AIBU? Yes probably but....

(47 Posts)
BonkeyMollocks Sat 12-Jan-13 19:15:11

....its really starting to get on my wick!

I have a small crafty type business/hobby which I sell mostly on Facebook. Only started a few months ago and its going well.

In the last few days I have been asked on 4 separate occasions where I buy my supplies from.. Everyone who has asked has been direct competition.

AIBU to be a selfish bitch and not tell them?

Tbh, they aren't hard to find if you bang some key words into Ebay so why message me?

I wouldn't dream of asking where someone got their stock, I would just try and find them myself if I wanted them that bad! As it happens I'm not a copycat and use my own head!

<dons flameproof suit for selfish bitch replies>

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sat 12-Jan-13 20:35:20

Freebies?

I want comission £££££ grin

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sat 12-Jan-13 20:35:39

*commission ... ahem blush

MammaTJ Sat 12-Jan-13 20:37:48

YANBU

<another who wants the link to your page>

ArkadyRose Sat 12-Jan-13 20:37:51

Just ignore them; you're certainly not obliged to give competitors a hand up by giving them the details of your suppliers - let them do their own research!

yanbu ive had it too.

i also had one "friend" who never had any interest in what i did, then suddenly she had a page, and copied all my designs badly needless to say... she got very blocked grin

would also love a pm cause im nosey i like to support other craft peeps smile

MarmaladeSkies Sat 12-Jan-13 20:56:33

If anyone else has an Etsy/FB crafty page can I have a pm too. I love handmade things.

NcNcNcNc Sat 12-Jan-13 20:57:58

I'll put mine here Marmalade:

www.etsy.com/shop/mollymoodesign

<hopes that it is allowed>

MarmaladeSkies Sat 12-Jan-13 21:07:55

Well even if not I have the link now anyway.grin Your stuff looks gorgeous NC. I'll have a proper look at it in a bit.

bedmonster Sat 12-Jan-13 21:10:11

Can I have a pm too please?
<out and out nosey bag here!>

IneedAgoldenNickname Sat 12-Jan-13 21:19:21

If also love a link please OP, I love handmade stuff.

Yanbu btw

NcNcNcNc Sat 12-Jan-13 21:19:51

Thank you that's really nice of you smile

I've been in quite a few magazines but that doesn't always translate to sales. I do it as a hobby but it would be great to do full time.

BonkeyMollocks Sat 12-Jan-13 21:20:28

envy of magazines!

How long have you been doing it for Nc?

bedmonster Sat 12-Jan-13 21:27:43

Lovely stuff bonkey, would you mind me asking where you source your.... grin
Actually, saw something id like to order, how do I go about it? Only looking on my phone so will actually order in the week when on laptop?

NcNcNcNc Sat 12-Jan-13 21:27:51

Started when I was on maternity leave with youngest dd who is now 3.

I've been in 4 magazines and 2 more asked me but I missed the deadline to reply grin

I had a 2 page spread in Beads and Beyond <get me!>

Always makes me think of those magazines at the end of Have I Got News For You grin grin

BonkeyMollocks Sat 12-Jan-13 21:32:13

bed Feck off wink

Will pm you re order!

Nc thats fab!
I have only been going since beginning of Oct so still new!
Do you have them framed and on the wall? I would grin

NcNcNcNc Sat 12-Jan-13 21:37:04

Hahahahaha! I picked up the Beads And Beyond one when I was at the NEC Craft show and stood there saying <loudly> 'Oh LOOK, it's ME in THIS MAGAZINE, LOOK' but no one gave a flying fig grin

If you're on Etsy come join TeamBritannia/CraftBritannia we're a UK based team, very nice and helpful people smile

Feelingood Sat 12-Jan-13 21:38:25

Yanbu aerrfff

quoteunquote Sat 12-Jan-13 21:47:08
LiveItUp Sat 12-Jan-13 22:19:02

quote that is sooooo cute!

DreamingOfTheMaldives Sat 12-Jan-13 23:19:24

If you don't mind them having access to the same things as you then why don't you offer to supply them, for a higher price of course, and make some money out of it.

NcNcNcNc Sun 13-Jan-13 17:20:22

Dreaming - that's probably the problem with the thing they want me to tell them where I got it from - it enables them to copy my ideas and I'd rather they had to put some effort in grin

At a craft fair my friend was asked not only where she got all her supplies but also how she made each item grin grin

StuntGirl Sun 13-Jan-13 17:27:07

Definitely not BU. Cheeky sods.

A jewellery designer I used to love quit a few years ago, as a last hurrah she gave workahops where she shared techniques and sold a book with all her contacts and suppliers listed in it. But only because she was leaving the industry altogether!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now