To take reception DS1 out of school?

(30 Posts)
JoandMax Mon 14-Jan-13 16:21:42

DS1, 4.6 is in reception and very happy. Settled really well and learning lots, always runs in smiling. I had worried as he's a July baby and quite 'young' but so far so good.

DHs job is relocating to Dubai and he starts 1st Feb. we had planned for me and DCs to move in the Easter holidays however we are struggling to find a school place for DS1. DS2 is only 2.9 and although he likes his couple of mornings at nursery it's obviously not as important as a school place.

We have a dilemma which we need to make a decision on quite quickly for practical reasons (shipping furniture, renting our house out etc).

Do we just go at Easter even if we have no school place? Or do I stay here til summer with the DCs? In an ideal world a place will come up but if not.....

DH isn't going to be able to come home much, if at all, so what will affect DS1 more?? Not seeing Daddy or missing a term of school??

I can do reading/writing with him but my worry is the social and emotional development side, especially with him being one of the young ones, he's changed so much being in a school environment.

What would you do???

thebody Mon 14-Jan-13 18:46:17

Hope it all goes well. Dubai is awesome.

McNewPants2013 Mon 14-Jan-13 18:46:36

take him out.

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Mon 14-Jan-13 18:55:25

Hi

School places are an issue over here, as far as the Outstanding Schools are concerned and the waiting lists are ridiculously long. However, there are plenty of schools with more being built, so just make sure you get both children on the waiting lists.

Also, school fees are pretty expensive, so make sure they are part of your package from Foundation 1 age!

I would definitely keep the family together.

Homeschooling is allowed here too.

Our school teaches cursive writing from Foundation 1!

sherbetpips Mon 14-Jan-13 19:02:00

Depends on him and you I guess. Is he the social sort? My sis bought her son up in Dubai, there was pretty much no social life until he started school. If you fancy some quality time with your son go for it but if you think he will be frustrated on his own then maybe reconsider. It will already be in the 30's in April, v v v hot in summer. JESS schools are the bees knees over there!

desertgirl Mon 14-Jan-13 19:44:38

sherbertpips; your sis must have worked quite hard to avoid having a social life for her son in Dubai, other than possibly in the summer. The expat community (especially the SAHMs, envy) is generally very sociable and there are plenty of things to do with wee ones.

Yes both JESS schools are good, there are other good schools however and the Jess schools are both hard to get into unless your DH is working somewhere with a corporate debenture - ideally don't get fixated on a particular school; look around and ask around.

Best of luck, JoandMax smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now