Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To refuse to take 3 points on my licence for speeding when I wasn't the driver

(254 Posts)
hmc Wed 16-Jan-13 20:14:21

....because that's called perverting the course of justice and if found out it attracts a custodial sentence

I have a clean licence. They have a lot of points and need to drive for their job

Pippinintherain Wed 16-Jan-13 20:34:17

*ffs

polkadotsrock Wed 16-Jan-13 20:34:45

No offer of a 'bad driver school'? I was given the option and took it with open arms!!! Although I think it depends on what area you are in

hmc Wed 16-Jan-13 20:34:50

Thanks AnnoyingOrange

marquesas Wed 16-Jan-13 20:35:17

Why is he "fearful that other speeding offences may occur"? Does his car have a mind of it's own that overrides him driving within the speed limit (is he Knight Rider grin).

He'll have to do what I and lots of others and I'm sure you do and do his very best not to speed.

hmc Wed 16-Jan-13 20:35:32

He doesn't think he will be offered a bad driver school because he has done one in the past year

FelicityWasSanta Wed 16-Jan-13 20:35:44

He seems to have no idea where the brake is. How odd.

FloweryDrawers Wed 16-Jan-13 20:37:02

So he wants you to take the points because he's basically saying that he's going to speed and get caught again in the course of the next 3-4 years.

So if you do take the points, what will you do WHEN he does it again?

Don't be guilted into doing this by any talk of "you" risking the house, DCs' livelihood or any of that. HE is doing the risking. If he doesn't want the points, then he bloody well stops speeding, using any of the technology now available to help him do this.

McNewPants2013 Wed 16-Jan-13 20:38:22

He needs to cut his speed, so this is his 3rd speeding offence in under 5 years.
surely he would of learnt his lesson by now.

and no i wouldn't take the points, i have had my licence 9 years and not a single point has been put on there.

www.nopenaltypoints.co.uk/SpeedAwarenessCourse.html

perhaps he could get himself on one of these courses.

maddening Wed 16-Jan-13 20:38:49

Well it's illegal isn't it?

BigStickBIWI Wed 16-Jan-13 20:39:25

Your (D)H is being a twat, hmc. (Sorry. I'm guessing you probably already know that wink)

If his job relies on him having a driving licence, then he needs to make sure he drives within the speed limit so he doesn't risk losing it.

If he can't concentrate on keeping his speed within the limit, then he is also guilty of driving without due care and attention.

Twattybollocks Wed 16-Jan-13 20:39:26

Do not take the points. You do the crime you face the consequences. He is the one who is speeding, he needs to stop speeding, not carry on and expect you to carry the can. For the record I have personal experience of this, the driver lost their license even though someone else had taken points for them several times.

ClaraDeLaNoche Wed 16-Jan-13 20:39:26

It's absolutely up to you. I wouldn't be horrified if you did say it was you driving, it's not a big deal and people do it all the time.

hmc Wed 16-Jan-13 20:39:47

Must admit - I never, ever speed in 30's or 40's etc (built up areas - risk to pedestrians), but like practically everyone else I see on the motorway / dual carriageway I do 75-80 sometimes on motorways... so I have some sympathy with him at 79 (I would however be highly censorious of him if it was 85/90 though). But it changes nothing - he has to take the rap.

No scurry, of course he wouldn't deliberately be risking his home and job - he's just dozy in the mornings and he's only ever got points from going slightly over in a 30.

If he drove through 4 like that in a short period of time he could easily get 12 points. Where he got 3 was on a dual carriageway in Watford where you go from 60 to 30 very quickly - it was that unreasonable they got rid of the camera.

Most people have been a bit dozy and got 3 points. I think if he'd had that happen in a very short period of time - in a time not long enough to have got the letter for the first 3 through the door then I'd take them.

scurryfunge Wed 16-Jan-13 20:40:38

I find it strange that some people on this thread are prepared to go to prison in order to preserve their partner's driving licence. Not much good to your children if you are in Holloway?

specialsubject Wed 16-Jan-13 20:41:36

so he is such a bad driver that he cannot a) control his speed b) can't drive and keep within speed and c) even after a training course still can't do what the rest of us can?

he is also such a total ARSE that he thinks the rules don't apply to him. Don't take the points. The only thing he should be doing on the road is sweeping it.

are you Mrs Chris Huhne, or is there more than one of these arrogant neanderthals about?

McNewPants2013 Wed 16-Jan-13 20:41:36

but like practically everyone else I see on the motorway / dual carriageway I do 75-80 sometimes on motorways

I hope that is a joke, I never speed. Speed limits are there for a reason

Porkster Wed 16-Jan-13 20:41:55

He really needs to stop speeding (states the bleedin' obvious).

We have friends who have done the taking points for each other thing, and not just one couple we know, at least 3.

Portofino Wed 16-Jan-13 20:41:59

a lapse of concentration? I pased my driving test nearly 26 years ago and have NEVER had a speeding ticket. It is not THAT hard!

StickEmUp Wed 16-Jan-13 20:42:00

He's done a speed course already?! hmm
Gosh. I can't believe anyone would say please take the points. Let alone a person who claims to love you. I assume a 'H' does this nowadays. Love bit I mean

keely79 Wed 16-Jan-13 20:42:47

YANBU - it is up to him not to speed. There is no-one forcing him to do so.

Portofino Wed 16-Jan-13 20:42:54

It's a limit, not a target as some wise MNetter said once....

specialsubject Wed 16-Jan-13 20:42:56

ps and I don't speed on the motorway either. Apart from it being against the law, anyone who does must get free petrol. Drag goes up as square of speed.

ClaraDeLaNoche Wed 16-Jan-13 20:43:04

Well if challenged one could just say Oh silly me, I thought I was driving that day. Doh.

AngryTrees Wed 16-Jan-13 20:43:42

Get him to read this:

www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9968897.MP_s_speeding_points_trial_set_for_next_year/

Perverting the course of justice trial- this MP and his wife did exactly what your husband is trying to persuade you to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now