Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

16 kids and counting...

(379 Posts)
thatisall Fri 11-Jan-13 21:47:38

I genuinely don't know what I think, have no strong opinions about their lifestyle, life choices etc etc.....my first thoughts were that it was just too many but they seem very nice and happy lol

Am I being unreasonable to want to chat about the show on here anyway?

No I'm not a jour no trying to get a MN quote before someone suggests it....

....just sat at home alone thinking 16....? 16!? :-O

terilou87 Fri 11-Jan-13 21:57:06

i was just watching it, yeah i was also thinking 16!! how do they cope. they do seem like a happy familiy but how much of it is put on for cameras.
can u imagine all the sibling fights. im one of 4 and we used to always fight and argue
it must be a very stressful life for the parents. hats off to them though, id be in the looney bin by now with that many children.

Kayano Fri 11-Jan-13 21:58:08

probably get Galesburg I think it's pretty irresponsible to have 16 kids

KobayashiMaru Fri 11-Jan-13 21:58:22

there is a whole topic for tv, and a thread about this show, so YABU, go to the right place.

LuluMai Fri 11-Jan-13 21:58:38

They do seem such a lovely and chilled out family! The dad in particular is such a nice fella!

thatisall Fri 11-Jan-13 21:58:44

Hats off indeed. All beautiful children, well behaved, well turned out etc etc, but I was the oldest of five and us older ones ended up looking after the little ones all the time!

Kayano Fri 11-Jan-13 21:59:01

Galesburg? flamed!

thatisall Fri 11-Jan-13 21:59:57

haha! I did wonder what a galesburg was?

thatisall Fri 11-Jan-13 22:01:32

I'm not sure I'd carry on if I was told, my health was seriously at risk...not really fair on the children you already have? Then again I'm probably just projecting my own feelings about lots of children. i don't know. I didn't expect them to look that happy I think.

terilou87 Fri 11-Jan-13 22:02:20

kayano at the risk of sounding stupid, what does probably get galesburg mean??confused never heard that before.

terilou87 Fri 11-Jan-13 22:03:14

already ansered lol

MrsKeithRichards Fri 11-Jan-13 22:04:31

I'm just jealous I can't get one of to school without some tears from someone and they manage all that!

HoHoHoNoYouDont Fri 11-Jan-13 22:05:51

What a lovely family they are.

TraineeBabyCatcher Fri 11-Jan-13 22:11:00

I think they're mad to be fair. I literally couldnt imagine dealing with all that. I love kids and love the idea of one day having a big family but I don't know how they manage the needs of all 16- even if you purely consider there needs around the house, clothes, food, etc.
She does make it look easy to have that many, most people would be running round like headless chickens after about 6! But they do seem like a really nice, well rounded family.

carabos Fri 11-Jan-13 22:19:17

I dunno, I think they're bonkers, but in a lovely sort of way.

pinkoddballs Fri 11-Jan-13 23:00:02

hi all I'm new here.
I interviewed Sue for my blog before the show and she is really nice. I just couldn't believe how much love a couple could have for their children. I think they came across as very well behaved children.

magimedi88 Fri 11-Jan-13 23:04:34

DH & i both said that those kids will grow up & grab the world & have very few 'isshues'.

What a lovely family.

TinyDancingHoofer Fri 11-Jan-13 23:29:47

They seem really nice but i would hate to be one of 16. How often do you think the older kids get to go out for dinner with just mum or just dad? I dunno i guess i wouldn't feel special if my parents had had me and then been like nope, need 15 more this family is not enough. That sounds harsh and quite self important, i don't think i am saying what i mean. Their kids are probably a lot less selfish than me!

apostropheuse Fri 11-Jan-13 23:44:33

I thought they looked happy, loved and well looked after. It's of course entirely their choice how many children they have, provided they can care and provide for them. They obviously were doing this very well.

However, to be honest, I was a bit surprised that they're not ruling out having more, as it's now getting more dangerous for her to be pregnant. The increased chances of her haemorrhaging I would have thought would have put them off having any more.It would be so tragic for that lovely family to lose their mum when it could be avoided.

katiecubs Fri 11-Jan-13 23:58:25

I could not get my head around how they even afforded them all?!?!!

Naysa Sat 12-Jan-13 04:10:44

I'll probably get flamed for asking this but...

How do the parents nurture the older children when there is a constant stream of newborns?

A relative of mine has just had twins and has two much older children (the youngest being twelve years older than the twins) and she's found it hard to make time for the older two so how do hey manage it with 16?

And as for her having another when it is risking her health IMO says a lot about her priorities, I.e it's more important to have another newborn than stay healthy for the kids I already have.

Something about it just doesn't sit right for me ...

Naysa Sat 12-Jan-13 04:13:54

I'll probably get flamed for asking this but...

How do the parents nurture the older children when there is a constant stream of newborns?

A relative of mine has just had twins and has two much older children (the youngest being twelve years older than the twins) and she's found it hard to make time for the older two so how do hey manage it with 16?

And as for her having another when it is risking her health IMO says a lot about her priorities, I.e it's more important to have another newborn than stay healthy for the kids I already have.

Something about it just doesn't sit right for me ...

MrsKeithRichards Sat 12-Jan-13 08:29:42

They seemed very hands on with all of the kids.

everlong Sat 12-Jan-13 08:42:53

Only saw the trailer and not the programme.

They looked like a lovely family. But I can't get my head why anyone would keep on having baby after after baby after baby.

Something not quite right.

DancingRoundTheKitchen Sat 12-Jan-13 08:55:55

I thought they all stemmed very happy and loved. I think it must be very special to be one of 16 and the siblings all seemed really close. But, I agree with Naysa, there can not be enough hours on the day to give all the children the attention (I think) they need, to nurture the older ones while caring for the younger ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now