Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To expect my dd's swimming teacher to listen to my views??

(58 Posts)
Squiffie Sat 12-Jan-13 17:22:52

DD started swimming lessons last week. I had concerns about her wearing armbands/rings as she's 2 and quite tiny even the 'flat' rings take up half her arm and don't really stay on! The teacher was fab - she said as I was in the water with her there was no need for bands and offers use of a noodle/woggle which dd loved!

Anyway this week we had an arrogant male teacher (who apparently is her actual teacher) who I insisted she wear the armbands or else I could find her another lesson to attend! I tried to explain that the previous week she had not had them and he refused to budge on the matter (dh was in the water so gave in) and basically said it was his way or not at all! He said he needed to wear the armbands because he had more control that way, although not entirely sure what he meant by that :/

Am I being unreasonable to expect my dd (and every child in the class - 6 of them) to be treated as individuals according to their needs rather than what the swimming teacher needs?

mercibucket Sat 12-Jan-13 22:10:25

All the swim schools here use arm rings - apart from those for babies eg waterbabies
In all honesty it sounds like a mountain out of a molehill but certainly move to another class.

DonderandBlitzen Sat 12-Jan-13 22:13:02

I've found swimming teachers quite unbending about not making allowances for individuals. In my case I asked if i could get in with my daughter initially or if she could wear armbands initially, as she was scared of going in without me/armbands. The swimming teacher said no to both, but they have to be like that. They have to insist that people all do things their way, because they are responsible for children's safety in the water. They can't have each child doing something different as it would be harder to organise the lesson. You just have to accept it or find another lesson.

sameoldlovebunny Sat 12-Jan-13 22:38:26

if you don't like the way they teach, find somewhere else.

MerylStrop Sun 13-Jan-13 16:57:33

I think you are the arrogant one here.

It's his class, and he doesn't have to adapt it to suit you (and everyone else who fancies a different permutation). It's your prerogative as the paying customer to choose a different class.

Unless he was actually intimidating/offensive (as opposed to brisk as you might be when trying to begin a class promptly for other paying customers) a complaint is possibly both spiteful and futile.

marquesas Sun 13-Jan-13 17:04:33

Where are the lessons - at a council run leisure centre or a private facility? I've been to under 3 swimming classes in two different council areas and both were games and songs as you expected, neither used armbands and nor do any other pools I've been to with older children.

I'd be thinking hard about an alternative venue - the lessons for older children won't differ much whereever you go.

Floggingmolly Sun 13-Jan-13 17:25:22

Why don't you just pay for private lessons, if you want the class tailored to your requirements?

Bobyan Sun 13-Jan-13 18:30:19

Why don't' you ask your son's teacher to teach your children privately if it's that much of an issue to you?

In my experience armbands restrict movement in the water, so YANBU to question these methods.
DS has been going to swimming classes since he was 5 months old and proper lessons since he was 1 year - and they DO learn through songs and games. Rhythm is hugely important in swimming and this is the best way to teach that kind of control. Also - it should be fun!
I don't know what to suggest - the teacher should explain his reasons to you and if you are still unhappy, I guess you have to leave and find a class that better suits your expectations.
And to the posters who don't see the point in lessons - my DS is 3.5 and can swim a length of the pool unaided. He has two lessons a week, which he loves, and we also go socially once a week, where we play. His confidence in water is fantastic, and he swims using proper techniques, which are only going to help him as he gets older.
It's not for everyone, but there are lots of reasons to do it. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now