ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

to angry with Tesco for having a policy of not delivering infant milk!!!!

(97 Posts)
Pigsmummy Fri 11-Jan-13 17:31:03

I ordered a large shop from Tesco including Aptamil baby milk, as it was delivery I ordered all my large, bulky items and lots of baby milk, 99 x 200ml cartons, which is about 2.5 weeks worth of milk. 99 is the maximum that you can order.

My order arrived, with 11 cartons of milk, saying that the rest was out of stock. This meant that the majority of my order wasn't delivered, I called customer services to complain that I wouldn't have placed the order if they couldn't deliver the main items (i wouldnt have paid £4.50 to deliver just the other items) they apologised for not letting me know before delivery that the items wouldn't be delivers and refunded the £4.50. So far all clear until I asked when the stock would be available (I only have enough milk to last until Sunday evening) then it all got a bit weird, the store was called and the message relayed to me was that they have plenty of stock of the milk but won't supply more than 11 cartons from an online order to prevent people reselling and shipping it out if the country?!?! 11 cartons is roughly 2 days worth of milk for a 12 week old baby.

Tesco have nothing online about this 11 carton limit and don't plan on changing the policy anytime soon!?! If you go into the store you can buy more 11 cartons btw, they deny this but I did it, I bought 45 cartons from my branch when I first using the milk.

Before everyone starts on at me for FF I DID breast feed for 7 weeks, I had mastitis by day three and never got my left breast clear, had to take antibiotics which gave DD terrible diarrhoea (scary with a newborn) and after struggling with right breast only and then combination feeding I had to give it up at 7.5 weeks after mastitis kept recurring.

I am outraged that Tescos are treating their customers so badly?!?! I don't know when I will get out to a supermarket so have placed an order with Sainsburys.

Mewsical Fri 11-Jan-13 20:01:44

I've posted about this before....but I think it was Asda and their ridiculous restrictions.
When I rang up to point out that 12 cartons was not more for two days feeds I had an argument with the store manager. He said that to be fair to other customers they had to limit what they sold and it was also due to weight restrictions on the vans. I calculated approx how much coke/fanta I could order before the call just in case (limitless...and in excess of 48 litres) so asked him to explain that side of his argument.
Sent DH into said store that day to see the huge amount of milk in stock (and ask for more for the trolley)!!

Abandoned them and Ocado all the way from then on.

lightrain Fri 11-Jan-13 20:03:20

Swap to ocado, no such issues.

hazeyjane Fri 11-Jan-13 20:03:46

sympathies with the silent reflux, Olive - I think if it was too cold it would make it worse, although the effect wasn't instant (so maybe when it hit his stomach?) But if it was too warm, he wouldn't drink it, I think because his throat was maybe sore from the acid coming up. It really did have to be 'just right' (like Goldilocks!) which for him was just lukewarm.

Nyancat Fri 11-Jan-13 20:07:01

Dd had horrendous reflux and I found heating milk to warm rather than room temp helped her. The ready made stuff also seems a bit thicker than powdered made up which helped a bit though we thickened it like mad too.

edam Fri 11-Jan-13 20:09:11

That's bizarre. If they have a stupid policy of not 'allowing' orders over a certain amount, they should say so when you try to put that amount into your order, not after you've finished the order, paid, and have opened the door to the delivery man.

OlivetheotherReindeer Fri 11-Jan-13 20:16:45

Thanks hazey. I'll see if I can spot a pattern with mine.

Pseudo341 Fri 11-Jan-13 20:21:30

Try Ocado, your delivery comes straight from a warehouse rather than a store so they know how much stock they'll have in and will tell you when you're placing your order if they've got enough or not. They're much more reliable at actually delivering what you ordered than either Tesco's or Sainsbury's in my experience.

showtunesgirl Fri 11-Jan-13 20:28:47

OP, if you were getting recurring mastitis and you're mix feeding, it may well be that something still needs to be checked out on the BF side. Is there anyone you can talk to / get it checked out so that you don't run the risk of getting sick again?

ConferencePear Fri 11-Jan-13 20:35:29

I think the people who mentioned China probably have it right. I heard a piece on the radio the other day about a shortage of baby milk in Australia and New Zealand because the Chinese are buying it in large quantities because they don't trust their own.

ceeveebee Fri 11-Jan-13 20:41:45

I used to get about 30 a week for my twins - only used them for one feed each a day and Ocado have never let me down

I have seen 1 litre bottles available since.

Softlysoftly Fri 11-Jan-13 20:56:55

Can't help about tesco being arses but did want to warn you DD2 was bf with the odd as aptamil carton if I was out.

Swapped her bed feed to the carton. Recently thought as I'll be back to work soon I'll be needing me ffs so moved to powder. She will not touch it! It actually smells rank unlike the cartons so I can't blame her but it has made the decision more difficult as I don't want to spend £100+ on milk a month.

