AIBU to think that people should only be allowed a 4x4 if they actually need one?

(288 Posts)
boomting Sat 12-Jan-13 21:08:02

They are ridiculously fuel inefficient, and given the finite supplies of oil and the effects on climate change (and no this isn't a climate change thread!), I think that the government should only allow you to own a 4x4 if you have a demonstrable reason for needing one. You would have to submit a form and be issued with a special licence to own one. Reasons could include being a farmer, or having to tow heavy trailers that cannot legally be towed with a smaller vehicle. This isn't an exhaustive list of acceptable reasons, but people who only use them for the school run and going to the supermarket shop should not be allowed to use them.

AIBU?

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 12-Jan-13 21:39:56

so you would like to ban cars like this but these are OK?

littlewhitebag Sat 12-Jan-13 21:41:16

I luffs my 4x4. That it is an ancient Volvo used for hauling my stinky Lab around the country roads of rural Scotland has nothing to do with it! It is like driving a big old sofa. I don't care about anything else. It is the car i choose to drive and it is no business of anyone else- certainly not the government.

Plomino Sat 12-Jan-13 21:41:19

Personally I think if we're talking about fuel efficiency , then maybe only cars that do at least 35 mpg should be allowed . Should get rid of all the fancy schmancy ostentatious sports cars driven by wankers but not my Discovery . I can justify having one perfectly well for all the right reasons , but you know what ? I'm not going to .

All kinds of cars are driven by wankers . Big ones , 4 x4s , little ones , Eco friendly ones . They're driven by smug wankers .

mrsjay Sat 12-Jan-13 21:41:50

butfive these are an essential for scooting about town or going to ones lunch <rolls eyes> t

discorabbit Sat 12-Jan-13 21:41:59

people are being vile on this thread

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 12-Jan-13 21:42:26

A 4x4 is just a vehicle that has power directed to all wheels. Size doesn't matter a jot. my first 4x4 was a Subaru Justy which was 1.1 and smaller than most small cars now. Do a bit of research before you make a statement like that.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 12-Jan-13 21:43:04

Of course they are mrsjay couldn't possibly ban them.

YABVU.

I would be livid if the government started dictating which car I should be driving. You have chosen 4x4s for this thread but you could say the same about anybody driving a car that has more seats than their family needs.

What about couples who have a car each? What about families who need a different number of seats at different times through the year for example access visits, etc?

If I want a 4x4 I will drive a 4x4 and no government should be allowed to tell me otherwise. (I don't have a 4x4 by the way.)

crashdoll Sat 12-Jan-13 21:44:53

I don't really mind 4x4 but overall, I find the women who own them in my area do not know how to park them and yes, it's always women!

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sat 12-Jan-13 21:45:49

And it's an estate car and a big one at that. Easily as big as your average 4x4, unless you count those daft little Suzuki jeeps or little SUV things which it's about twice as long as.

And I can park it in one space perfectly fine, thank you.

In fact the 4wd car I'd love to replace it with is only about 2" longer and wider. It just comes with two extra seats inside.

LiveItUp Sat 12-Jan-13 21:46:23

YABU. I have one, and I also have my central heating set for only 16 degrees in the house. Oh, and I haven't been in a plane for over 10 years.

The nice thing about a democracy is that we have choices. Mine, not yours.

BarredfromhavingStella Sat 12-Jan-13 21:48:19

So like I said you don't actually mean understand 4x4's, DH has a 4x4-it's an estate (but it is a gas guzzler as it's a performance car grin )

HecatePropolos Sat 12-Jan-13 21:48:36

Actually, they don't invariably look like that.
There are many 4 wheel drive cars that are the same sive as 2 wheel drive cars. A new 4wheel drive is better for the environment than a two wheel drive old banger, etc etc.
Yeah, I admit it. I've got a 4 wheel drive. Its a hyundai santa fe. grin
And it's about the same length as my neighbours old green volvo estate!
And a lot less damaging to the environment AND uses less fuel than their old girl!

chocoluvva Sat 12-Jan-13 21:49:35

I curse for them taking up too much space in car parks.
They're not USUALLY justifiable IMO, but I suppose you could say the same about all sorts of things.

However, when I'm in charge I'm going to ban people from owning more than one car if it won't fit onto their own property.

Narrows eyes at neighbours who make getting out of my drive awkward.

Stinkyminkymoo Sat 12-Jan-13 21:49:58

Ha ha ha ha!! OP, you are hilarious! Seriously, in the whole wide world that's the most important thing to you?!

I would be exempt as have horses and pull them in a trailer so ya boo sucks to you anyway!

littlewhitebag Sat 12-Jan-13 21:51:42

For god sakes - the government should only give you - say - a gun -if you really, really need one. But a car - it's a car. Who gives shit.

LiveItUp Sat 12-Jan-13 21:52:13

Oh, and I also have an aga. You'd probably like a law against them too. But it came with the house. We don't have mains gas, so I burn even more oil keeping the aga on. Not much choice out here in the sticks.

But it is my choice to live out here in the sticks, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 12-Jan-13 21:52:15

Come back OP

OwlCatMouse Sat 12-Jan-13 21:52:23

If your argument is that they are inefficient, what about all the V6 engines out there that aren't inside a 4x4? Ban all powerful cars?

PatriciaHolm Sat 12-Jan-13 21:52:42

My 4x4 looks like www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/61254/subaru_impreza.html

Is that OK, OP?

Maybe you should rethink and rephrase?

cinnamonnut Sat 12-Jan-13 21:52:46

I think people who have them are causing damage but at the same time it would be extremely damaging to limit freedom for that much

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 12-Jan-13 21:53:18

Oh and the lack of mud means it has been washed, believe it or not we wash our Disco when it is covered in shite.

BlueberryHill Sat 12-Jan-13 21:53:43

Some 4X4s put most, 90% - 95% to the front wheels until it feels that they are spinning and then it puts more power to the back wheels and operates as a 4X4? Where would that fit in your form?

chocoluvva Sat 12-Jan-13 21:53:50

How about a ban on drivers under the age of 21(ish)!

Unless the young person had a special reason - work, disability. That would save lives and money.

When I'm in charge....

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 12-Jan-13 21:53:52

How are they causing damage?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now