Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Bloody reading journals. AIBU?

(105 Posts)
InNeatCognac Mon 14-Jan-13 11:12:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HellesBelles396 Mon 14-Jan-13 13:39:39

just always write, this book did not stretch my child - make it a commentary on the books being sent home rather than on your dcs's reading.

cumfy Mon 14-Jan-13 14:03:18

Just pre-sign a month's worth.

elliejjtiny Mon 14-Jan-13 14:11:05

HellesBelles My DH wrote that in DS1's reading record. Now DS1 gets extra handwriting practice to do at home as well as the reading

MikeFlowersPops Mon 14-Jan-13 14:13:16

At DDs school they refuse to change the book until you've filled the diary in. I don't mind doing it but it seems a bit pointless.

AgathaTrunchbull Mon 14-Jan-13 14:19:03

For secondary school pupils, signing the diary/planner is more to acknowledge that you've seen any notes (good or bad) that they've had and you're aware of how much homework they're being set (not necessarily that they've done it - it's their responsibility).

I forged my dad's signature all the way through high school too grin

Vagaceratops Mon 14-Jan-13 14:19:09

I write in ours every night and because DS cant read, and will only listen to one of 2 stories my comments get a bit repetitive.

MuddlingMackem Mon 14-Jan-13 14:23:50

YANBU.

At DCs' school the teachers are happy for the kids to fill in their own books once they're no longer reading regularly to a parent. DS is in Y4 and just writes the title and what pages he read. He can always tell a teacher about his book if he's asked, so it's easy for them to check he has been doing what he says. I only write in it on the, now very rare, occasion he reads aloud. There really shouldn't be any need to write in your DCs' books, surely they should be doing that themselves.

DD is only in Y1 and is a long way from being able to do what DS does. I'm going to be listening to her every night for quite some time to come, so I do write in hers and can see the point of parental involvement when the children are still at this stage.

littleducks Mon 14-Jan-13 14:27:32

At least they get checked. My kids are you younger, at the stage when reading out loud is more important.

Dd got told off for filling hers in (I thought it was good handwriting practice).

My passive aggressive comments are ignored in DS's. for some reason reception have the worst selection of books, a mixture of old scheme ones that are too hard for new readers who haven't been taught sight words and are supposed to be using phonics, the crappy wordless or repetitive ones. The books get better as they get older but it is such a bad start.

Catriona100 Mon 14-Jan-13 14:45:22

Me Too! SNAP!

My DC are in years 4 and 6, both are proficient readers, both read texts for fun that are way ahead of what they are given at school, both read aloud as well as any adult and yet they both still have reading diaries which I am supposed to complete daily.

Sometimes, I forget to fill in the books, sometimes I do listen to them read (just in case they have forgotten (how??? hmm) but usually when i remember I fill in a weeks at a time.

I don't know why schools do this. I could see a point KS1 but not now...

CocktailQueen Mon 14-Jan-13 14:47:07

'Wouldn't it be better to target the children who do need help? The teachers all know that my DC are fluent readers, they don't need a signature from me every day of the week to say they've read.'

How else are teachers supposed to target children to do need help? If they single them out, people say it's not fair. They have to treat all parents - and children- equally.

Just squiggle your signature on there - it only takes a few seconds.

BlackBagBorderBinLiner Mon 14-Jan-13 14:52:08

YANBU - Due to the school ticking boxes DD1 can no longer fill in the log, it's my job and 'homework club' for her if I fail to.

She reads too much when supposed to be having breakfast, going out etc we use the threat of book removal as an effective motivation. DD2 still need to be listened to, so fair do on that one.

Different pens and I amuse only myself in the comment section
'Just when you think Jacqueline Wilson could n't get anymore miserable'
'Can't wait to see what evil plan Jack Frost will come up with next week'
'Nikita the Nuclear Fairy- the final Magic Fariy book'

Don't be afraid to make up book titles and obviously fill in all in one go a week ahead but use different coloured pens.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Mon 14-Jan-13 15:18:20

YANBU.

And I say that as a former teacher. It's exactly as you say - the ones who never, ever get read with/to at home are the ones who need this the most, and the ones who love reading and read off their own bat who need it least. A teacher should be with it enough to gauge which children are which.

