To refuse to take 3 points on my licence for speeding when I wasn't the driver

(254 Posts)
hmc Wed 16-Jan-13 20:14:21

....because that's called perverting the course of justice and if found out it attracts a custodial sentence

I have a clean licence. They have a lot of points and need to drive for their job

LittleChimneyDroppings Wed 16-Jan-13 20:25:24

So if he gets the points he loses his job?

CloudsAndTrees Wed 16-Jan-13 20:25:25

YANBU.

What will be the consequences if you don't?

scurryfunge Wed 16-Jan-13 20:25:25

Wow, Laurie, would your DH really risk the job and home for the sake of 6 mph?

hmc Wed 16-Jan-13 20:25:35

He gets stressed and then becomes unreasonable. He usually comes around in the end

ENormaSnob Wed 16-Jan-13 20:26:50

No way would I do this for dh. Or anyone else.

It's his own stupid fault.

Presumably he knew he already had points yet continued to speed?

hmc Wed 16-Jan-13 20:27:03

He doesn't lose his job - he is just fearful that further speeding offences may occur within the next 3-4 years putting him at 12

Locketjuice Wed 16-Jan-13 20:28:23

I would take them.

irishkitkat Wed 16-Jan-13 20:28:44

TBH I probably would. I would request the evidence of speeding first to see if there's any clear indication of who was the driver and if it was possible I would take the points. I know it's not ethical or legal and I would be enraged at DH for putting me in that position but that's what I would do. My DCs life I.e. house, food on the table etc depends on my DH and I earning and I wouldn't risk it all for 3 points. Sorry you've been put in this position and I don't think you're unreasonable whatever you decide sad

hmc Wed 16-Jan-13 20:29:34

I have suggested to him asking for the video evidence. He wasn't impressed

AnnoyingOrange Wed 16-Jan-13 20:29:57

He needs to buy one of those devices that tell you what speed he should be doing and whee the speed cameras are. And then take notice of it

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 16-Jan-13 20:30:25

Tell him to cut his speed then he wouldn't be in this position.

irishkitkat Wed 16-Jan-13 20:30:27

Sorry HMC just seen that your DH won't lose his job. In those circs I wouldn't take the points.

Abra1d Wed 16-Jan-13 20:30:32

'Depends. I would for dh if be got them all at going through a 30 at 36. He's a bit dozy but doesn't speed much.

I'm not going to lose our house, his job for 3 points.'

That would doing more than 20% over the speed limit, you would be perjuring yourself for.

RuleBritannia Wed 16-Jan-13 20:31:27

I agree with the others. You should not take the blame. It would be against the law.

Having said that, <just wondering> during that journey on the dual carriageway, did you plead with him ask him to slow down?

ENormaSnob Wed 16-Jan-13 20:31:34

So he wants you to do it just in case he decides to speed in future? hmm

Is he normally such a tool or just a bit thick?

ilovesooty Wed 16-Jan-13 20:31:50

If it only takes him to 9 and he's going to lose 3 in March he'll just have to be more careful in future, won't he?

No, you shouldn't take the points, why both risk being prosecuted for a criminal offence? quite apart from the fact that they are his points due to his bad driving and he needs start driving within the speed limit. TBH if his job depends on it then he should be more on the ball about his speed and driving altogether. It's not tough on him- the limit is there for a reason.

hmc Wed 16-Jan-13 20:32:16

AnnoyingOrange - will look for one of those! I think it probably is easy to lapse in concentration and do 79 in a 70 - perhaps when overtaking....especially when you drive 4x the average motorists annual mileage. It sounds like a useful tool - but he does need to take note of it

echt Wed 16-Jan-13 20:32:20

"His previous speeding offences"?

"He will get caught again"?

He just doesn't seem to care or accept any responsibility.

An arse for breaking the speed limit and an even bigger arse for wanting you to break the law to excuse his feckless attitudes.

landofsoapandglory Wed 16-Jan-13 20:32:39

He will only get caught again if he carries on speeding. Tell him to set his cruise control and drive within the limits.

EarnestDullard Wed 16-Jan-13 20:33:01

"he is just fearful that further speeding offences may occur within the next 3-4 years putting him at 12"??

Is he aware that speeding is something he is doing, not something that happens to him? Tell him to be take responsibility for his actions and stop breaking the speed limit. Arse (him, not you).

AnnoyingOrange Wed 16-Jan-13 20:33:32
Pippinintherain Wed 16-Jan-13 20:33:59

Well if he stops speeding he won't get caught will he?

It's not difficult to actually obey the speed limit offs.

BellaVita Wed 16-Jan-13 20:34:12

He needs to control himself in the roads.

What ENorma said.

I am speechless, really I am.

KumquatMae Wed 16-Jan-13 20:34:16

If you're worried that you might get more points, OP'S husband, how about you just don't drive above the speed limit?
Hth smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now