Softlysoftly Fri 11-Jan-13 20:57:35

*More ff not me

Pigsmummy Fri 11-Jan-13 21:48:59

Softlysoftly i have been warned that not all babies willtake to the powder but liked the cartons, so for now sticking with that option. If blaaaady Tesco's delivers it! Will stock up for the next two weeks.

PurpleStorm Fri 11-Jan-13 21:55:26

Agree that they should have warned you about the limit on the number of cartons they'll deliver.

Even if it's in the terms and conditions small print that they might limit the number if you try to order too many of any one item, you'd think it'd be possible for them to set up the web-page so that it alerted customers to this policy if they tried ordering 99 cartons of baby milk / bottles of Fanta / whatever.

We've certainly bought more than 11 cartons of baby milk at once from Tesco.

And re 1 litre bottles - I've seen both Aptimil and Cow & Gate first milk in one litre bottles. Larger supermarkets are the best place to look - a lot of the smaller supermarkets near me just have the small cartons of first milk. The Cow & Gate 1 litre bottles keep for 48 hrs in the fridge once opened, so I'd guess the Aptimil ones do as well.

bumperella Fri 11-Jan-13 22:19:40

I've ordered loads of cartons in the past at once from tesco delivery, and never had this problem.
Maybe the indicvisula store manager has some problem with ff?

lalabaloo Fri 11-Jan-13 22:32:19

I regularly buy more than 11 cartons in one go at Tesco, I've never had a problem. If its a policy then its not a very well enforced one

Bingdweller Fri 11-Jan-13 23:25:05

pigsmummy no wonder they like the cartons - have you tasted how sweet they are??? Not a criticism of you at all BTW, I fed them to my own kids too but switched them to the powdered variety and stopped the cartons when I realised about the sweetness.

Think it's to do with them being heat treated - it changes the consistency and makes the milk taste more concentrated.

gimmecakeandcandy Fri 11-Jan-13 23:32:47

Why you stopped bf is your choice but please do not give misinformation out that women need to stop from recurring mastitis as they do not and diorreha in baby due to antibiotics is normal and the benefits of breast milk outweigh the runny poo. It is misinformation like this that gives women, well, the wrong info. I had recurring mastitis so I know from experience and also through helping others bf that you can carry on. You stopped that is fine, but to say you had to is not correct.

PeazlyPops Fri 11-Jan-13 23:41:27

I've always used the ready made formula for DS, it's just so much easier than powder. We get through just over a 2ltr bottle a day and Ocado are the most reliable for it.

Sainsburys online are often out of stock on delivery day and just turn up with a couple of bottles but Ocado have never let us down.

PeazlyPops Fri 11-Jan-13 23:44:43

That should be 1ltr, not 2ltr!

Another poster said that the 1ltr bottles are for follow on milk only, this isn't the case with SMA first stage milk, I've been buying it for the past 9 months, it's widely available.

Pigsmummy Sat 12-Jan-13 06:25:35

gimmecakeandcandy I just knew that someone would have a go at me about my not bf. I am not giving misinformation, In my post I clearly said that I DID breastfeed for over seven weeks and mastitis started on day three. it was recurring, I had issues with left breast, still do, trying to feed with right only at times. I tell you what, why not give me your address and I will see if I can send you my medical notes? Oh no hang on a minute it is nothing to do with you is it,

Winniepooh23 Sat 12-Jan-13 07:42:32

gimmecakeandcandy will give you a biscuit instead. Will that do. We don't need another boob is best thread pet. Take yourself back off to one of them. Formula feeding mums are entitled to raise issues too. How patronising you sound and how stupid do you think other women are, that they might find the original post either misleading or a definitive position. I suspect women who are considering their options or choices with mastitis might look a little further into the subject before making a decision. You, my friend, were having a smug sneaky boast or a pop at the OP.

gimmecakeandcandy Sat 12-Jan-13 08:40:17

So nobody can say the info you give is incorrect? Don't be ridiculous. I am merely pointing out what you said was inaccurate, if you take anything else from that that is your defensiveness talking.

BertieBotts Sat 12-Jan-13 08:58:36

OP starlight is right, it sounds like the information you may have been given is incorrect, if you do want any help and support with continuing/increasing breastfeeding do pop over to the feeding board as the posters there are fab and very well informed. Am also a bit suspicious that she's recommending aptamil at room temperature, I know of course that breastfeeding advisors do sometimes need to advise formula but to advise a particular brand is very bad practice. Also, breast milk doesn't come out at room temperature, but body temperature! Still, I'd stick with room temp if your baby likes it, saves hassle anyway. But yes - I'm not sure about this advisor you've seen so just be aware there is other help and support if you want it, if you don't that's fine too.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now