to think Miriam Stoppard isn't a "child psychologist"

(32 Posts)
ICBINEG Mon 14-Jan-13 09:46:02

Does any one have any evidence that she actually is?

Was about to join a toddler music group and there is this quote from "Miriam Stoppard - Child Psychologist" which has actually put me off the whole thing...

Am more than willing to be corrected.

Geranium3 Mon 14-Jan-13 19:26:55

sounds rather a pretentious music group if they need to advertise it with miriam stoppard in order to sing "wheels on the bus"!
Can't stand her books either, prefer sheila kitzinger

3littlefrogs Mon 14-Jan-13 19:49:13

FRCP does not mean you know anything about paediatrics/child psychology/developmental psychology. It just means you did your MRCP enough years ago to become a fellow.

Not that I don't have respect for MRCPs/FRCPs, but I would have been slightly impressed if she had been a Fellow of the Royal college of paediatricians, or even the royal colleges of GPs. (GPs have to do 6 months paediatric training).

I binned one of her books when she said that a bottlefed baby wouldn't bond as well to its mum as a breast fed one or words to that effect. I couldn't breast feed dd2 as I was so poorly after her birth and it was just what I needed to read

She talks some bollocks I believe

CashmereHoodlum Mon 14-Jan-13 19:59:40

She is apparently close buddies with Matthew Wright as well, which is never a good sign, imo.

CashmereHoodlum Mon 14-Jan-13 20:01:30

"Not that Miriam Stoppard is anything like either of the Wests"

I love the fact that you had to clarify that grin

concessionsavailable Mon 14-Jan-13 20:20:25

Anyone remember this thread a while back about gems from parenting books? The Miriam Stoppard recommendation that we all put a sink in the corner of our nurseries never fails to raise a smile. Cork tiles are practical too apparently.
Thank God we have these unqualified experts to tell us what to do and think, we'd be lost otherwise. I bet the music group is essential to your child's development.

MrsRandom78 Mon 14-Jan-13 20:24:18

Icbineg - yup, it makes the protected titles a bit of a waste of time imo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now