AIBU about these customers?

(107 Posts)
PeacockFeathers Sat 12-Jan-13 18:12:00

Was spoken to like crap today at work by two very well spoken and dressed youngsters. DP was stood nearby in the shop making purchases coicidently and thinks I WBU.

Two young people wanting to buy wine. Both look under 25.

He has ID, she doesn't. I tell them I need to see both or I can't sell it to them, the law is clear on suspecting they are purchasing it for someone who is underage.

He offers uni ID with no date of birth on it, I tell him sorry but its not an accepted form of ID.

Both proceed to have a rant at me, telling me the law only applies to who is buying the alcohol. Tell me to use my common sense.

Call my supervisor over who backs me up and asks them to stop speaking to me like that.

Boy rants about how I am supposed to provide good customer service. Asks for my name and says they will complain.

DP thinks I ruined someones night. I think the boy looked anywhere from 16+ so was right, but feel shite at how patronising they were.

ihearsounds Sat 12-Jan-13 18:38:53

Is this a new thing that both need to be id'd?
I sometimes have my dc's with me when buying alcohol, never refused regardless where i go. Nye dc's were going seperate parties in the same direction so travelled together. On the way ds stopped to buy alcohol and younger dc was in shop with him. He was id'd, she wasnt and he was served.

littlewhitebag Sat 12-Jan-13 18:39:45

My DD is 20 and would absolutely expect to be refused if she had no ID with her. Also if she is with me in the supermarket and i am buying wine and she has forgotten her ID she will go to the car in case they think i am buying it for her. <not a chance>

balia Sat 12-Jan-13 18:40:09

I didn't know about the both have ID thing and got caught out in the supermarket with DD. I was looking for a particular kind of white wine to take to a family friend's for a meal. DD (then 17) found it and pointed it out to me saying something like 'This one, Mum' and then a security guard came over and said I couldn't buy it because she had picked it out so I was buying it for her.

You have my sympathy, though, OP - I used to work in a video store and a few times had people being really arsey because I couldn't rent 18's to their children even if they gave permission on the phone.

Brodicea Sat 12-Jan-13 18:41:29

YANBU - loads of places ID people all the time. Near me, they (super markets and offies) ID anyone who looks under 45! Hence, at 32 I still carry ID - they should have expected this scenario.

It really annoys me how people think 'customer service' means doing whatever the customer says.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 12-Jan-13 18:42:56

Unfortunately the well spoken ones are the ones who sneer most (group up with the kind). Well done and your DP is BU.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 12-Jan-13 18:43:19

sorry - grew up.

BigShinyBaubles Sat 12-Jan-13 18:45:56

I work for Tesco, at out new Think 25 training we were told only the customer buying the alcohol has to provide i.d now. It used to be all those present but its changed.
I see every day how annoyed alot of customers get but our jobs depend on us being vigilant. I certainly am not prepared to get a fine, lose my job and possibly get a criminal record so you can have a drink.

BigShinyBaubles Sat 12-Jan-13 18:46:45

Oh sorry, they were totally bu to speak to you like that so Im glad your manager backed you up.

SpicyPear Sat 12-Jan-13 18:49:08

YANBU. I'm 30 and stated carrying ID when the supermarkets started getting stricter as I have been asked the odd time. You were doing you're job and there are usually plenty of notices up so they know to carry ID. One nice lady did accept my wedding ring as ID though and said "oh I got that very wrong didn't I?" smile

EmpressOfThePuddle Sat 12-Jan-13 18:50:13

My 16 year old cousin regularly gets her makeup on and tries to persuade shops to sell her alcohol without ID.

The moment she's paid for it, the police officers she's working with pile in and the seller has a nasty shock.

You did exactly the right thing.

SpicyPear Sat 12-Jan-13 18:51:37

Ooh Empress I would have loved to do that!

PeacockFeathers Sat 12-Jan-13 18:53:05

BigShinyBaubles- We have had it reiterated to us that all must provide ID. I don't work for Tesco though so must be different policies. I have been refused in pubs too because they thought I was buying for young-looking friends.

