Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To have picked my 4 year old up 15 minutes early from school?

(126 Posts)
Hanspannerly Mon 14-Jan-13 17:02:56

I live in the north east, it is extremely snowy today. At lunch time there was abut 4 inches and road completely covered and it was snowing heavily. I live at the top of a large hill at quite high altitude, school is at bottom approx 1 mile away. It is also about -1 today. I do not have a 4x4

I rang the school to ask if I could pick DS up 15 minutes early as I could not get my car out, it was stuck in the snow. Friend who has a 4x4 offered to take me and 2 yr old DD to school to pick up DS. it had to be slightly early as she then had to pick her own child up from a different school.
Receptionist in the phone was fairly rude but agreed I could pick up early.
So I arrive at school with DD and receptionist was v rude to me. Kept going on about how the head was EXTREMELY unhappy with this. I asked what I should have done. Apparently I should have walked with a small toddler. In 4 inches of snow! She told me off like I was a child.
The hilarious thing is that when I got to reception classroom, they were watching telly!
DS has excellent attendance and is doing very well at school. AIBU? I didn't think so...but she was so rude!

DoodlesNoodles Mon 14-Jan-13 17:32:48

Do you really need to ask grin

SallyCinnamonandNutmeg Mon 14-Jan-13 17:33:21

I can understand what a few posters upthread have said about the school perhaps being worried that allowing parents to pick up children early in bad weather may set a precedent which could cause problems....but given that you explained the situation clearly to the school and they agreed to it, I don't think the receptionist was within her rights to be rude to you. It is not her place to be angry with you no matter what her opinion is.

Hanspannerly Mon 14-Jan-13 17:33:52

I usually notice when it starts to snow and manage to move my car.

Hanspannerly Mon 14-Jan-13 17:35:50

Well exactly Sally, she already ticked me off over the phone but agreed to it so I was surprised to be lectured again on collection especially as I was really in a hurry!

mrsseed Mon 14-Jan-13 17:39:28

Not enough snow here today, but when there is I use a sledge for toddler, wrapped in blanket...You need a sledge in first place, just saying might be useful next time

Hanspannerly Mon 14-Jan-13 17:41:08

Thank you, will consider that but honestly would be nigh on impossible with the hill on the way back home!

WorraLiberty England Mon 14-Jan-13 17:41:31

But why are you so reliant on a car?

What would you do if your lost your licence tomorrow...home education?

Cars are nice/convenient but it sounds as though you'r so used to having one, you've forgotten how to function without.

LittleChimneyDroppings Mon 14-Jan-13 17:44:31

YANBU. For the sake of 15 mins at the end of the day. pathetic. If the head had an issue with it he should have brought it up with you himself.

Hanspannerly Mon 14-Jan-13 17:45:21

I'm reliant on my car because I live in the middle of nowhere with very minimal bus routes. Rural County Durham to be precise. As I said I could ordinarily walk but with a toddler in the snow up a very large hill, well she wouldn't make it!

LuluMai Mon 14-Jan-13 17:47:14

Yabu and car-centric. A two year old can walk in the snow. Never had a car and had a few snowy winters over ds's life. And we lived in a very hilly rural village til ds was two!

amazingmumof6 Mon 14-Jan-13 17:47:39

I think she was cross because you failed to predict the snow and that your car would get stuck, you bad mommy!
my goodness you are disorganized! why were you not better prepared? don't you have your own tow truck & snowplough? and huskies & sleigh? and tons of sea salt?
why don't you have a 4x4? and a boat just in case it floods...... grin grin

and as to people saying walk in the snow with a toddler - even if you could have done, what's wrong with making life a bit easier by accepting a ride from a friend? he's not in prison ffs! and it is a one off!

I think you were sensible and trying to make the best of the situation by calling ahead, I would have done the same!
receptionist is a stupid cow

But it might be 15 minutes at the end of the day and not a big deal to the OP but for the school it might be 50 parents trapsing in and out of school for an hour before home time picking up their kids because they managed to get a lift.

Hanspannerly Mon 14-Jan-13 17:49:25

Lol, school was actually closed for a day last term for flooding...I was all ready to go in the morning but... ;)

WorraLiberty England Mon 14-Jan-13 17:51:07

Fair enough but have you ever thought the reason your 2yr old can't make a simple journey on foot in the snow is because you're perhaps a little too car reliant?

CloudsAndTrees Mon 14-Jan-13 17:52:03

I can see both sides of this. YANBU in the circumstances you describe, but at the same time if everyone else could manage it, I expect you could have too. I very much doubt you are the only parent in reception that has a toddler and doesn't have a 4x4.

If every parent did this, it would be very disruptive, so for that reason, YAB a little U.

Hanspannerly Mon 14-Jan-13 17:53:45

I'm not sure I'd call a two mile round trip in 4 inch snow in -1, up and down a very steep incline a simple journey. DD is actually a very good and keen walker, this was just a bit beyond her.

SallyCinnamonandNutmeg Mon 14-Jan-13 17:54:29

As you've said you'll be prepared for tomorrow and this was clearly a one off I would try not to worry about it too much. FWIW I have lost count of the number of times school receptionist has been rude or patronising to me (and others) over some minor issue or question. Seems to be part of job description for some of them! wink

Hanspannerly Mon 14-Jan-13 17:55:06

I think everyone else has a car that was crucially NOT stuck in the snow. No one walks from the top of my hill to the school.

Hanspannerly Mon 14-Jan-13 17:55:56

Thanks, Sally.

amazingmumof6 Mon 14-Jan-13 17:56:16

worra and others - why are you criticizing/asking op about her use of car? she keeps explaining that for her it would have been quite tricky to do walk in the snow with a 2 year old, why can't you just accept that?

anyway, the point is that after agreeing to this early pick up the receptionist was rude, and that's wrong, not her place to give her opinion!

Gumby Mon 14-Jan-13 17:57:36

Why didn't you get the bus?

MyNameIsLola Mon 14-Jan-13 17:57:54

YANBU.

I've had to pick my middle DS 20 minutes early many times in bad weather as my DS1 goes to a special school miles away and they send the school buses out early if it snows to miss rush hour which means I wouldn't be home to meet it if I was at DS2's school.

I'm in Yorkshire and the snow is pretty bad here too.

amazingmumof6 Mon 14-Jan-13 17:58:16

missy if it is inconvenient for the school, tough cookies.
all emergencies are inconvenient....

InNeedOfBrandy Mon 14-Jan-13 18:00:10

YANBU I pick my dc up early quite frequently (at least once a term) as I make all drs and dentist appointments after school and our school are crap at sending them out on time (they're usually still in assembly) so I ring and grab them at 3 instead of 20past. My school has never been snotty with me over this in fact they're only to happy to help so I'd be quite annoyed in your shoes.

MyNameIsLola Mon 14-Jan-13 18:00:13

And I have a 2 year old who is very used to walking as I don't drive and he struggled a lot in the snow earlier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now