To wonder why nursery can't say 'poo'?

(83 Posts)

They say 'bowel movement', which is of course a more technically correct name, but come on, just say poo! We're talking about small kids here, not grown-ups unlike me grin

MonaLotte Wed 16-Jan-13 13:11:36

I hate the word poo! I say poop so there!

MrsMelons Wed 16-Jan-13 13:12:33

because they are being daft, our nursery said poo!

MrsGeologist Wed 16-Jan-13 13:14:46

Dr Ranj says poo.

I think you should only ever refer to it as faeces and the action as defecating. Whenever the staff mention a 'bowel movement', purse your lips in disapproval. Go on, I dare you! grin

Either that, or start referring to it as shit, which sounds especially good in the past tense: " Don't worry, he/she shat after breakfast, so you should be OK for a few hours".

Oh yes I say poop too grin

grin ThreeBees!

fluffyanimal Wed 16-Jan-13 13:17:19

Even the GI consultant I saw recently said "poo".

My DS's nursery refers to the boys' penises as tails. That led to all kinds of confusion!

Wtf fluffy?! Are they embarrassed or somat?

LoopsInHoops Wed 16-Jan-13 13:20:26

Urgh I hate 'poop'. Sounds like some overly kitsch American parent couldn't handle the word 'poo'.

NaturalBaby Wed 16-Jan-13 13:25:05

Tails?!?

ArtemisatBrauron Wed 16-Jan-13 13:26:16

Fluffy. Hahaha at "tails", that is very weird and bound to lead to therapy later in life grin

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Wed 16-Jan-13 13:27:05

That's fucking ridiculous to refer to penises as tails!! How stupid!

If you are dealing with anyone under the age of 97, it is fine to say poo. No idea about after 97.

YANBU.

Splinters Wed 16-Jan-13 13:27:06

Tails! Ha!

nickelbabe Wed 16-Jan-13 13:27:11

poop is an awful word.

poo is Brit English.

KoalaTale Wed 16-Jan-13 13:29:14

Lol at 'tails'!!! What name is given for little girls privates?I don't know what the norm is to teach toddler dd, I imagine boys is willy?

WhatchuTalkinBoutPhyllis Wed 16-Jan-13 13:30:07

TAILS! WTF hmm

LoopsInHoops Wed 16-Jan-13 13:31:24

Tails?!!! I'd be complaining about that, they are going to get mightily confused by that!

littlemisssunny Wed 16-Jan-13 13:32:08

My sons nursery school refered to them as tails aswell! Very confusing!

And what's wrong with the word poo? Bowel movement just sounds weird!

Penis is actually taken from the Latin word for tail....so it's not that outrageous.

It does sound odd in today's society though grin

everlong Wed 16-Jan-13 13:35:58

Poop aka poopy coop. That's just wrong.

Turd is better wink

Chopsypie Wed 16-Jan-13 13:40:17

When I went for my scan the sonographer said that my baby had 'boy parts'

It wasnt until afterwards I realised that sure as a medical professional, she should have been comfortable with the word penis?

juneybean Wed 16-Jan-13 13:46:18

On daily sheets I'm nurseries I've worked in we used to write dirty or wet

carabos Wed 16-Jan-13 14:16:29

A former colleague always used to use "tail" when she meant "penis" (and she mentioned them surprisingly often for a work environment grin). I had never heard the expression before and it took me ages to work out what the hell she was talking about (and indeed why she was talking about them at work). She called her clitoris her "bean" and her vagina her "foof". It was actually quite difficult to have a sensible conversation with her she talked about sex all the time.

When she had a one-night stand with a very ungallant mate of mine, he insisted that he wouldn't go out with her again because it was too terrifying being in bed with someone who talked in a baby voice and wanted him to say "night night to foo-foo" after sex...hmm.

Think poo is less discomfiting however...

TiggyD Wed 16-Jan-13 14:20:06

It's normally dirty or soiled when written, poo or dirty when spoken in the nurseries I work in. Some do spell poo as pooh though.

And one child I looked after called it shit, but he was from Reading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now