16 kids and counting...

(379 Posts)
thatisall Fri 11-Jan-13 21:47:38

I genuinely don't know what I think, have no strong opinions about their lifestyle, life choices etc etc.....my first thoughts were that it was just too many but they seem very nice and happy lol

Am I being unreasonable to want to chat about the show on here anyway?

No I'm not a jour no trying to get a MN quote before someone suggests it....

....just sat at home alone thinking 16....? 16!? :-O

LividDil Sat 12-Jan-13 09:02:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Madmum24 Sat 12-Jan-13 10:11:56

I watched the programme and it seems they are a lovely well adjusted family. I do believe that some people are able to look after lots of children (although 16 is alot!) while some think two kids are a real handful.

It did say that both Sue and Noel are adopted, which is one of the reasons they liked to have so many kids of their own. However it did say that they had their first child, a boy, when Sue was 14, but there was no mention of him in the programme. Did I miss something?

The dad seems very hands on, and my gosh when she came home from the hospital a day after giving birth to no 16 she looked fresher than I do and I only have 5

I would also love an indepth documentary following the family over an extended period of time. The Duggars are an American family with 19 (or 20?) children and they have a programme showing daily life etc.

AlwaysHoldingOnToStarbug Sat 12-Jan-13 10:21:15

I have 5 and my house is messy enough! I thought they seemed to cope very well, I guess they have worked out a routine they stick by, not like my chaotic life! Their kids all seemed lovely and well turned out.

I was surprised the daughter got pregnant, I put my stepdaughter off having babies for a long time by having 5! grin

I thought my house was loud, I bet theirs is very noisy. Though saying that I have a friend with 10 kids and hers make far less noise than mine!

charlottehere Sat 12-Jan-13 10:29:21

Did I hear right, she irons a 100 item s a day, why? I iron hardly anything, only have 4 dcs. grin

Both seem like lovley, devoted parents. However, I don't understand the fiances, they go one foreign holidays <eyes boggle>.

I don't understand how they cope with the housework, 9 loads of washing a day. shock

Some of the kids beds didnt have sheets on and they seemed to have a lot of dcs in one bed.

Yes judgy but thats what happens if you get paid appear on tv.

charlottehere Sat 12-Jan-13 10:32:04

I though it was very unfair on the grandparents to leave the childen with them for 3 days, the grandad just looked over whelmed. When Sue was in hospital Noel could of held the fort and not left it to the gps and the daughter who had a newborn.

Also suprised that Sue and Noel want more when the health risks are significant with so many pregnancies.

bedmonster Sat 12-Jan-13 10:38:26

I think they seem like a loving family.
But I cannot for the life of me understand how they afforded a 10 bed house, and also when the extra passport hassle cost them a grand it was like water off a ducks back to them - they were just so happy to be going away!
My favourite bit was when two of the kids were sat discussing the mums cleaning habits, and he was saying how she'd improved after they'd reached baby number 10, and how she seemed to have it down to a fine art now grin
But also thought the 2 girls were very sweet saying how they were going to be nannys. No, grannys. No, uncles.
Obviously Mum and Dad will be hard pushed to spend quality time with them one on one, but plenty of kids don't get that with only 2 or 3 siblings. To me, they seemed to be doing what most other parents strive to do, and that is their best. Mum clearlyt works hard at keeping the house running smoothly and dad goes to work and mucks in with the kids. They all seemed to be very close I though.
It wouldn't be many peoples choice but they obviously love their children and are enjoying having a large family. Would be interesting to see how many kids they each go on to have.

bedmonster Sat 12-Jan-13 10:43:40

charlotte think the kids all liked to share beds, the mum showed at one point that the kids had their own beds but regularly found them all piled into one bed in the mornings as they liked to be close to each other. And one night the kids pulled the sheets off the beds.
It's obviously a chaotic household!
But i think the Dad did go home as it only said it was the longest they hadn't seen their mum for, not parents, just mentioned the mum.
And as for them leaving their daughter at home alone with their new baby, well she is a grown up and has decided to have a baby. She is an adult. I was the same age when I had my DD. DP and I looked after ourselves.

