To tell dh I hate his pride&joy burgers?

(110 Posts)
Jux Fri 11-Jan-13 20:11:41

I am immensely grateful that dh cooks quite often. He's an OK plain cook - sausages, chips, a bit of veg - and makes a mean dumpling, and pretty good beef stew.

However, about once a month he insists on doing burgers. He loves them. He squashes a handful of mince together really hard to make a ball, then squashes it flat. Then cooks it. That's it. No seasoning, herbs, nothing.

I think they're pretty vile and so does dd. Mind you, I don't like burgers much anyway.

It is hard to tell him, as he is soooooooo proud of them. I think there's an element of competition as his best mate makes 'fantastic' burgers, and that's probably rolling about in dh's mind somewhere.

Today he wanted to have burgers. He was really desperate to do them, and I'm not feeling brilliant, so am pleased to have someone else cook, and as he's cooking he obviously gets to choose what we eat, especially as he felt so strongly about it.

So I am dreading supper, though I'm really hungry!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 11-Jan-13 21:52:59

Flipping heck I would struggle with that.

DH once made carrot and coriander soup, which I loved at the time. Instead of adding white wine, he decided to use the end of a bottle of red which was on the side in the kitchen.

I came in and went 'WTF is that', he genuinely thought it had been a good idea. I got him to taste it, and we threw it in the bin together and went out for dinner. grin

Honesty in a marriage is all important, IMO.

slightlysoupstainedbabygrows Fri 11-Jan-13 21:54:52

If you're getting delicious stew once a week, and burgers only once a month, it sounds a reasonable deal to me. He obviously enjoys eating them himself.

TheFallenNinja Fri 11-Jan-13 21:56:54

I like to think I'm a bit of a dab hand in the kitchen, however, I would be mortified if good lady ate something she didn't like. I'd rather she said. grin I would find something else she liked.

Iggly Fri 11-Jan-13 21:59:08

Tell him
But not when he's just made them. Wait until another day.

JumpingJackSprat Fri 11-Jan-13 22:05:12

Can you accidentally-on-purpose trip near the cooking area while holding appropriate spices?

FreshLeticia Fri 11-Jan-13 22:06:55

Fresh home-made burgers can be lovely, but the meat must be seasoned properly. That means salt and pepper as a bare minimum. And no lumps of minging half-cooked onion or feta cheese.
The seasoning is why burgers and sausages are so popular. If Macdonalds were banned from using salt they would be bankrupt.

MmeLindor Fri 11-Jan-13 22:08:01

I don't see why anyone should eat something that tastes vile simply to save the feelings of their partner.

Even if he does cook a good strew.

I cook brilliantly (if I do say so) every night but if I cock up and it's minging, then I'd want DH to say so.

It doesn't have to be 'OMG, that is disgusting'.

'Darling, I know you like them but I have to be honest. I'm not that fond of your hockey pucks burgers. Could we look for a different recipe?'

Greensleeves Fri 11-Jan-13 22:11:21

Get him drunk, play truth or dare, tell him his burgers ming

notnowbernard Fri 11-Jan-13 22:11:30

DP makes AMAZING burgers

I can't compete and wouldn't bother trying

He adds everything: onion, mushroom, garlic, chilli... and seasons well

He's out tonight which is why I've eaten a salad with a jacket potato and a sausage. I'm so uninspired blush

LaCiccolina Fri 11-Jan-13 22:14:02

Hand press and a cook book. And a herb rack of spices and a grill pan. Advice from my dh....

AllYoursBabooshka Fri 11-Jan-13 22:23:36

Just tell him!

DH hates my cauliflower cheese, I'm glad I know I would hate to imagine him force feeding himself it just to please me.

austenozzy Fri 11-Jan-13 22:25:25

I'm a bloke, and I make/made what I thought were great burgers, but my wife didn't like them so much. I think it's where I compressed them too much and they were quite firm. I wasn't at all offended, I just tried different things to make them more to her taste.

We found that adding fried onions (not the dried ones) to them made them more moist without being crumbly. (DW's idea)

For the record, I do add other stuff - salt & pepper, italian mixed herbs and a dash of either cayenne pepper or paprika.

