to ask you to check your smoke detectors tonight?

(25 Posts)
MadCap Mon 14-Jan-13 11:36:17

She posted some pictures last night. I just feel so awful for her. I couldn't sleep last night thinking about what ifs.

Dinglebert Mon 14-Jan-13 11:13:02

Monday is my testing day. Thanks for reminding us all - your poor friend, but thank God they are all OK.

ResolutelyCheeky Mon 14-Jan-13 10:20:42

Also if you suspect you have a fire behind a closed door do not touch the handle. Place your hand on the door, if it is warm do not open it. Get out. Make sure window lock keys are in locks.

MammaTJ Mon 14-Jan-13 06:54:32

Yes, doors are very important. My neighbour had a fire in her kitchen, tumble dryer just burst in to flames. She ran through the door and shut it behind her. Got the DC out, called the fire brigade, brought DC in to my house. Our FB are part time, so took a little while. I saw her house afterwards and although the whole house was smoke damaged, not one lick of a flame got past that door.

Chopstheduck Mon 14-Jan-13 06:49:29

Mine gets tested every morning, the bloody shower sets it off. I hate it, cos it is mains wired and I can't move it when it starts going berserk. Even boiling food is sometimes enough to set it off. Burnt toast and zilch though. This was our LL's bright idea, I really wish she had left the old ones in.

Sorry to hear about your best friend, MadCap.

Bunbaker Mon 14-Jan-13 06:46:13

My elderly auntie won't entertain the idea of a smoke detector. I wish I could persuade her to change her mind.

SavoyCabbage Mon 14-Jan-13 06:43:41

Thanks, will give them a press.

MadCap Mon 14-Jan-13 06:43:36

I'm glad I started this thread. I didn't know about the doors thing.

MammaTJ Mon 14-Jan-13 06:06:38

Mine are linked to the mains and have battery back up. One one ground and one on first floor. Stoopid HA put one in the kitchen too but they disconnected that one when I rang them when I was trying to cook tea. They still get tested every night and I can assure you, they work very well. I am also obsessed with doors being shut and an escape plan.

ResolutelyCheeky Mon 14-Jan-13 05:35:25

Also make sure you have one on every floor of your house as closed doors do a lot to retain a fire but might also stop smoke reaching the alarm (fireman's daughter)

ResolutelyCheeky Mon 14-Jan-13 05:33:23

There is a red button in the middle of them to press to check it goes off. If it doesn't, change your battery and re-try.

We have ours checked by our local fire safety team which is attached to the fire service once every 3 months plus we check them ourselves too every week. Savoy there should be a button on it that you press. The fire safety team near you can do a safety check on your house. Google it.

SavoyCabbage Mon 14-Jan-13 05:09:21

How do you check them?

sashh Mon 14-Jan-13 05:03:29

My dinner tests the alarms nightly.

My goes if I ever have a cooked breakfast.

OP glad your friend and her family are OK.

HollyTheHedgehog Sun 13-Jan-13 20:02:15

My dinner tests the alarms nightly.

My Dad is a fireman so its something that crosses my mind regularly. I habe smoke alarms, escape routes 'planned'. Doors shut when I go to bed, lights off, extinguisher in my room. Phone by my bed.

Its about planning.

Its not just about smoke alarms but that IS The main thing.

MadCap Sun 13-Jan-13 19:57:48

Euphemia It was an electrical fault. They live in Miami and I live in the UK. Just wish I could be there to help out.

magimedi88 Sun 13-Jan-13 19:53:21

Didn't log off but went & tested.

My ears hurt!

But a great piece of advice that should be given weekly.

MumVsKids Sun 13-Jan-13 19:53:13

Just going to check now, glad your friends escaped unhurt.

McNewPants2013 Sun 13-Jan-13 19:52:58

Glad they are all safe

McNewPants2013 Sun 13-Jan-13 19:52:21

I have main powered smoke alarms which ate check every Monday.

I was trapped in a house fire when I was 7 where my dozy mother took the battery's out because they went off when cooking.

magimedi88 Sun 13-Jan-13 19:51:24

I will log off & check mine now.

YANBU.

So glad that your friend & family are OK.

Punkatheart Sun 13-Jan-13 19:50:44

Thank God she and her family are OK, Madcap.

I promise I will. One is just beeping but I have another carbon monoxide and smoke alarm.

Anyone else?

Everyone should also have a fire escape plan.

Euphemia Sun 13-Jan-13 19:50:22

Glad they're okay. What caused the fire?

AngryBeaver Sun 13-Jan-13 19:49:03

Thank you, I will. Your poor friend, but thank god they are alright x

MadCap Sun 13-Jan-13 19:46:45

My best friend lost her home to a house fire last night. Their smoke detector woke them at 4 am. Luckily, my df, her dh and her 2 very young dcs escaped unhurt. Their alarm saved their lives. I was nearly sick when we got her message. The first thing we did was check ours.

WIBU to ask you all to check yours?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now