Oooh, how can I get my dd that job! Shed love it!

Itsaboatjack Sat 12-Jan-13 18:57:55

Challenge 25 is not law, but it is a very common policy in most places. If you sold the alcohol to the 24yr old with ID then you wouldn't get fined. 'Suspecting' that they are going to give it to give it to someone underage is very subjective and would be difficult to prove in order to prosecute.

However saying that if it is your company policy to ID both then that is what you should have done and your supervisor was correct in supporting you just doing your job.

TataClaire Sat 12-Jan-13 19:05:58

I used to get this all the time when I was a manger at a cinema, people used to get absolutely hysterical about it to the point that we sometimes had to call security/police...
stand firm, rules are rules and quite frankly they need to get a grip if not having a bit of alcohol is going to ruin their day. It's also foolish not to carry proper ID!

blueemerald Sat 12-Jan-13 19:09:07

Although it's never an excuse to be aggressive or rude to anyone I do find the challenge 25 thing incredibly annoying! The law states you need to be 18 to buy alcohol in this country. I have always looked very young for my age. Growing up I finally looked 18 (at about 21) and many places changed it to challenge 21. When I looked 21 (now really, at 26) more and more places have challenge 25. I don't have a passport and I don't drive. I'm reluctant to spend £50 on a provisional license. 70% of the time I can get away with using my expired passport.
I work in a school and I've been ID'd in the pub after work on a Friday with my 17 year old sixth formers sitting across the bar. (Yes, I have a quiet word and suggest the staff ID them)

Of course, none of this was your decision OP and your DP should be supportive.

Paiviaso Sat 12-Jan-13 19:09:35

I think the idea that you must look 25 to be able to buy something restricted to under 18s is ridiculous. You should need to look 18.

I have had occasions ruined because I did not have ID. It is incredibly frustrating to be denied service in my late 20s. I don't look 17, sell me my drink.

I know it's not the cashiers fault - though some of them do have very dodgy judgement, as we see when stories of elderly ladies denied sale emerge. My boyfriend was denied sale once because he showed his provisional driving licence, and they "only accepted full driving licences." confused

"ruined someones night." hmm

Your dp is an idiot.

bruffin Sat 12-Jan-13 19:18:10

My ds is 17 and has a UCAS and a NUS card, they and them out to 6th formers now so they are not proof of over 18

NamingOfParts Sat 12-Jan-13 19:20:25

YANBU - DD(17) and her BF(19) understand these rules perfectly well. If BF is buying alcohol then DD stays in the car.

BTW before anyone gets judgy BF was buying wine as a gift for his family. The alcohol gene seems to have skipped DD completely (no I'm not naive!).

MrsReiver Sat 12-Jan-13 19:22:26

My turn to stand corrected - just checked and Challenge 25 isn't law, just a policy. I apologise.

nokidshere Sat 12-Jan-13 19:27:39

I agree with the providing ID but not necessarily for all in the shop.

I wanted to buy strepsils for my 14 year old son who was with me in the shop. I asked him what flavour he wanted and she said she couldn't sell it to me because I was buying it for him -wtaf???? Strepsils can be used for over 12's but she still refused to sell it to me.

If I hadn't have asked him she wouldn't have questioned as to who they were for. Makes no sense at all. My sons are often with me if I am buying wine I would be very pissed off if I couldn't have it because I had a teenager with me.

WoweeZowee Sat 12-Jan-13 19:39:34

YANBU. IME the more fuss someone makes about being ID'd, the less likely they actually are to be of age.

RedToothbrush Sat 12-Jan-13 19:50:01

You know, I wish EVERYONE was IDed. Its much fairer, everyone knows where they stand and it doesn't put the seller at risk nor does it piss off the buyer.

NatashaBee Sat 12-Jan-13 19:51:35

You would be personally responsible for the fine if you sold to an underage customer, would your DH be happy to chip in for it? Thought not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now