Bloody reading journals. AIBU?

(105 Posts)
InNeatCognac Mon 14-Jan-13 11:12:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jux Wed 16-Jan-13 08:12:34

DD was like your two, op. Her teacher wasn't worried about her reading but said boxes needed to be ticked. So I just made things up about dd's reading as I thought the most important thing was ensure reading didn't become a chore.

I did read to her though. While she was in the bath, every evening. I stopped when she was in Y8 (only last year!). It started off as 'leading by example) but in the end was a good bonding process for us. Harder for you with two children though.

booksteensandmagazines Wed 16-Jan-13 11:40:16

Reading records are the bane of teachers lives too. But ultimately the idea is to create an atmosphere where reading is seen as a positive thing for children to do and that parents support it - hence the signing. Its frustrating when you know your child is reading and is a good reader but if a school has a policy about reading records then it applies to everyone equally.
As children grow up and become more independent in their reading then they can provide the comment that you write - in effect this shows not just that they are reading but that they are comprehending what they read and are able to comment on it which is equally important.
Reading aloud should be done by children of all ages in primary school - its a skill they should develop and is very different to reading quietly to themselves.
However life is busy and reality is you're not going to remember to sign every day, you're not going to find time to hear your child read aloud every day and you're not always going to have a clever comment to make. Don't take offence at the teacher's note - she's just doing her job and she has to show her head teacher she is doing her job - just do what you can and remain positive about reading in front of your children. However annoying it is, its much better to have a school that monitors reading than one that doesn't.

DizzyHoneyBee Thu 17-Jan-13 22:52:12

Try writing in there that your child has been enjoying 'Fifty shades of grey' and see what happens grin

hrrumph Thu 17-Jan-13 23:34:06

My dd is a good reader but even though she reads things like Narnia there are loads of words she doesn't know the meaning of, she often misunderstands the point of a joke. I think it's still valuable to do a bit of reading with them just to help with the understanding. Reading records - we are now very bad at writing in them I have to confess. But we generally do a bit of reading together at bedtime.

BackforGood Fri 18-Jan-13 00:19:29

You need to be consistent across the class
No you don't sausage - why would any child need to know what is going on in any other child's planner? confused. 3 out of the 4 teachers ds had in Junior school were confident enough in their own professional judgement to be able to understand that there was nothing to be gained - but potentially a lot to be lost - by making reading into a homework chore for him, when it was something he did extensively if he wasn't made to write in his planner. You don't set the same work for all the children in any other area,(I hope) so why in this ?
I agree reading aloud is a valuable skill to learn, I agree reading to different audiences is a valuable thing to learn, I agree it's good to discuss with your dc what they read - indeed, things you've read, as they get older, particularly - no-one's questioning that, it's then "recording" that you've done it that is a pain in the bum. Good parents do stuff all the time that helps their child's development... from the first games of 'copy me' when they are a few weeks old, all through their lives - talking to them, listening to them, pointing things out as you walk or drive places, taking them places, answering questions, indeed posing questions, shopping with them, cooking with them, letting them handle money, looking at clocks and time with them, going over times tables, etc.,etc.,etc., but there wouldn't be enough time in the day to write down each time they do learning at home, so why - if all is well and they are making good progess, do some schools feel this need to record if a parent has heard them read that day?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now