Anyway, I am in awe and all it has made me do is want more children! I already have 3 and thought that was a large family!

UrsulaBuffay Sat 12-Jan-13 10:44:08

One thing that did strike me was the little boy saying that new babies came along to 'replace' them and that the older ones would still 'be around' he just seemed a little sad about it.

Amazing people overall though.

thatisall Sat 12-Jan-13 10:58:04

I think it was the priorities that worried me. If number 17 or 18 cause mum to be poorly or heaven forbid something worse, what happens to the children?
And what about the social responsibility of making so many new children especially when there are so many children in care?
I also started thinking about adult to child ratios in care settings like nurseries or with child minders: isn't it 4 children to one adult or is it 8? Of it deemed unsafe to have lots of children per adult, is mum looking after 16 whilst ad is at work really responsible?? Or is it that the older ones have responsibility for the younger ones (something that happens in smaller smilies too of course)

Madmum24 Sat 12-Jan-13 15:05:49

I'd love to have a break down of their finances not that it's my business but I like money saving trips! I can't see how £30k could stretch so far if they fork out £5k annually on a holiday, £3k on birthdays and £700 on school uniforms. I wonder do they own their house outright or do they have a mortgage?

I've been fantisizing all night about a massive family ;-)

I had two thoughts on it:

Fuck that
Fanjo like a Bucket.

They did look very happy but do you think they've ever forgotten one of their names?

Dp was horrified by the idea and he's Irish.

I haven't watched it yet but my Granddad was one of 19! I could never get my head around that. My great-nan had 21 pregnancies, two were sadly still-born. Bigger families were a bit more normal back then I think, but even so....19!!!!!

Good luck to 'em if they're happy.

lockets Sat 12-Jan-13 15:15:06

lockets erm, I was being sarcastic.

lockets Sat 12-Jan-13 15:25:13

kim147 Sat 12-Jan-13 15:29:46

That's going to be a lot of grandkids in the future - can you imagine sorting out the presents and cards?

Mylittlepuds Sat 12-Jan-13 16:00:34

I thought they were inspirational in terms of keeping it all together. It's certainly made me question how much I moan with 1 DC and one on the way blush

Not sure if its ideal in terms of attention and the children feeling special. But then again I was one of three and although very much loved by my parents I don't have any real stand out memories of being made a right fuss over.

Feminine Sat 12-Jan-13 16:03:20

At the end, Mum said they didn't think they were done.

Dad looked like this: envy

I think that says it all.

Pound shop for the grand kids!!

I think they seem like a really nice family, the kids are well turned out and their home is clean (cleaner than mine!)

lurcherlover Sat 12-Jan-13 16:28:32

I don't think it is a case of "it's their choice to have 16 kids, up to them". We live on an overcrowded planet as it is, and the impact that first-world families have is much greater than third-world ones. Tbh (go ahead and flame me) I think 16 kids is morally wrong for that reason.

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Happymum22 Sat 12-Jan-13 16:38:01

Thought they were a great family. Not sure about 16 kids and impact on each kid, but their choice and wow are they doing a good job.

I think the kids were great at caring for each other and knowing about risk and safety. Thought maybe the parents could do more spending time with the kdis in smaller groups and paying attention- but tbh can't critisise as I struggled with 4 just keeping everything ticking. The kids also didn't seem to miss out because of being such a large family, they seemed so proud and happy.
Because mum and dad couldn't watch all at once and they had a fair bit of freedom in playing unsupervised and with so many other children, they seemed good at knowing whats a bump and whats serious and how to keep safe when playing.

Happymum22 Sat 12-Jan-13 16:46:01

Also would love a documentary looking at the children in school, how they do, how their personalities are when not around 15 others.

juule Sat 12-Jan-13 16:51:02

How do you mean Happymum?

" how their personalities are when not around 15 others."

they will be around many more than 15 others when they are at school grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now