to find books and magazines by the toilet unnecessary and unhygienic

(176 Posts)
SunsetMojito Sun 13-Jan-13 21:50:21

I have even seen a magazine rack placed helpfully beside one!
Boak!
and how long to you actually need to spend in there that you cannot manage without reading?

Brodicea Tue 15-Jan-13 15:43:35

I get constipated so I have to read or play solitaire on my phone while I'm on the loo.

The only problem is now I always need a poo if I play solitaire on a journey or at home - a pavlovian response!

wink

<sticks tongue out>

MrsBeep Tue 15-Jan-13 15:39:00

MurderOfGoths you have fish magazines alongside 'knitting today'. It's a bit comical you must admit? Anyone who saw your 'loo library' before meeting you would think you were about 50 years old! wink

We currently have F1 magazine, a book on weather, a book on drawing and a new Mark Thomas book. Oh...and Where's Wally? grin

McNewPants2013 Tue 15-Jan-13 15:28:12
McNewPants2013 Tue 15-Jan-13 15:25:08

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2259969/iPotty-gadget-lets-toddlers-watch-videos-iPad-toilet-training.html

Now that is cool smile

IfNotNowThenWhen Tue 15-Jan-13 15:23:32

Sorry that should have said FIL !

IfNotNowThenWhen Tue 15-Jan-13 15:22:33

I'm still laughing about flyingfig's DIL having the special telly on a trolley wheeled in for his Sunday Poo.
I am actually shaking with laughter picturing this. Who had the honour of "wheeling it in?"
Was it his lucky wife?
grin

Pandemoniaa Tue 15-Jan-13 15:16:25

As he chose the book from my "to read" shelf, I believe that I shall never now read that book, because I couldn't bring myself to touch it, after where it's been.

I'd like to think this was tongue in cheek.

But if not, I'd merely ask, how you deal with anyone who has, er, exposed themselves to the Place of Poo Peril that is your lavatory? When they emerge are you wearing a full chemical protection suit yourself? Do you cover the furniture lest there is still a lingering miasma of toxicity about them? Or do you invite them to leave, immediately, via some sort of back passage used only for the hasty exit of anyone who may have had a poo in your lavatory?

MrsBeep And you have such an impressive loo library too (though you laughed at my loo library! wink)

MrsBeep Tue 15-Jan-13 12:42:15

Well this thread has been great entertainment to me on the loo this morning. Didn't have to touch any of my 'loo library'. smile

Polyethyl Tue 15-Jan-13 11:09:19

I don't find it necessary to read on the loo, so there were no books in there. Until an old friend visited. On seeing that I had no loo books, he quietly went to my bookshelf, selected a book, and retired to the loo for half an hour.
The book has stayed in there ever since.
As he chose the book from my "to read" shelf, I believe that I shall never now read that book, because I couldn't bring myself to touch it, after where it's been. But my father and husband enjoy reading it in there - so perhaps my chum did the men in my family a favour.

Flobbadobs Tue 15-Jan-13 11:01:25

Oh yes the Giles books! And the Gambols grin
My uncle used to have a large bathroom with a full bookcase in it. When we visited them people would disappear for ages to the bathroom!
DH takes his laptop. I think I have mentioned buying our tent while he was on the loo before...

Thumbwitch Tue 15-Jan-13 10:59:49

hahaha, bogeyface! Very clever smile

I was going to say about the gastro-colic reflex but see that DPotter got there first.

SunRays - I used to have Giles annuals in the loo as well, excellent reading matter!

OP - YABU. I would never have finished Sophie's World, Catch 22, and a few other books if it weren't for having them by the loo. Stephen Fry's Paperweight was also useful, as was Hector Hugh Monroe's Saki. I love looking at other people's loo books as well - one friend has lots of Peanuts books, another used to have humorous animal cartoons, another had the little book of etiquette or somesuch - great fun!

As for the unhygienic aspect - bah. People are so over-excited about hygiene these days, we're not meant to be bacterially sterile!

SunRaysthruClouds Tue 15-Jan-13 10:43:41

My parents still have the same books - mainly Giles annuals - in their loo that I used to read when I lived with them. I left 30 years ago and still read them when I visit.

Mind you it might be a bit risky to put them anywhere else in the house now.

EuroShagmore Tue 15-Jan-13 10:40:49

I quite agree BuggerLumps. Left hand holds the book, right hand does the wiping. There's nothing unhygienic about it.

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Tue 15-Jan-13 10:22:20

but I don't get why its dirty. isn't it the act of wiping that makes one dirty? Therefore as long as you're not handling the book after wiping then you're fine

Bogeyface Tue 15-Jan-13 10:21:22

Ironic really Gasman because that letter must have shown without shadow of a doubt that anal retentiveness is hereditary, and therefore why the child was so constipated!

gasman Tue 15-Jan-13 10:10:38

I'm a doctor (in case the name isn't a clue in this context).

Someone once went to all the trouble of writing a formal written complaint about me because I'd suggested that their constipated 7 year old might like to try reading on the loo to see if it helped (toilet time concept).

They were firmly in the OPs camp. I have to confess until that moment I hadn't realised that some people didn't read in the loo. Virtually every private bathroom I used then and now is full of reading material - medical journals, comic books, private eye, land rover owner, you name it I've read it in the loo and so have most of my friends/ family.

I'm not a great subscriber to poo particle theories. They seem to get everywhere but genarlly most people seem to remain healthy - so what is the problem. Bugs are part of life. No?

Eliza22 Tue 15-Jan-13 09:22:05

A magazine rack in the toilet? Ahhh ! Revolting. Someone ought to take a sample from the rack and see what "grows" in the Petrie dish confused

diddl Tue 15-Jan-13 07:45:04

Now I have to say that most things don´t bother me at all.

But actually eating whilst on the loo-even I find that bleurgh!

<Although will make a note for future bouts of constipation>

DPotter Tue 15-Jan-13 01:59:47

re- eating apples on the loo - it's not the high fibre content that does the trick but something called the gastro-colic reflex which follows eating anything. it increases gut movement - squeezing the contents along. so whose ever MIL it was had the right idea !

we have books / mags / newspapers and dare I say it toilet brushes in our bathroom & loo. My DP reckons we should wash our hands before weeing as pee is sterile (normally) and we shouldn't be using dirty hands to wipe !

MrsKeithRichards Mon 14-Jan-13 19:11:42

Ds had issues with poo for a while, he wouldn't give himself a chance to actually go so we took to sitting him down with a book.

MrTumblesSpottyBum Mon 14-Jan-13 18:53:47

We've got a book called Passing Time in the Loo, which is quite handy. I'm always a bit disconcerted the pages fall open out at the Gandhi biography bit.

MrsWembley Mon 14-Jan-13 17:55:49

My DD's actually taken to picking up one of her daddy's magazines when she's in there... Usually Sports Boat & Rib or the RNLI mag, before anyone gets worriedwink

stephrick Mon 14-Jan-13 17:44:31

I keep Ripleys believe it or not in the loo for the kids to read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now