Newspaper taking photos of children at school then selling them to parents

(103 Posts)
Palinto Sat 12-Jan-13 08:43:03

When DS started school I ticked the box which said I didn't mind him having his photo taken, assuming this would be for school related things.

A term in and a photo of their first day at school is published in our cities newspaper, which we can then buy from them.... I felt a bit hmm about this but obviously didn't want to not buy a picture of my DS on his first day at school.. I was then charged £7 plus £2 postage for a rubbish quality tiny print.

It reminds me of being in Morocco and getting followed by guys with cameras who would then try to sell you the pictures they took, i.e. not entirely appropriate for an infant school. I wouldn't mind so much buying a photo from the actual school, but the newspaper?

AIBU to be annoyed at this?

Shesparkles Sat 12-Jan-13 08:45:08

YABU. You don't have to buy that photo. If it's anything like my local paper the price will have been clear from the outset

lockets Sat 12-Jan-13 08:45:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Palinto Sat 12-Jan-13 08:47:20

I feel that my child is at school to learn, not to be herded into a photo in order to make money for the newspaper

lockets Sat 12-Jan-13 08:49:48

cazzybabs Sat 12-Jan-13 08:49:48

You had the option not the buy. Some parents want a professional photo and schools see it as chance to raise some money. You could tell the school you thought the quality wasn't great and see if they could get someone else on?

TandB Sat 12-Jan-13 08:50:52

What do you think he's going to learn on his first day of school? confused

Other than where the toilets are and to put his hand up when he wants to ask a question.

ubik Sat 12-Jan-13 08:52:02

I quite like seeing all the P1's in the newspaper. We just kept the paper, didn't bother with s print.

lockets Sat 12-Jan-13 08:53:06

Palinto Sat 12-Jan-13 08:53:48

It wasn't bought from the school, it was bought from the newspaper, I wouldn't have minded at all is it was money going to the school but feel a bit hmm about inviting outside businesses in to make money

shesariver Sat 12-Jan-13 08:55:41

I think you are over reacting a bit, not every second at school will be filled with education - you better get used to this or you will cause yourself major stress as the years go on. A few minutes for a photo is no big deal in the scheme of things really. Noone is forced to buy it, and you could just have kept the newspaper. I still have various newspaper cuttings of my DS1 whos 19 from his primary school years that I love to embarrass him with.

Palinto Sat 12-Jan-13 08:56:14

I suppose it also bothers me because we are having real financial problems at the moment, I may not mind so much if we weren't, I don't know.

halcyondays Sat 12-Jan-13 08:57:19

We just kept the paper too.
Most schools do this, lots of people like seeing the photos in the paper, it's nothing at all like being in Morocco. You will no doubt be able to buy a photo from the school itself later in the year.

Cabrinha Sat 12-Jan-13 08:58:11

I expect the school does make money - allow the newspaper to take photo, take a cut from sales.

lockets Sat 12-Jan-13 08:58:14

Palinto Sat 12-Jan-13 08:58:36

It was a bit like I felt I had to buy it (I know I didn't, but come on even the newspaper know it will pull a few heartstrings) but it was expensive (and rubbish) and I felt a bit cheated, then I felt a bit pissed off that they are trying to make money out of my son from me, while he is at school. It doesn't seem like much money to some people but to us it was expensive.

porridgewithalmondmilk Sat 12-Jan-13 09:00:58

I think that is a really unfair comment, lockets, I haven't seen anything in what the OP has written that states she doesn't see it as a "nice keepsake" but that the quality wasn't very good and she's having financial problems - both good reasons not to spend £9 on a photograph!

mellen Sat 12-Jan-13 09:01:27

Why not just keep the newspaper? Isn't that what most people do?

lockets Sat 12-Jan-13 09:01:31

lockets Sat 12-Jan-13 09:02:50

FestiveWench Sat 12-Jan-13 09:03:04

Wouldn't have occurred to me to buy it.

It always seems to be people with money problems that feel they HAVE to buy stuff or they are somehow letting their children down. This makes me sad.

lockets Sat 12-Jan-13 09:04:46

porridgewithalmondmilk Sat 12-Jan-13 09:06:39

I took that as a general comment - yes, not every second at school is filled with learning (and I know, I am a teacher! grin) but on the other hand, there does seem an aspect of "now we have these children in our tender loving care, let's make money from them" which I dislike.

Official school photographs are obligatory and theatre visits are fun/educational so not quite the same thing really!

halcyondays Sat 12-Jan-13 09:08:25

What on earth are the paper going to do about it, given that op had already seen the pic,thought it was poor quality, but bought it anyway?

HollyBerryBush Sat 12-Jan-13 09:10:27

Our local paper has a purchases page - they print one photo with a news article then you can follow the link to the purchases page and buy it (and more that the photographer took)

I thought this was common practice with free papers? they have to make money to keep afloat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now