to think its a little bit off to host a party for your dc with a sleepover for a select few immediately after?

(132 Posts)
Mintyy Sat 12-Jan-13 18:41:27

So the 'b' listers get collected and the 'a' listers get to stay the night.

Only serves to make the b listers feel a wee bit shite?

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 12-Jan-13 19:00:22

Depends how old the children are? By early teens this was standard because groups of 10/15 used to go to the cinema and Pizza Hut etf and then 3 or 4 would stay over.

Never knew it to happen at parties when I was younger though.

As a poster has said,depends on how many are attending as well. 2 out of 6 not getting to stay is odd. 3 out of 12 being able to stay sounds fine to me.

Floggingmolly Sat 12-Jan-13 19:01:28

It's not particularly normal in my world, I think it's a crap thing to do.

Proudnscary Sat 12-Jan-13 19:02:22

I don't think it's mean or rude!! Wow the things some people take offence at. Kids have best/better friends. Parents are entitled to ask just a few for a sleepover.

Clary Sat 12-Jan-13 19:02:22

Yeh MI your kids is hard!

It's not unheard of but I agree it's best if it's a small sleepover following a big party (like, 15 at the party, 2 sleep over). I think ew have had it and no-one has been bothered. Honestly can't recall if I have done it...in our old house we certainly had no room for more than 2 to sleep over!

Why would youwant the party to go on for 2 nights? And yes, mightn't some be hurt that they weren't asked to the separate sleepover? Kids just need to learn that some people will be best mates and others just OK mates, and IME they do.

jamdonut Sat 12-Jan-13 19:02:31

Why do a sleepover at all? What is wrong with having a party, then home?
I've never had sleepovers for any of my 3.(Mainly due to lack of space). They've survived.
Besides, when she was younger, the few sleepovers my DD went to I got calls late at night because she wanted to come home! She's 16 now, and is still not keen on sleepovers.(though she has done 2 or 3 without the phonecall home!)

ledkr Sat 12-Jan-13 19:02:44

Dd has done this the last few years. Has ten kids for the evening. Watch movies make pizza do nails etc. then one stays for a sleepover. First year I was hugely pg so just explained I couldn't have too many last year dd just explains to her mates she's only allowed one and to be fair it's her best friend since nursery and she doesn't go to same school and her mum has four younger dc and can't get out to collect her later.

blinkinflip Sat 12-Jan-13 19:03:28

Eek, I was thinking of doing something like this in a couple of weeks - please OP, whereabouts roughly are you? <runs about panicking in case it's our party OP is talking about>

Emandlu Sat 12-Jan-13 19:04:04

We will have to agree to disagree then Mintyy, I know that my kids have been picked up from good friends houses and not been hurt when others were staying over. If there isn't room then there isn't room. It isn't personal.

ihearsounds Sat 12-Jan-13 19:04:12

I have done it and I will do it again. I dont want all the invitees staying. More imoortantly my dc's choose who they want within a set limit. My limit is based on space. My children dont have to like everyone, and they accept that they are not as liked by others. Its the way life revolves.

The birthday sleepovers have been for an number of reasons - only time I can do it for a few months - other stuff arranged with the sleepers - stuff arranged with their parents ( have a laugh/meal/drink) plus other countlesd reasons.

Surely if children are dissapointed tey will be even if on another night?

TheBrideofMucky Sat 12-Jan-13 19:04:56

Yes you'd feel a bit left out if you were in the "being picked up" group, wouldn't you?

They should either have all the children over or if not feasible, have a sleepover another night IMO.

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Sat 12-Jan-13 19:06:15

Nah, is how things are done now.

Same as the Wedding Breakfast/Evening Do thing for A-lister and B-lister wedding Guests.

I don't see a problem.

Portofino Sat 12-Jan-13 19:08:55

We did this for dd last year, but I checked with parents before sending out the invitiations. Dd was 8. Only a couple were happy to stay, so it all worked out fine.

Mintyy Sat 12-Jan-13 19:10:41

But it is adults being invited to weddings, not small children.

I am not saying its poisonous, abusive or horrible to do this, please note. Just a little bit "off". Imvho.

OddBoots Sat 12-Jan-13 19:10:59

I guess I should just be glad that my dc either don't live in an area where this happens or don't have friends who would see this as an acceptable thing to do.

Sure, they are closer to some children than others but the relationships seem quite fluid and friendly, marking out relationships with an invitation division would start to make things cliquey and uncomfortable.

charlottehere Sat 12-Jan-13 19:12:23

YABU if most children are going home.

MamaMumra Sat 12-Jan-13 19:16:35

I wouldn't do it, but I like DS to be inclusive, so if he's having a party all the class get invited etc.

I'd do a sleepover on another night, so I think YANBU.

simplesusan Sat 12-Jan-13 19:16:47

I think this is just life. Adults often have certain friends stay over whilst others go home. Its' to do with room.

Almostfifty Sat 12-Jan-13 19:17:43

It has happened all the time here since mine were small. Never thought anything of it, it's not a big deal unless you make it into one.

ihearsounds Sat 12-Jan-13 19:23:32

This will twist your knickers.

How about preparty a few select friends of party child go to the cinema. When guests arrive, they are already there.

Have done the above as well. Including a sleep over after.

BackforGood Sat 12-Jan-13 19:26:12

I don't understand why some of you you think having a child to sleepover on another night changes anything confused.
Your child is choosing 1 other friend to sleepover, that means that all the other friends aren't sleeping over, doesn't matter what day it is. Normal people just accept that. Only on MN would something like this be an issue. If I thought a child or their mother was going to get huffy about going home at the end of a party, my inclination would be to not invite them again. I think it's extremely rude, and 'entitled' to think your child should be invited to sleep over.

What almostfifty says ^^ is spot on. "Only an issue if you make it into one.

girliefriend Sat 12-Jan-13 19:29:06

I think its o.kay, although I think its quite brave of the parents to have a party, get the kids really hyped up and then have a few of them all night shock grin

My dds having a sleepover instead of a party this year, just having 3 of her best friends over. I wouldn't do a party and sleepover <tight mother emicom>

Butkin Sat 12-Jan-13 19:31:53

Normal here. Only last week DD went to a cinema party (for 10yo classmate - all girls in year) followed by dinner at local restaurant. A couple of the birthday girls best friends went back with her mum for a sleepover as was Friday night.

The kids don't think anything off it. They know who their best school friends are and completely relaxed about not being invited if that is the case - just pleased to be invited to the party!

RedHelenB Sat 12-Jan-13 19:32:21

YABU - my dds have been both a & b listers!

Bowlersarm Sat 12-Jan-13 19:32:53

YABU The minefield of do's and don'ts of holding a children's party are getting more and more complex. If my DC's are invited to a party they either want to go or not and i reply accordingly. I'm pleased they have been asked and If there are other birthday celebrations in place like a sleepover it's irrelevant if it doesn't involve my child. My only problem would be if it obviously excluded just one or two children

Ds is 13 and dd is 10 and we have never come across this practise yet. (unless ds and dd have always been b-listers and it was all done very discretely...)

I can see why party givers would want to do it this way, but can also see how for a young child it can be a bit upsetting to be whisked off home whilst a select few get to stay and have more fun.

<gets comfortable on fence>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now