Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

16 kids and counting...

(378 Posts)
thatisall Fri 11-Jan-13 21:47:38

I genuinely don't know what I think, have no strong opinions about their lifestyle, life choices etc etc.....my first thoughts were that it was just too many but they seem very nice and happy lol

Am I being unreasonable to want to chat about the show on here anyway?

No I'm not a jour no trying to get a MN quote before someone suggests it....

....just sat at home alone thinking 16....? 16!? :-O

AndrewJ Tue 19-Mar-13 23:46:32

David Attenborough has described humans as a "plague on Earth" that need to slow down breeding to stop the world's population being reduced by more brutal means.

Speaking to the Radio Times, the beloved naturalist said the impact of the rapidly increasing population "will come home to roost over the next 50 years or so."

Finding food for the human 'hordes' is as just big a threat to survival as global warming, he said.

“It’s not just climate change; it’s sheer space, places to grow food for this enormous horde," he told the magazine.

“Either we limit our population growth or the natural world will do it for us. The natural world is doing it for us right now.

I don't speak for David, but I think I have a very good idea of what he is trying to say:

Firstly: It is that overpopulation by this planet from human animals will lead to nature culling the unsustainable increase in human population through one or two certain ways: Nature will create a new, and as then, incurable disease new to man that will kill billions of people in a very fast, acute way, well before we even get even a small idea of the workings of the virus or bacteria that is our enemy.

Secondly: Day by day, we are taking up incredibly valuable space for a whole delicate ecosystem of wildlife, the world has been carefully balanced, but humans are tipping this great relationship into disaster. If ridiculous numbers of people are over-breeding, then it will tip this balance on earth, as 1 species alone cannot sustain the almost infinite natural interactions that go on within this great earth.

Think about it and your children's future, how ever many you have, and think hard, as Sir David Attenborough said his watch is counting down 50 years. Starting now.

I would set my watch to 10 years personally. I truly fear for my daughters future on this planet.

I hope this opens peoples eyes to unnecessary big families. If you love the children you already have, then don't have any more.

You will be doing so much more for their future by not overcrowding the planet.

KobayashiMaru Wed 20-Mar-13 01:15:21

Oh please. How will dropping below replacement levels in the developed world, leading to unsustainably aging populations, help with overcrowding and lack of resources in the developing world?
In ten years things will be no different for your western pampered only child.

NotKathyReichs Wed 20-Mar-13 01:26:10

AndrewJ has it occoured to you that advancement in medicine, which have dramatically reduced infant mortality and extended human life, may have had an effect on the population increase? Or that what David Attenborough is referring to is actually not as much of a problem in the developed western world?

Afaik the average family in the UK has 1.8 children. Having an opinion on whether its morally right to have 16 children is fine but your last post is scaremongering crap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now