AIBU? Yes probably but....

(47 Posts)
BonkeyMollocks Sat 12-Jan-13 19:15:11

....its really starting to get on my wick!

I have a small crafty type business/hobby which I sell mostly on Facebook. Only started a few months ago and its going well.

In the last few days I have been asked on 4 separate occasions where I buy my supplies from.. Everyone who has asked has been direct competition.

AIBU to be a selfish bitch and not tell them?

Tbh, they aren't hard to find if you bang some key words into Ebay so why message me?

I wouldn't dream of asking where someone got their stock, I would just try and find them myself if I wanted them that bad! As it happens I'm not a copycat and use my own head!

<dons flameproof suit for selfish bitch replies>

StuntGirl Sun 13-Jan-13 17:27:07

Definitely not BU. Cheeky sods.

A jewellery designer I used to love quit a few years ago, as a last hurrah she gave workahops where she shared techniques and sold a book with all her contacts and suppliers listed in it. But only because she was leaving the industry altogether!

NcNcNcNc Sun 13-Jan-13 17:20:22

Dreaming - that's probably the problem with the thing they want me to tell them where I got it from - it enables them to copy my ideas and I'd rather they had to put some effort in grin

At a craft fair my friend was asked not only where she got all her supplies but also how she made each item grin grin

DreamingOfTheMaldives Sat 12-Jan-13 23:19:24

If you don't mind them having access to the same things as you then why don't you offer to supply them, for a higher price of course, and make some money out of it.

LiveItUp Sat 12-Jan-13 22:19:02

quote that is sooooo cute!

quoteunquote Sat 12-Jan-13 21:47:08
Feelingood Sat 12-Jan-13 21:38:25

Yanbu aerrfff

NcNcNcNc Sat 12-Jan-13 21:37:04

Hahahahaha! I picked up the Beads And Beyond one when I was at the NEC Craft show and stood there saying <loudly> 'Oh LOOK, it's ME in THIS MAGAZINE, LOOK' but no one gave a flying fig grin

If you're on Etsy come join TeamBritannia/CraftBritannia we're a UK based team, very nice and helpful people smile

BonkeyMollocks Sat 12-Jan-13 21:32:13

bed Feck off wink

Will pm you re order!

Nc thats fab!
I have only been going since beginning of Oct so still new!
Do you have them framed and on the wall? I would grin

NcNcNcNc Sat 12-Jan-13 21:27:51

Started when I was on maternity leave with youngest dd who is now 3.

I've been in 4 magazines and 2 more asked me but I missed the deadline to reply grin

I had a 2 page spread in Beads and Beyond <get me!>

Always makes me think of those magazines at the end of Have I Got News For You grin grin

bedmonster Sat 12-Jan-13 21:27:43

Lovely stuff bonkey, would you mind me asking where you source your.... grin
Actually, saw something id like to order, how do I go about it? Only looking on my phone so will actually order in the week when on laptop?

BonkeyMollocks Sat 12-Jan-13 21:20:28

envy of magazines!

How long have you been doing it for Nc?

NcNcNcNc Sat 12-Jan-13 21:19:51

Thank you that's really nice of you smile

I've been in quite a few magazines but that doesn't always translate to sales. I do it as a hobby but it would be great to do full time.

IneedAgoldenNickname Sat 12-Jan-13 21:19:21

If also love a link please OP, I love handmade stuff.

Yanbu btw

bedmonster Sat 12-Jan-13 21:10:11

Can I have a pm too please?
<out and out nosey bag here!>

MarmaladeSkies Sat 12-Jan-13 21:07:55

Well even if not I have the link now anyway.grin Your stuff looks gorgeous NC. I'll have a proper look at it in a bit.

NcNcNcNc Sat 12-Jan-13 20:57:58

I'll put mine here Marmalade:

www.etsy.com/shop/mollymoodesign

<hopes that it is allowed>

MarmaladeSkies Sat 12-Jan-13 20:56:33

If anyone else has an Etsy/FB crafty page can I have a pm too. I love handmade things.

yanbu ive had it too.

i also had one "friend" who never had any interest in what i did, then suddenly she had a page, and copied all my designs badly needless to say... she got very blocked grin

would also love a pm cause im nosey i like to support other craft peeps smile

ArkadyRose Sat 12-Jan-13 20:37:51

Just ignore them; you're certainly not obliged to give competitors a hand up by giving them the details of your suppliers - let them do their own research!

MammaTJ Sat 12-Jan-13 20:37:48

YANBU

<another who wants the link to your page>

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sat 12-Jan-13 20:35:39

*commission ... ahem blush

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sat 12-Jan-13 20:35:20

Freebies?

I want comission £££££ grin

namechanger11111 Sat 12-Jan-13 20:33:52

Can you send me a pm too please so i can be nosy.

BonkeyMollocks Sat 12-Jan-13 20:33:41

Pm'd you Marmalade!

Brian Are you after freebies? wink

NcNcNcNc Sat 12-Jan-13 20:32:18

send me a pm ! <hopes you're not one of my competitors> grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now