Bloody reading journals. AIBU?

(105 Posts)
InNeatCognac Mon 14-Jan-13 11:12:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheFallenMadonna Mon 14-Jan-13 19:22:39

I ask to see working in Science because there's often a mark for stating the equation, and if they think they can do it in their head but can't, I want to know where they've gone wrong.

Dancergirl Mon 14-Jan-13 19:52:19

YANBU

Same here, the school reading book is a drop in the ocean of the many, many books my lot read over a week.

I just write 'good reading' and sign the book.

Arithmeticulous Mon 14-Jan-13 19:54:29

I haven't seen my 8 year old's reading diary in ages- thinking about it, I presume he's writing in it at school. We don't have to sign, just write a comment about how much they enjoyed the book, where they struggled etc - which I hate because it's so open ended. DD is a free reader but still on a band because the teacher hasn't listened to her in months her comprehension was lacking in September. She's reading Secret Seven constantly and wants to discuss the plot, what comes next etc.

Yfronts Mon 14-Jan-13 20:49:01

Just write 'my children read everyday this month' - then sign it once a month

pointythings Mon 14-Jan-13 21:49:05

Actually I think I may have 'aversion trained' the DDs' primary with journal comments - I used to write entries about everything they had read - including their library books, the books they had in their bookcase - everything. We'd go through a reading journal in about 6 weeks. Perhaps that is why they aren't nagging me about it?

DD2 also has two very good teachers who know exactly how much she enjoys reading because she constantly wants to talk to them about her current book and is nagging her teacher to get 'Inkspell' for the school because she's nearly finished 'Inkheart'.

SminkoPinko Mon 14-Jan-13 21:54:21

YANBU. Ticks all my boxes for irritation- pointless in the general scheme of things, super easy to forget, unfair on children as they have no control over whether they have parents who read with them, parents who are too disorganised to sign etc. Not looking forward to re-starting them when my youngest goes to primary.

motherinferior Mon 14-Jan-13 21:59:41

I refused to have anything to do with reading journals. I went on and on and on about how reading is a primal pleasure and shouldn't be tied down in this way till eventually they begged me to shut up and go away agreed to waive it for my kids.

Who are quite good readers, dammit.

ipadquietly Mon 14-Jan-13 22:09:21

sminko...'unfair on children as they have no control over whether they have parents who read with them, parents who are too disorganised to sign etc.'

This is exactly why they're useful, as checking on them weekly enables the teacher to focus any available help on children who don't read at home.

TBH I think it's a bit lazy if a parent can't be arsed to sign a book to acknowledge that their child has read at home. Perhaps I say that because I can be arsed to sign and comment in each child's book every week?

I hate them, as dd1 reads to me and then I read to her in her bed at bedtime, I don't have a journal and pen to hand to complete and if I did we'd then forget to put it in bag for morning I just put the bare minimum 'read Huck Finn 10 min', though we do discuss it etc I reckon if the teacher is too worried they can quiz her, otherwise is an admin issue.

Think will have to teach her to forge for secondary, but worried she would abuse the trust (not in a my child isn't trustworthy at the moment way, but a what will happen when she is 15 and wants to skive off to get a tat done and she is used to signing for me).

theredhen Mon 14-Jan-13 22:15:27

Whilst I agree reading records aren't necessary for some children and the teachers should know which ones they are.

However, to all of you suggesting that op should just sign the book to keep school off her back, what is that teaching the children? It's ok to lie to shut people up?

Either do the reading and sign the book or write a reply to the snidey comment. Don't teach your kids to lie.

ImagineJL Mon 14-Jan-13 22:21:11

I suspect it's an Ofsted thing and the teachers don't like it any more than you do OP. But these days their hands are tied by government bureaucracy. They either play the game or they lose funding.

ipadquietly Mon 14-Jan-13 22:25:04

The OP's school is obviously trying to encourage children to read at home. They require a daily signature on a passport to confirm each child has read. Wtf is the problem with that?

The reading journal/diary is a form of communication between school and home. If parents can't be bothered to sign their own child's diary, why should the teachers be expected to bother?

