To ask what you'd do? Warning - PARKING thread!!

(149 Posts)
spg1983 Mon 14-Jan-13 07:40:47

Some new neighbours moved in next door about 2 months ago. We both share a carport and have two parking spaces each which are one in front of the other, i.e. for both of us to get 2 cars in we have to drive through the carport and the 2nd one parks behind it. Both houses have 2 cars. So far so good.

We live on a new estate and apart from our drive, there is literally NOwhere else to park apart from doing something silly like parking on a roundabout!

The problem is that when the neighbours moved in they had some stuff which they put under the carport, leaning against their house, which severely reduced the space available for both cars. They started off by parking their car somewhere else and walking a few streets (i guess?) to get back home but recently they've started parking under the carport and not leaving us enough room to get through. DH and I both work full-time and our hours mean we always arrive home after the neighbours. I'm also 33w pregnant so there's no way I can squeeze in/out of a tight space at the moment - literally the only way to get out of our car if we can get it onto the drive is to jump in/out of the boot.

We asked the neighbour if they could try and stay on their side and explained why, they apologised and they said that they were just waiting to sell the furniture and then it'd get moved and in the meantime they'd try and park more fully under their "half" of the carport. However this was a month ago and nothing has changed. I'm having to leave my car at a friend's house and walk 3 streets back home each day and DH can park there but is having to get in/out via the boot of his car as both their cars go over our driveway. We've told them this but this time they got grumpy with us and asked us what to do with the furniture - we said store it somewhere else/get a shed but they didn't like those ideas...

WWYD? There's no way of us getting home first to "claim" the space as our work hours are totally inflexible. Are they even legally doing anything wrong?! Help! I want to be able to park on my driveway and if this carries on when baby's here I think I'll go mad sad

VivaLeBeaver Mon 14-Jan-13 08:44:29

Paint a line down the middle of the drive and see if that helps.

If they park in considerately can you park so you're behind them and block them in? When they moan just sweetly point out its their own bloody fault.

SantasENormaSnob Mon 14-Jan-13 08:45:07

I would encourage dss to swing the door into their car.

Or set the furniture on fire.

comingintomyown Mon 14-Jan-13 08:45:46

I would cheerfully , engine running, knock on their door every single time and tell them to move their car

They should be parking down the road

CwtchesAndCuddles Mon 14-Jan-13 08:46:48

Knock every time and be polite - they will soon get fed up and realise they have to sort it out!

Lollybrolly Mon 14-Jan-13 08:59:31

I would draw or paint a line so there is a visable boundary.

Knock every time with the engine running.

Their crap needs to go really - what is it exactly?? Does it look saleable still after 2 winter and wet months in a car port???

BigBadBob Mon 14-Jan-13 10:44:49

If they are parking on/over the boundary then they are most likely trepassing on your property to exit their car. Which they have the space to do as your cars are not present when they arrive home.

I would take advice from above and knock on their door every single time....and also draw a line down the middle.

melika Mon 14-Jan-13 10:55:19

They are being selfish, surely they can see you are pregnant. I would very politely put it that it is causing anxiety and you never had the problem before. Suggest ways of selling the furniture, eg. gumtree, bargain pages, ebay and hopefully they will see the light.Good Luck.

HecatePropolos Mon 14-Jan-13 10:59:22

Why are they trying to make it your problem what they do with the furniture?

that would be my question to them. The fact that you have chosen to put furniture there is not my problem to solve. I want the use of my spaces. How you ensure that is down to you to solve, not me.

And yes. A line down the middle. And knocking every time.

fuckadoodlepoopoo Mon 14-Jan-13 11:00:26

What about a like of spikey stones that will pop their tires if they drive over it?

threesocksmorgan Mon 14-Jan-13 11:02:02

knock and tell them that you are having trouble parking, tell them that you are not very good at parking and might hit their car due to them parking a bit in your spot.
this worked for me, I had a neighbour who kept boxing me in, I told him during a conversation that I was for ever going into reverse by mistake.....
he never boxed me in again lol

JuliaSqueezer Mon 14-Jan-13 11:03:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

mollymole Mon 14-Jan-13 11:05:07

Keep knocking - they will soon get fed up

MrsBucketxx Mon 14-Jan-13 11:09:44

I like the knocking idea, if not park at right angles blocking their cars in.

They are totally selfish.

Tabliope Mon 14-Jan-13 11:10:48

What about one of these solutions?

I like the yellow barrier. A bit of a pain but it will make your point and should solve the problem long term.

Tabliope Mon 14-Jan-13 11:12:15

Sorry the pictures on the page have changed in that link - you might have to have a search but there seems to be quite a few possible solutions.

lljkk Mon 14-Jan-13 11:18:20

Are they merely blocking access (only because of your big bump problem) or are they actually parking their car on your side? Where is the dividing line on ground for the car spaces?

Tabliope Mon 14-Jan-13 11:18:36
lljkk Mon 14-Jan-13 11:21:04

oops, thread moved on since I posted!
Agree I would try very hard not to fall out with them over this. Good luck.

spg1983 Mon 14-Jan-13 12:11:25

lljkk they are often parking their car on our side - the best case scenario we come home to is that their tyres are literally exactly on where the boundary between the two sides is, but most of the time they have actually parked on our side. I think if it were just parking right on the boundary I'd just have a grumble to myself and get on with it but more often than not they are so far over that we can only just get the car in and cannot open our doors. I think it's bugging me more because it'd be useful to have more space than normal but not even getting what we own is really annoying...

spg1983 Mon 14-Jan-13 12:12:47

And the furniture is a dining table and chairs - somehow their side of the carport is really cleverly positioned so that rain never gets under there and it is pretty much totally protected from the weather. Which is probably why it's stored there and they've not got an incentive to move it sad

spg1983 Mon 14-Jan-13 12:15:17

Thinking about it, I'm also worried that when DH does manage to get his car in there (and then climbs out of the boot) that our neighbours' passengers are put into the same position and I'm pretty sure that they are not resorting to getting in/out of the boot - hope they are not hitting DH's car to get in/out, will ask him to check.

lljkk Mon 14-Jan-13 12:16:57

what a pain. I hope you find a friendly way to sort it soon.

PurplePidjin Mon 14-Jan-13 12:44:38

Could you store some tins of paint in there and accidentally drop one, spilling gloss all over the furniture place?

MissPants Mon 14-Jan-13 12:57:16

Get your DH to pop a few holes in their side of the car port roof, once rain starts soaking their furniture they might decide to shift it.

Just make them look like wear and tear though, no perfectly round holes or anything grin

sudaname Mon 14-Jan-13 13:06:18

Can you not wash your car in the drive - these hosepipes have a habit of accidentally soaking everything in sight in the wrong hands wink - like random table and chairs etc.

Actually made my blood boil when they asked 'what are we to do with the furniture then ?' As Hecate said that is so not your problem and l hate it when people do that.

It's like when people park on our white 'H' line across our drive. The number of times when challenged they will come out with the line 'Well where should l park then?' or 'There was nowhere else to park'. angry I always answer 'I dont know or care if am in a particular piss but what l do know is you cant park there'.

You need to get tough they are taking the piss - anyone seeing your DH climbing out of the boot would think that ! Sit in the drive and sound the horn loudly till they come out or if you dont want to upset rest of neighbours maybe get their phone number and call them - every single time - to shift.
Or knock on door with your DH still sat in car as others have said - every time.
All else fails contact local authorities see if they can help - l think they have depts these days for these type of neighbour disputes and they will advise you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now