to not do dd's project for her

(22 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chocoluvva Sun 13-Jan-13 11:46:22

There was a thread recently about schools setting time-taking homework of doubtful value to the child. Most of the posters didn't like their schools setting large homework tasks.

Is she not enjoying the project or does she just want to do something else?

CecilyP Sun 13-Jan-13 11:54:23

You will have to say more about the project for us to tell you if YABU or not.

RedHelenB Sun 13-Jan-13 12:17:27

I think at age 6 you need to do it together

Sirzy Sun 13-Jan-13 12:18:49

I agree you shouldn't just do it. She should sit with you and do it together like you want.

CecilyP Sun 13-Jan-13 12:21:03

Seems a bit inefficient for 2 people to be doing it when one, eg OP, could do it perfectly well on her own.

PurplePidjin Sun 13-Jan-13 12:24:47

Let her learn that her decisions have consequences. This seems like a nice gentle way, primary school are hardly going to slam a 6yo in detention like they would if she were a teen.

Projects sad It never ends though. Ds1 is 13 and we are still at it with the trips to Hobbycraft, for strange homework projects.

YY to telling us what you have been asked to produce.

What's the subject matter? Once DS2 then year 3 got 'Madrid' as the brief and was told to do a 5 minute presentation about it. hmm

Startail Sun 13-Jan-13 12:37:07

6 is too young for all, but the simplest projects. They in veritably become HW for mum.

Y5 and Y6's can and should be able to do them with a bit of guidance and y4's with a lot of help.

But it's very DC dependent. DD1 is dyslexic and needed help. She learnt a huge amount from research and structuring things, but it would have taken her way too long to write or type stuff so I'd scribe.

DD2 is top of the class for literacy and is a total wizz with google.

So, I let DD2 get a bad mark in Y5, because she was being down right lazy and refusing help.
I was very pleased the teacher agreed and didn't let her get away with it.

I type the very last little bit of her Y6 one because she really put her back into it and thought about it.

I confess to still helping DD1 in Y8 because history feel it is their duty to set projects that take longer than all other subjects HW put together.angry

StraightTalkinSheila Sun 13-Jan-13 13:15:12

YANBU. Kids have got to learn not to be lazy.

StraightTalkinSheila Sun 13-Jan-13 14:00:46

Good on her. Best way.

lljkk Sun 13-Jan-13 14:22:39

Good for you. Must admit we just didn't do HW for ages because DS was so resistant.

"Seems a bit inefficient for 2 people to be doing it when one, eg OP, could do it perfectly well on her own."
Seriously, CecilyP confused?

chocoluvva Sun 13-Jan-13 15:44:06

WhereYou, that comment by CecilyP has a strong whiff of sarcasm.

I did hope so chocoluvva, but MN has introduced me to the concept of helicopter parents who would do their precious children's homework, so I couldn't be sure grin.

5madthings Sun 13-Jan-13 16:13:18

Yanbu op. As you say doing it together is fine but i wouldnt do it for them.

Glad she has come round and is getting on with it smile

Viviennemary Sun 13-Jan-13 16:18:25

It is a bit mean for a six year old's weekend to be spoilt by these so called projects. I think at the age of six you should be allowed to forget about homework except reading or maybe finish off a few sums. There was another thread about this. It's not on.

5madthings Sun 13-Jan-13 16:21:59

I think homework for primary school age is pointless tbh and i dont force mine to do.it. I will.offer to help but not do.it for them. Thankfully if they dont do it its not an issue as the school are fairly laid back with the younger children.

Once in yr 5/6 they are expected to do it, and will have to do it quiet time or break time if theu dont do it at home but they dont get very much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now