Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

My husband thinks IABU for NOT allowing

(296 Posts)
Nooneelseisallowedafergus Mon 14-Jan-13 20:06:38

Toilet brushes in the house.

I have a toilet duck one with disposable brushes which you flush after one use.
And strongly feel this is the only option for hygiene. I can't bear the thought of my toddler or baby getting their hands on a poo encrusted toilet brush, or god forbid coming anywhere near the poo water which is always to be found pooling in the bottom of the toilet brush holder.

In my opinion it is beyond minging to own them, especially if you have young children in the house.

My husband thinks I am an anal germ hater.

What say the wise users of Mumsnet?

Hulababy Mon 14-Jan-13 20:46:55

No toilet brushes in my house either. Hate the idea of them. I am capable of cleaning the toilets without.

Theicingontop Mon 14-Jan-13 20:49:13

My OH banned them, but I bought one last month because I was sick and tired of sticking my hand (albeit gloved) in the toilet to scrub it with a scourer.

They are not unhygienic if you wash them thoroughly and germ-kill!!! Bleaching just bleaches the grime white. It doesn't dissolve all of it and it builds up.

GiveMeSomeSpace Mon 14-Jan-13 20:50:13

OCD OCD OCD. Lost the plot and OCD

TheProvincialLady Mon 14-Jan-13 20:50:40

It's all a bit LMC this toilet brush hatred isn't it?

Writehand Mon 14-Jan-13 20:51:57

Yes, NooneelseisallowedaFergus (sorry but I've already got one), germs can kill, but you seem to be in danger of getting it a tad out of proportion. Washing hands is all you need to remove poo from them.

Thousands of children (millions actually) yes - but not from loo brushes round here. We have clean water and proper sanitation, etc.

TBH, I'd be prepared to bet a fiver (and me not a betting woman) that statistically speaking your kids - and everyone's - in this country are considerably more at risk from the bleach and such we all have. How many toddlers died of bleach poisoning last year? More than died from loo brush licking, I'd guess.

Nooneelseisallowedafergus Mon 14-Jan-13 20:52:00

Theprovinciallady
I think a young child could get a v severe bout of gastroenteritis by coming in to contact with human faeces. And like I said I do provide an alternative - flushable toilet brushes.

TheProvincialLady Mon 14-Jan-13 20:52:13

I'll stop nowgrin

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Mon 14-Jan-13 20:53:20

I have a toilet brush. I always disinfect it after use, so it is clean. I also don't allow my DD to play in the bathroom with toilet brushes hmm

Nooneelseisallowedafergus Mon 14-Jan-13 20:55:51

Completely agree about the bleach point. It is beyond important to keep lids on properly and out of reach of children.

Still wouldn't keep a brush covered in poo next to my toilet though. And a baby touching one isn't going to know what it is, put it down and wash it's hands thoroughly with soap confused

Nooneelseisallowedafergus Mon 14-Jan-13 20:58:50

And before anyone says, I don't allow my babies to play by themselves in the toilet / bathroom, but they do come in when I'm on the loo, dealing with toddler on the loo, when I'm in the shower etc and they can move fast and be into something before you know it.

GiveMeSomeSpace Mon 14-Jan-13 20:59:13

OP do you also have a "shoes off" policy in the house?

echt Mon 14-Jan-13 20:59:54

Toilet brushes are OK. I keep mine standing in a mixture of bleach and disinfectant. Once a month the mix is replaced and the brushes soaked in hot water and bleach. Even this is a bit of a conscience-twinger because of the environmental costs of producing bleach. Brushes replaced when the bristles get bendy.

All the waste here and frankly deluded obsession with hygiene is very strange.

Does anyone really really believe that everyone in their house washes their hands thoroughly after every visit to the toilet.? Really? Do they close the lid every time they flush? That door knob, that light switch will be pretty germy, I should think, so unless the washing facilities are outside the lavatory, you've got shit in your house.

The best you can hope for is to keep drilling on the hand washing, especially before handling food

thesnootyfox Mon 14-Jan-13 21:00:58

I like the idea of disposable brushes, can't quite picture them though. confused You have to something, bleach on it's own is not sufficient.

Iggly Mon 14-Jan-13 21:02:43

Why is your child wandering about unattended and at risk of grabbing the shit loo brush?

We have one but it's for cleaning the toilet, not shoving shit down. If a turd gets stuck, we use a bucket of water to swoosh it away.

Brush is used to clean the loo, then rinsed after use.

We have a separate loo and keep the door closed so none of the DCs can get to it.

Nooneelseisallowedafergus Mon 14-Jan-13 21:04:19

Yes givemesomespace because we have a crawler and someone might have stepped in dog shit.

McNewPants2013 Mon 14-Jan-13 21:05:44

<Where do you all keep your tooth brushes>

every time you flush your toilet droplets of toilet water go on your toothbrush!

Nooneelseisallowedafergus Mon 14-Jan-13 21:06:26

Basically, I can do 'poo' what parent can't. I wipe many bottoms per day and clean toilets etc. I even had a 3 legged cat who sometimes needed some help when he had a balance problem. I just want to minimise the poo i have to deal with.

Poo minimisation not maximisation.

TheProvincialLady Mon 14-Jan-13 21:06:43

I have heard of loads of cases of small children smearing human faeces - their own, and their siblings, all over themselves, a toy or their bedroom. It's very unpleasant but none of them caught gastroenteritis, let alone died of it.

If you lived in a hard water area like mine you'd find, like I did, that even the strongest toilet cleaners with limescale removers do sod all and you need to scrub with a brush.

Iggly Mon 14-Jan-13 21:06:56

Toothbrush is in a different room (separate loo)

And if they're in the same room, put the seat down.

Bogeyface Mon 14-Jan-13 21:07:08

YABU

Who on earth would leave a poo covered brush there?! They are easy to wash in a flushing loo!

I have always had them never found a toddler using one as a lolly in 22 years of child rearing.

I put bleach down, leave it while I clean the bathroom then scrub the loo, flush, stick some more bleach in and leave the brush to soak while I change the towels etc. Its clean, the loo is clean and it hasnt killed anyone so far!

Bogeyface Mon 14-Jan-13 21:07:46

There is a definite link between "shoes off" and "no bog brush" on MN!

Bogeyface Mon 14-Jan-13 21:09:01

Yes givemesomespace because we have a crawler and someone might have stepped in dog shit.

Do you not think that your guests might have noticed? "Excuse me, would you mind removing your shoes because I am worried you might be too stupid to notice that you are up to your eyes in canine crap?"

Bogeyface Mon 14-Jan-13 21:10:31

And may I add that all you are doing with your "flushable" solution is making your shit someone elses problem.

You have I am sure, read the outrage at people flushing tampons, well what you are doing is no better.

cantspel Mon 14-Jan-13 21:10:39

I am going to have to go on dragon den with my idea of a lockable loo brush. It will lock into its case so all these mothers who seem incapable of keeping their child away from a loo brush can sleep easy at night knowing their pfb has not toddled into the bathroom and touched a any poo. They will be sold with a pair of handcuff so you can lock your childs hab=nds to the cot at night so they cant stick their hands down their own nappy and run the risk of touching poo.

I will give the dragons 10% for £159k and all the loo brushes they will ever need.

We have loo brushes - the DC's know not to touch them although my DD (10yrs) knows to clean her skids!

Can't see the problem really - we're all fine with no nasty diseases! I'm not that worried about germs really...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now