Jux Fri 11-Jan-13 22:25:30

I'm a dab hand in the kitchen too, but not always well enough. There was a time when dh didn't cook at all, ever, so I am grateful that he does now. Even when it's horrid; I actually couldn't eat the bolognese he made into which he had deliberately - ^deliberately - put 2 spoons of sugar shock. That was because he insisted that everything with tomato had to have sugar.

I don't like sausages so when he does them I have eggs.

Yes, he tells me if he doesn't like something, but it's usually a vegetable (ie, cauliflower, which I love; unless it's Romanescue which he thinks isn't cauliflower <sssh, don't tell>, so I have an idea he won't like it anyway, and take it on the chin. Otherwise, I generally agree with him when he doesn't like something I cook - it's either gone wrong, or it's a new thing which is frankly not very nice.

I'm not sensitive about my cooking because I have enough confidence not to worry about it. He doesn't, and his repertoire is small enough that refusing two dishes represents quite a big percentage. What he doesn't like of what I cook is probably less than 5%, so no big deal.

I think I'll just suck it up, but try to make the burgers happen just a little less often....

AllYoursBabooshka Fri 11-Jan-13 22:26:06

Btw you don't have to say you have always hated them, just say you have went off them or would like to try them with some herbs and seasoning.

Startail Fri 11-Jan-13 22:28:46

renders chicken grill steaks and other DD2 food edible

Might help DH burgers, hotter versions are available.

Thewhingingdefective Fri 11-Jan-13 22:29:48

I am not a massive burger fan but my DH and DS are. I have printed off a few different recipes to try and we have all had a go. Some are pretty good.

Pork mince mixed with a sachet of taco seasoning makes good burgers.

I like a big dollop of bacon jam on a beef burger.

Just encourage your DH to experiment a bit more.

AllYoursBabooshka Fri 11-Jan-13 22:32:29

DH has just asked what the devil bacon jam is and why he hasn't heard of it before?

Thewhingingdefective Fri 11-Jan-13 22:37:31

It is like BBQ sauce- smoked bacon fried and mixed with onion, garlic, Tabasco, brown sugar, maple syrup and cider vinegar. There are loads of recipes online. I made it for everyone for Christmas.

StuntGirl Fri 11-Jan-13 22:46:21

The issue isn't his burgers here, its his over sensitivity. Honestly, its not like you're calling him a serial killer or something, you just don't like the way he makes burgers. It's not something to be that offended by. I diplomatically make the mashed potato and gravy in our house without telling anyone else I don't like the way they make it, but I asked my partner to cook potatoes differently as I always found his way was too short and left them a bit hard and undercooked. He just did it, no one died, it was all ok.

I like to think I'm Delia Smith in the kitchen but in reality I'm probably not as good as I think I am grin

Adversecamber Fri 11-Jan-13 22:48:44

Get him watching a big burger episode of man vs food. One had cheese inside two thin patties squashed together then griddled so the cheese melted inside. Just fill your burger with a ton of relish, cheese and coleslaw.

I'm with adverse, don't complain about the burgers, just ask for lots of filling, strong tasting cheese on top etc.

MmeLindor Fri 11-Jan-13 23:05:10

Stop it with the suggestions of how to disguise the taste.

Tell him that you don't like his burgers.

What is this nonsense about 'oh he does so well to make 2 meals' - that's not doing well.

How many meals does the OP make well? A hell of a lot more.

This idea that a man gets praised for once a month doing something that his wife does daily - it makes me v cranky.

Jux Sat 12-Jan-13 00:11:44

mmeLindor, I do see what you mean, but he does cook a lot more than once a month! He just does burgers once a month!

Yes, he is hugely over-sensitive about many things and I do ride roughshod over that sensitivity sometimes as I simply don't have time for all the pussy-footing required, especially as I usually end up having to beat him with the soggy end of his torn-off arm anyway. grin

it doesn't look like there's a way to tell him without bringing about more fall-out than it's worth, though I think I'll be bigging up the "I don't much like burgers" in general over the next few weeks. Luckily, I don't.

Thanks for your help everyone.

piprabbit Sat 12-Jan-13 00:18:02

Get him watching the Food Network (Freeview channel 48). Lots of real Americans making real burgers - all adding seasonings and flavourings.

Jenda Sat 12-Jan-13 01:38:59

my dp went through a phase of adding cinnamon to his beef burgers! it was vile. there was some honesty used there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now