However, if I were you, I'd just sign the damn thing. Or else put in a really florid and over the top comment a few times.

whois Mon 14-Jan-13 15:30:17

I think you are B U to not read to your kids at all, well not U, it's just a shame they don't enjoy having you read to them any more! I enjoyed snuggling up with Mum to have a chapter read to me, good bonding/relaxation time at the end of the day.

cumfy Mon 14-Jan-13 15:36:56

whois they are year 4 and 5.grin

Andro Mon 14-Jan-13 15:44:05

and 'homework club' for her if I fail to.

What the... They will actually give your DD a punishment for something YOU haven't done? Words fail me!

BackforGood Mon 14-Jan-13 15:45:44

YANBU. My 3rd dc is now in Yr6, and I've never signed these on a regular basis (after each dc got over their initial enthusiam in Yr3). It's never been an issue as their teachers have all been able to tell they are all avid readers - like you, I've had conversations with various teachers over the years about how it was so difficult to get ds's head out of a book at times, and how they can tell by what they contribute in discussions and what they write in their writing tasks how well read they are - it doesn't need a signature from me each day to demonstrate that. My dc all read / have always read for pleasure, and the very act of then coming to find me to get a signature makes it into some kind of a 'homework task' which is not something I've ever wanted to encourage. I've always wanted them to read, because it's a pleasure to read.

Oh, and I speak as a teacher too.

ipadquietly Mon 14-Jan-13 16:58:04

I bet parents would soon get pissed off and start moaning about lack of communication if I didn't sign and comment on all 27 of them each week. You, as a parent, have one or two to sign. What's the big deal?

FWIW it is really important to keep on hearing children read out loud, as it helps them to read accurately, and to think about the expression they use - almost like giving a performance. It is totally different to reading in your head.

DumSpiroSpero Mon 14-Jan-13 17:23:17

YANBU.

My DD is 8yo (yr3) avid reader - Jacqueline Wilson, Roald Dahl and the St Clare's books being her current faves.

We don't have to fill in the books daily, but our school pile on the pressure with certificates, lucky dip 'prizes' and names in the newsletter so I get DD nagging me to death to fill it in, and because she reads bigger books they have to be broken down into what chapters she's read on what date.

I currently have about 6 weeks worth (so about 5 'proper' books worth) to enter. 'Tis a royal pita.

BlackBagBorderBinLiner Mon 14-Jan-13 17:37:37

homework club is tricky, it's supposed to support those that are n't getting input at home but the rule is strict if there is no parent comment on Friday then the child must attend the next week.
Year 3 The top studious girl was caught out, mum had managed to get the twins and dd into school on time, with lunch and PE kit before trying to get across town to her teaching job and failed to sign book, poor kid was in tears when it was 'mum's fault.
Year 1 have to read 5 times a week, date, comment sign.
I do a minimum to pass the books every Friday evening in advance <<polishes good girl badge>>

The TAs juggle amazing amounts of paperwork and are still lovely and never shout at the kids. I am not a TA, I find the shouting helps once in a while.

MikeFlowersPops Mon 14-Jan-13 17:41:19

The teacher has never signed or commented in my DDs book ipadquietly

I don't know if / how often the teacher hears my DD read or whether there are any problems. She has also never been moved up a book band without me requesting it first hmm

Andro Mon 14-Jan-13 17:43:15

BlackBagBorderBinLiner - that is wrong on so many levels!

DizzyHoneyBee Mon 14-Jan-13 18:24:04

I sign them for primary school, once they get to high school they have to remember to ask me to sign it - if they forget they get detention, I think that is reasonable for high school age once they have got the hang of the routine.

EyeoftheStorm Mon 14-Jan-13 18:50:30

This is an interesting thread. DS1 (8) would never pick up a book if he didn't have to sit down with me and read for his reading record book. He's a good reader but he does not do it for pleasure.

I think if he's not going to read for pleasure then he can get a crash course in reading skills from me so I fill his reading record with inferencing, character motivations, predicting story lines, author's language etc. I probably wouldn't do that without the reading record.

In fact, DS1 probably wouldn't read at all without it. And he lives in a house with wall to wall books.

pointythings Mon 14-Jan-13 18:52:03

I sign Dd2's (Yr5) occasionally. I never get nagged about it. I think I must be very fortunate. The log is more for the teacher to record that DD has read out loud to her.

I do sign DD1's planner diligently as she gets in trouble if I don't. Which is fair enough, and it also allows me to check on her homework.

JusticeCrab Mon 14-Jan-13 19:19:31

This sounds like shitty admin, like bloody maths teachers who insist on 'showing working' (piss off - if the kid can do the sum in their head, they can do the sum in their head). I won't do it for our DD unless there's a good reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now