to want to have a small whine about DH?

(35 Posts)
CheerfulYank Mon 14-Jan-13 18:35:57

Now. I adore the man, and he's rather lovely in many ways, but... <insert ominous music > he's a rogue grocery shopper.

For instance, yesterday he took DS to church (I had a massive headache so didn't go) and was late getting back because he decided to run to the store. All well and good.

However, he bought: eggs, bananas, bread, milk, carrots (all good), and then some sliced ham for sandwiches. And about six large blocks of cheese. hmm Also tons of hummus and a large tub of yogurt.

All of this is good stuff, but he considers this "doing the shopping." So when I mention in a few days that we need to run to the store (so I can get some things to actually cook) he'll look wounded and say "but I just went!"

He honestly be fine eating eggs and toast and cold sandwiches for days but it's below zero here and I want to make proper stews, etc.

Arrrgh! I know it is certainly not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, just a small thing that drives me mental. Thanks for listening. grin

CheerfulYank Tue 15-Jan-13 18:14:43

And I really don't think he DOES see it's insufficient! Which completely dumbfounds me.

CheerfulYank Tue 15-Jan-13 18:11:44

We could stuntgirl but he goes at random times. Like on Sunday he probably just realized he had some time after church and knew we were low on food at home.

Aaarrgghh. I'm deciding what I want to cook the next few weeks and making a proper list and he'll just have to go back.

StuntGirl Tue 15-Jan-13 17:35:19

It's just selfishness imo. He might like little snacky foods but surely he must see that a food shop like that is insufficient to feed a family? The 'looking wounded' part would piss me off the most. You're not trying to be spiteful (and probably neither is he to be fair) but food needs to be bought and people need to be fed.

Could you meal plan together and write a shopping list?

therewearethen Tue 15-Jan-13 17:14:49

So it's not just my DP who does random shopping! Mine always comes back with orange juice and some sort of chocolate or biscuits, usually dark chocolate which I hate angry or he'll buy and eat chocolate or crisps in the car and thinks I don't know but I check the receipt always know!

MrsLouisTheroux Tue 15-Jan-13 17:05:38

Kiwi : MrsLouisTheroux are you really Mrs Theroux? I always imagined he was single
In my dreams I am indeed the real Mrs L Th grin He is not single <sigh>.

ZillionChocolate Tue 15-Jan-13 07:36:14

I recommend the our groceries app for iPhone. It's a online shopping list you can share. You need to out some work into customising it to get the most out of it (eg by setting up different categories so it groups all relevant things together). In your situation, I'd set up recipes on there so that you can quickly add meals.

Dp does all the food shopping and we never have a problem. He does lots of the cooking too though so maybe that makes a difference.

ripsishere Tue 15-Jan-13 05:00:44

My DH did that recently. He was going to the supermarket for a hair cut and I asked him to pick something up for dinner that evening.
He came home with a whole fish, half a kilo of prawns some things in shells and a carton of UHT cream.
I don't eat fish.

Kiwiinkits Tue 15-Jan-13 02:06:53

[aside]
MrsLouisTheroux are you really Mrs Theroux? I always imagined he was single and about to travel to New Zealand to do one of his fabulous, irreverent, ironic and dry documentaries whereby he would find me, sweep me up in his skinny Jarvis Cocker arms and kiss me passionately

CheerfulYank Mon 14-Jan-13 21:20:18

No Pandemoniaa it's normal winter weather for Minnesota. smile

Lunatic he is honestly happy to snack on crackers with meat and cheese and hummus throughout the day, or make scrambled egg sandwiches. Or he mixes up oats, yogurt, and frozen blueberries.

I think part of it is his IBS, he feels better if he eats smaller portions of things.

DoJo Mon 14-Jan-13 21:10:42

We write a shopping list on the front of the fridge in dry wipe marker - take a photo on the phone as you leave the house: job's a good'un!

MrsLyman Mon 14-Jan-13 20:44:13

DH went shopping on Saturday morning, he did a crap random shop, but we had a bit of a milestone moment when he said upon his return that he did a crap random shop.

Hahaha I don't want to push him too far! Though he does make THE best scrambled eggs in the world...
though he does always come home from Tesco with Lego minifigures... hmm

Ariel21 Mon 14-Jan-13 20:07:14

Left to his own devices mine would buy steak, fizzy drinks and a pack of 18 cream eggs. Oh and electrical goods! It's not worth the risk.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OurGroceries... On android smile

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I have resolved this by getting an app to make shopping lists which automatically updates on both of our phones... He's a bit of a geek, and the technological aspect appeals to him! He just can't help himself wink

Katisha Mon 14-Jan-13 19:39:02

He may well have one if he writes it.

JusticeCrab Mon 14-Jan-13 19:37:03

Katisha: Presumably when your DH goes shopping, he has a little list?

Katisha Mon 14-Jan-13 19:34:10

"can't shop" yeah right ...

theoriginalgomummygo Mon 14-Jan-13 19:31:55

ROFL @ "giant, rocket-propelled arsehole"

theoriginalgomummygo Mon 14-Jan-13 19:28:46

Yes Elmo has nailed it.

I will give your DH points for the milk, eggs, bread and carrots though! <easily impressed> grin

JusticeCrab Mon 14-Jan-13 19:27:58

There was a missing 'but' in that post, between 'missed' and 'I'.

JusticeCrab Mon 14-Jan-13 19:27:27

OP: just ban him from shopping. I'm ashamed to admit that I can't shop. I'm good for runs to the corner shop to get things we've missed, I get completely overwhelmed/overstimulated by supermarkets and bug out, even if I have a list. My DW has banned me from going with her to the supermarket because I become such a giant, rocket-propelled arsehole.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now