LivingInAPinkBauble Mon 14-Jan-13 22:39:43

I teach primary and have fluent readers. I ask children to fill in their own reading but do ask parents to sign once a week to say they have seen the diary-spellings go into it as does homework details. Older fluent readers still benefit from discussing a book though, looking at things like author's choice of language and inferring from the text. Eg about characters' feelings, what might happen next and why. When we level children evidence of regular reading helps, diary is another way of showing the level of books children are reading.

EarlyInTheMorning Mon 14-Jan-13 22:53:17

LivingInAPinkBauble I'm glad you said that. So how is a parent supposed to have that discussion with a child if they haven't read the book themselves? And what if the parents reads the book and they're still clueless as to what to infer, whatever that means? (what does it mean?) and is there another way of doing this differently say with comprehension texts for example, which come with the questions AND the answers, so parents don't feel like they're winging it?

Viviennemary Mon 14-Jan-13 23:04:11

It's a pain. Just sign it when you remember. If you forget well too bad!

muppet1969 Mon 14-Jan-13 23:07:51

My children forged my signature from year 3 onwards!!!! Just teach them to do it!!

littleducks Mon 14-Jan-13 23:17:53

ipadquietly

"I bet parents would soon get pissed off and start moaning about lack of communication if I didn't sign and comment on all 27 of them each week. You, as a parent, have one or two to sign. What's the big deal?"

I might show a little more enthusiasm then, dd (yr2) has hers looked at by TA who ticks my comments to show she has seen them (I dont think she reads them but tbh its all the same 'read well to page X' so fair dos. Ds is never written in by anyone other than me, as dd's wasnt for the whole reception year. its just homework for me, which I dont need as im having to teach ds to read properly with interesting books as the school are just turing him off reading.

I sign it each night, so DS1 gets a team point- he is yr2 and a free reader. Yet the teacher hasn't even noted that she has heard him read in months.

I get sarky comments when I don't fill in the parental comments section in maths homework, I get tempted to tell them to fuck off. He did the homework, I didn't feel the fucking need to comment to say it when it is in ink on the same page!

fishcalledwonder Mon 14-Jan-13 23:25:58

Ten years of teaching KS2 and I loathe them! Never found them remotely useful. For children who read for pleasure, they serve no purpose. For children who are reluctant to read, they just make reading seem even more of a chore.

BackforGood Mon 14-Jan-13 23:32:10

See ipadquietly this is where you are making a huge leap from reality.

This is exactly why they're useful, as checking on them weekly enables the teacher to focus any available help on children who don't read at home

Assuming that 'not faffing around with the chore of writing in a reading record each night' equals the 'child not reading'.
Couldn't be further from the truth in this house.
See posts above.

Startail Tue 15-Jan-13 00:04:52

Having had the dubious pleasure of being the parent of the worst and best readers in the class I feel free to shout.

I HATE READING RECORDS!!!!

Truthfully there are not enough ways to write "Awful" and "Brilliant" to last one week let alone four or five years.

DD1 eventually taught herself to read aged 11, just in time for her SATs and just ahead of the school finally admitting she was dyslexic. This had been blindingly obvious since she was six.

That is a very long time to try and think of encouraging comments especially when your little sister (3years her junior) had been correcting her for years.

LivingInAPinkBauble Tue 15-Jan-13 06:22:55

EarlyInTheMorning I know it's hard, which is why we do regular reading workshops with children and parents to model inference and possible questions. Happy to send more info if it would help.

sashh Tue 15-Jan-13 06:39:36

Just sign all the pages.

Or get both children to write their own comments

I am reading X, I read page 1-12, Bilbo Baggins is a Hobit. That kind of thing.

AndABigBirdInaPearTree Tue 15-Jan-13 06:39:59

I hate reading logs. Both my kids said reading logs and having to write about what they were reading made it much less fun to read. We don't have ofsted here and the teachers don't have to have signed paperwork but they do it to encourage reading. IMO if a child is reading extremely well then don't mess with it in any way. Luckily some of the teachers understood and didn't bother me, some of the others gave up sending notes home that I hadn't signed it. One or two were persistent and I made something up. DS aged 16 1/2 still has to do them , he says it sucks the fun out of it because he now has to read so many pages.

For one of mine it was particularly bad because he did something like 90% of his reading during weekends and especially school holidays and almost none during the school week.

EarlyInTheMorning Tue 15-Jan-13 06:52:24

LivingInAPinkBauble I really would love some more information please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now