safer driver, not one more likely to be caught speeding.

HoneyDragon Wed 16-Jan-13 20:58:35

Oh and dh has been driving 30 years and kept his licence clean

thegreylady Wed 16-Jan-13 20:59:37

Any chance of a course instead of points-I was offered the option?
Don't take them YANBU-all he has to do is keep to the speed limit off motorways.

Snorbs Wed 16-Jan-13 21:00:52

If he is unobservant enough to be caught speeding three times then it's time he realises that he's crap at it and he should give up trying.

Plus if his car control is so poor that he sees it as inevitable that he will get even more points, he needs to consider going on an advanced driving course to teach him some skills.

I've been driving 23 years and I'm a pretty careful driver (ex police/mod drivers so have done advanced driving skills) but even I have 3 points.

I think it very much depends where you live - I was fine driving in Scotland and the north east where there is much less traffic but the south east where I live now is insane for speed cameras.

There was a camera catching people in London yesterday described in the daily mail - box junction, you can't see the end of it clearly - only 4 cars can enter without getting caught because of the next set of lights - it catches a driver every 3 minutes. Totally unreasonable and unpredictable.

McNewPants2013 Wed 16-Jan-13 21:02:52

thegreylady He doesn't think he will be offered a bad driver school because he has done one in the past year

Sallyingforth Wed 16-Jan-13 21:04:29

to hmc's husband...
You are a fucking idiot to continue speeding when you've been caught several times before.

But trying to involve your wife in a far more serious crime that could involve her going to jail is unforgiveable. This forum is fairly relaxed when it comes to swearing but if I was to describe what I think of you my post wouldn't be here for you to read.

Grow up! And learn to take your punishment like a man instead of expecting someone else to do it for you.

20 years driving here, no points and I used to do 40k a year too. Your DH is an arse, quite frankly.

BartletForTeamGB Wed 16-Jan-13 21:04:57

"No scurry, of course he wouldn't deliberately be risking his home and job - he's just dozy in the mornings and he's only ever got points from going slightly over in a 30."

Gosh, I hope he doesn't accidentally kill a child one morning because "he's just dozy in the mornings."

exexpat Wed 16-Jan-13 21:05:51

It is a criminal offence - just ask Chris Huhne MP and his ex-wife. I'd suggest you get him to read that, then tell him to stop being so stupid and driving so fast.

lottiegarbanzo Wed 16-Jan-13 21:06:41

Haven't you both heard of the case (as in court) of Chris Huhne and his ex-wife? That's former minister Chris Huhne - who lost his job becuse he's on trial for the serious offence of asking his then wife to take his points.

hmm

Yeah, that's the same. hmm Being a bit dozy and not clocking your doing 36 instead of 30 at 6.30am.

And running over children.

bureni Wed 16-Jan-13 21:09:42

He has no chance of getting away with asking you to take the blame, the speed camera will have recorded the reg number, car and driver. He should just man up and admit he was a total dickhead (again)

lockets Wed 16-Jan-13 21:10:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

merrymouse Wed 16-Jan-13 21:21:23

No YANBU.

At some point he has to learn to obey the speed limit. If he has done a speeding course in the last year, has just got another ticket, and thinks it is inevitable that he will get 3 more points in the next 12 weeks should he really have a job that involves so much driving?

At what point would he decide to take responsibility for his driving - when you both have 9 points on your licenses and can take no more courses?

SoftKittyWarmKitty Wed 16-Jan-13 21:27:51

I've been driving over 20 years and I disagree with the seemingly widely held view that everyone speeds. I don't, in fact I actively try not to. It's not worth it.

Why does he repeatedly speed? Can't he just set off earlier if he doesn't want to be late, or does it make him feel all manly to go fast? There are some very sad stories on this thread from last month. He should read them.

Your H has committed a criminal act. If you take the points, you will have too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now