Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask what you'd do? Warning - PARKING thread!!

(149 Posts)
spg1983 Mon 14-Jan-13 07:40:47

Some new neighbours moved in next door about 2 months ago. We both share a carport and have two parking spaces each which are one in front of the other, i.e. for both of us to get 2 cars in we have to drive through the carport and the 2nd one parks behind it. Both houses have 2 cars. So far so good.

We live on a new estate and apart from our drive, there is literally NOwhere else to park apart from doing something silly like parking on a roundabout!

The problem is that when the neighbours moved in they had some stuff which they put under the carport, leaning against their house, which severely reduced the space available for both cars. They started off by parking their car somewhere else and walking a few streets (i guess?) to get back home but recently they've started parking under the carport and not leaving us enough room to get through. DH and I both work full-time and our hours mean we always arrive home after the neighbours. I'm also 33w pregnant so there's no way I can squeeze in/out of a tight space at the moment - literally the only way to get out of our car if we can get it onto the drive is to jump in/out of the boot.

We asked the neighbour if they could try and stay on their side and explained why, they apologised and they said that they were just waiting to sell the furniture and then it'd get moved and in the meantime they'd try and park more fully under their "half" of the carport. However this was a month ago and nothing has changed. I'm having to leave my car at a friend's house and walk 3 streets back home each day and DH can park there but is having to get in/out via the boot of his car as both their cars go over our driveway. We've told them this but this time they got grumpy with us and asked us what to do with the furniture - we said store it somewhere else/get a shed but they didn't like those ideas...

WWYD? There's no way of us getting home first to "claim" the space as our work hours are totally inflexible. Are they even legally doing anything wrong?! Help! I want to be able to park on my driveway and if this carries on when baby's here I think I'll go mad sad

CaptainVonTrapp Wed 16-Jan-13 19:44:47

ha ha taste of their own medicine... wonder how that will go.

Arithmeticulous Wed 16-Jan-13 19:45:52

Sounds like a plan wink

Could you not contact council if there is wood outside house (table) I know here you would be told to move it because its a fire risk even if it is outside your property but within your boundary that may get rid of issue as opposed to battle over parking which always causes issues

WhateverTrevor Wed 16-Jan-13 20:11:11

Well done so far. And thanks for updating.
Keep up the good work grin

sudaname Wed 16-Jan-13 20:12:39

LMAO at 'put it on Freecycle' grin

But you must install a secret camera first so we can have a laugh aswell.

hippoCritt Wed 16-Jan-13 20:19:29

Are you ok? I'd find it stressful waiting to see what happens

Kiriwawa Wed 16-Jan-13 20:24:03

Slight side issue but I would put the child lock on the back door to stop your DSS swinging the door wide open. If he can't be trusted to open his door considerately, he can't be allowed to open it himself. That'll learn him wink

spg1983 Wed 16-Jan-13 22:20:32

Yup, all still good here. Second car still not back so not sure if one of them is away for the night. In the meantime, I've gone to bed so our cars are not getting moved tonight... smile

trixymalixy Wed 16-Jan-13 22:24:42

Why are people so selfish? Good luck with this?

thenightsky Wed 16-Jan-13 22:31:50

Definitely agree with the posters who say 'put the furniture on Freecycle'. Neighbours would just assume it had been nicked.

Pendipidy Wed 16-Jan-13 22:34:49

Love a good parking Fred ! Update us when you can!

sudaname Wed 16-Jan-13 22:38:29

Ooh and put their cars on Auto Trader for good measure and order a huge pile of manure to go on their side where their car was grin grin

QOD Wed 16-Jan-13 22:51:03

Crickey, how incredibly annoying!!!!!

sashh Thu 17-Jan-13 03:39:18

Really don't want him to do this and damage the neighbour's car instead

Are you sure?

The deeds will tell you what your rights are.

Do you think you could have few braxton hicks that you don't recognise and think are contractions in the next week or so.

Maybe at 3 Am on a work day?

6am on a weekend.

You dh would have to wake them to move their car to get you in.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Thu 17-Jan-13 04:40:50

I cannot believe that you had to knock and ask them to move their car because your husband was stuck in his, and they've still not fixed this.

ben5 Thu 17-Jan-13 05:32:52

sounds like a good drama. hope they move there stuff soon and good luck with the major event happening in about 7 weekssmile

lljkk Netherlands Thu 17-Jan-13 07:40:06

OwlCatMouse Thu 17-Jan-13 08:02:15

"Do you think you could have few braxton hicks that you don't recognise and think are contractions in the next week or so.

Maybe at 3 Am on a work day?

6am on a weekend.

You dh would have to wake them to move their car to get you in."

^ this - ahhaha.

I do like the freecycle suggestion though!

No advice, just linking arms ;)

IceNoSlice Thu 17-Jan-13 11:09:12

Any updates today OP?

KatoPotato Mon 21-Jan-13 16:43:23

Nothing?

Hmm. Haven't read whole thread so apologies if this has been said but couldn't you reverse in, also right up to the boundary, so they can't get in on their drivers side?

spg1983 Mon 21-Jan-13 17:42:02

Hi all.

Bit of an update. The car did come back the next morning and by coincidence, we also had 2 more snow days where our work was closed and our estate was blocked in and out by snow so we left our car where it was (right up to the centre point of the carport).

Neighbours got home and didn't knock on door or anything but parked their car in the carport. However in order to do so, they had to move the furniture so the dining table is now in 4 bits, 2x table top pieces and 2 support-type things. It's now more spread out so that rather than moving out towards the centre of the shared carport, it goes more along the length of their house (taking up less width). It has snowed quite a bit here so 2 out of the 4 bits of table are covered in snow.

All good so far, you'd think this'd be an incentive to move the stuff permanently. But no, last night they parked in exactly the same place, but this time there wasn't a lot of furniture in the way, it was just bad parking. They do have quite a difficult "swing" into their part of the carport due to the angle of the entrance and the nearby houses so they'd need to maybe do a couple of manoeuvres in and out which were maybe difficult with the snow/ice around our houses so I gave them the benefit of the doubt yesterday...and then got DH to park in the centre today!!

Was such a good feeling being able to get out of the car IN MY OWN CARPORT rather than having to get out of the car before the end of the road and walking the rest!

spg1983 Mon 21-Jan-13 17:43:12

balloon whether we go in forwards or backwards, we can't get out of the car when they are packed so close!

KatoPotato Mon 21-Jan-13 17:43:23

Hurrah for a small victory... keep us posted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now