Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To have thrown my daughter's recorder out of the bathroom window?

(78 Posts)
freddiefrog Fri 11-Jan-13 20:59:09

It was that, or it got shoved where the sun don't shine.

No one needs to tunelessly blow a recorder while they're in the bath do they? Especially as they've been blowing the bloody thing all day, every day since bloody Christmas.

I may shove the thing up the arse of the comedian who bought it for her

The space hopper is next on my hit list!

MrsKeithRichards Fri 11-Jan-13 23:20:39

Gold medal to vinegar!

yanbu they are an instrument of nothing other than torture.

babyicebean Fri 11-Jan-13 23:27:23

Come here and listen to my daughter sawing the cat in half under the pretext of violin practice.

Or her sister seeing how much volume she can get out of her saxophone

They can play both instruments reasonably but they seem to delight in torturing me.

Their brother blows the recorder usually hard enough that it is almost silent.

Maryz Fri 11-Jan-13 23:31:58

I have only read the title of your thread.

I have not read your op or any other posts.

And you are definitely NOT being unreasonable.

All recorders should be chucked out the nearest window, especially when played by anyone under the age of 18 [bitter].

CatPussRoastingOnAnOpenFire Fri 11-Jan-13 23:42:56

Recorders come straight from hell! YADNBU!

Wallison Fri 11-Jan-13 23:48:03

It's a musical instrument and musical instruments have souls! YABU.

BettySuarez Fri 11-Jan-13 23:48:40

Assuming that this is a lighthearted thread

Then YANBU grin

Alternatively, you could always teach her 'Londons Burning' the 'fire fire' part is particularly moving I find wink

Maryz Fri 11-Jan-13 23:49:55

It is not a musical instrument in the hands of a small child.

It is a very unmusical instrument of torture

CatPussRoastingOnAnOpenFire Fri 11-Jan-13 23:50:17

Pound shop stocking filler recorders do NOT have souls! And neither do the people who give them as gifts!

doyouwantfrieswiththat Sat 12-Jan-13 00:01:47

YANBU grin at bathtime you could have shown her how to play it underwater, or in bubble mix....what's she doing with the space hopper to test your sanity?

(I have boys, sooner or later everything gets turned into a weapon)

ripsishere Sat 12-Jan-13 00:26:27

I have not read any responses. YADNBU. My DD had recorder as part of her music curriculum. She was the only child not able to practice. Her recorder lived in the car. It would leave on Tuesdays for lessons and stay the rest of the week in Neptune (DD named the car).
On the rare occasions that she had to practice, a folded up piece of paper down the slanty bit stops the noise.

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 12-Jan-13 00:30:20

YADNBU. The recorder was an evil invention to torture parents,
Even played well it still sounds like shit.

VeronicaSpeedwell Sat 12-Jan-13 00:32:22

I really really hope you are my next door neighbour.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sat 12-Jan-13 00:32:50

Ah, the recorder, you've just sent me back years to my school days. I think I'll buy one for my niece, it will annoy the hell out of her parents grin

manicbmc Sat 12-Jan-13 00:33:07

You need to teach her this www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGwwJEE7k48

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sat 12-Jan-13 00:34:23

manic that's grin

manicbmc Sat 12-Jan-13 00:41:36

I have a friend whose dd can play 2 recorders at the same time. She is prodigiously talented. grin

BettySuarez Sat 12-Jan-13 09:05:51

manic that link is bloody hilarious.

DH is beside me in bed trying to read. He is hmm but I am grin grin

MrsKeithRichards Sat 12-Jan-13 09:24:55

I do remember being seriously pleased with myself when I learnt how to play Jesus Hands are Kind Hands on the recorder through my nose.

I feel your pain...but... I have a 9 year old learning the violin.
I say learning, what I really mean is screeching. Constantly.
Why on earth did I think a musical instrument was a good idea????

And why can't they just learn it at school? Why the actual fuck can't they leave it at school??

Tortoise Sat 12-Jan-13 09:38:06

My DDs are both learning clarinet at school. Unfortunately the dog hates it and howls every time they play them at home.grin

Euphemia Sat 12-Jan-13 09:40:47

Try Amazing Grace on a plastic kazoo at 7.30am. hmm

My mum let me learn the violin as a child, I was bloody awful and i don't know how she put up with me! My recorder playing was positively useful in comparison.

MrsKeithRichards Sat 12-Jan-13 09:45:28

My sister came home with a canter once which is the pipe blow bit from the bagpipes with no bag <technical> It's what you start out on before learning the bagpipes. Thankfully she lost interest!

What an aggressive and over the top way to react. YABU

My twins are learning the recorder at school this year. I've told them the recorders have to live at school <evil cackle>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now