to ask you to settle this argument?

(55 Posts)
MeganScarlett Sun 13-Jan-13 12:59:35

Me and a friend agreed to go out for coffee this morning. Texting each other last night to confirm.

Friend - what time do you want to meet?
Me - Lets say 10?
Friend - Lets make it half past instead.
Me - Great. See you tomorrow.

I get a call at 10 asking where I was. When she said lets make it half past I assumed she meant 10:30, whereas she actually meant 9:30.

Am I the only one who would assume that she meant 10:30?

(this is light-hearted by the way and no one has fallen out or got upset etc)

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sun 13-Jan-13 17:25:21

<gavel>

This summer - surely it just depends on the tense? "this summer I went to Spain" - summer 2012 - "This summer I'm going to Spain" Summer 2013. Can't think of any examples where the tense wouldn't give it away?

Anniegetyourgun Sun 13-Jan-13 18:26:38

Wellllll... "this summer" would probably mean for me the summer of the year we were currently in, if it wasn't otherwise obvious from the context. Thus if someone had talked about "this summer" last month they would mean summer 2012, whereas if they said it this month it would refer to 2013. Probably. If they said "this summer we went to Lanzarote" in April I would be thoroughly confused.

Language is such a minefield.

Iteotwawki Sun 13-Jan-13 18:34:08

10:30.

Next Thursday - means Thursday of next week, this Thursday is Thursday of this week.

This summer - we're in it now smile so both 2012 & 2013. Got to love living in the Southern Hemisphere smile however this winter is June-August 2013 and last winter was 2012.

10:30. Utter lunacy. Tell her to come on here ad explain herself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now