to wonder why some women don't wear make-up

(609 Posts)
MeganCherry Fri 11-Jan-13 16:00:33

I'm sure I will get flamed for this but -

I don't mean trowel it on every morning, 3 lots of foundations, eyeshadow, eyeliner etc.

I have quite good skin, so on a usual day I'll wear - mascara and a lipstick/glass. On a bad day I'll probably wear concealer too.

I think make up is about enhancing your features and making the best of them. Me after a sleepless night I look like a zombie, add some concealer and I look like a human being again.

I like to wear make up for me and not to impress my husband or friends or strangers. I just know that I look better when I'm wearing it.

thebody Fri 11-Jan-13 16:16:41

Personally I wouldn't be seen dead without slap on but each to their own.

Very funny to read some posters describing themselves as 'very pretty' though.. They must be hilarious to know in real life.

HecatePropolos Fri 11-Jan-13 16:16:44

Oh god, I didn't realise we HAD to! grin

I won't paint myself on daily basis. I do succumb to pressure to paint myself if I'm going somewhere special though, or if someone is coming round who I don't know very well hmm less about decorating myself and more about some sort of armour I think wink

Have you SEEN some of the ways in which women decorate themselves throughout the world? No thanks. Not for me.

I like my face the way it is, and am happy with my au natrel look.

There's a whole wide world of choice out there beyond your experiences; is it that inconceivable to you that others prefer things differently?

nickelbabe Fri 11-Jan-13 16:17:03

thank you Mardy grin

Tee2072 Fri 11-Jan-13 16:17:07

Also, what publication is this for? Just so I can look for the article...

Cortana Fri 11-Jan-13 16:17:24

You look lovely nickelbabe.

Greige Fri 11-Jan-13 16:17:37

Because they don't want to.

Some people don't need to.

I have always had great skin, it has never needed paint slathered over it to look smooth. I also have quite dramatic colouring - very pale skin with dark eyes, brows and lashes.

I don't need chemical enhancement.

I'm sure it's very nice that you feel better wearing makeup. Some women don't.

Until I see men wearing makeup every day, I'll continue to exercise my right to do whatever the fuck I want.

Because I really can't be arsed.

I do on special occasions, but since week days aren't special occasions I don't bother.

MardyBra Fri 11-Jan-13 16:17:45
HecatePropolos Fri 11-Jan-13 16:17:52

thebody - I'm not pretty.

I have a face like a bulldog sucking piss off a nettle, frankly.

who was it who said about make up that if you're pretty you don't need it and if you're ugly, it ain't going to help grin

Midlifecrisisarefun Fri 11-Jan-13 16:18:01

I don't wear it because:
I never got into the habit when I was younger
I don't like the feeling on my face
I can't afford it
I don't look like me with it on
I am terrible at putting it on..end up looking like a clown! I have no idea what I'm doing grin
I feel fake
By the way I am not attractive and avoid mirrors.

Mutt Fri 11-Jan-13 16:18:18

I see this is your first post.

Did you actually register with MN in order to ask this totally vacuous question?

Or are you a journo writing a dull article in a dull magazine?

Or did you namechange so that no-one realises you have so much time on your hands?

Permisson Fri 11-Jan-13 16:18:24

Can't be bothered... Putting it on or taking it off. But I must say this is a recent development, since I became the mother of two under three. Maybe once they're at university a bit bigger I'll did it out again.

Do love a bit of black eyeliner..

CailinDana Fri 11-Jan-13 16:18:24

I don't really "get" makeup. I've worn it, but I can't see the attraction. It's a pain to put on, feels weird, and a pain to take off. I can't be bothered with it.

nickelbabe Fri 11-Jan-13 16:18:58

thank you Cortana smile

woozlebear Fri 11-Jan-13 16:19:20

I was trying to avoid putting my feminist hat on because I tend to get grumpy when I do but yes, also because I tend to subscribe to the viewpoint that if the boys aren't expected to do something it's a sh*t idea and I immediately want to do the complete opposite.

Pascha Fri 11-Jan-13 16:20:51

I just can't be arsed. My husband doesn't care if I do or don't wear makeup, my toddler son doesn't know the difference. My 6-day old son only has eyes for my boobs. It would be a total waste of money, time and effort.

YesAnastasia Fri 11-Jan-13 16:21:09

When I worked full time, I wore quite a lot every day. Then I got pregnant. Can't be bothered now.

Now I only bother when I go out and even then I don't like to, in case DH wants to have sex with me hmm

TessTing123 Fri 11-Jan-13 16:21:17

I hardly know anyone who wears makeup on a daily basis. it's a bit old fashioned isn't it? Nothing wrong with that, but makes me think of my old mum "putting her face on". Not for me.

Because I don't have time in the morning

Because I can't afford make up

Because I'm really cack handed & end up looking lopsided

Because why polish a turd grin

Because I can't be arsed

Because there are more important things to worry about.

Hope this helps!

MardyBra Fri 11-Jan-13 16:21:56
happygolurky Fri 11-Jan-13 16:22:05

Really? Why do people go unicycling? Swinging? Play bassoon? Eat horsemeat? I don't do any of them things but I don't give a monkeys chuff why anyone else would or wouldn't.

MardyBra Fri 11-Jan-13 16:22:57

Ooh Pascha. I didn't know you had a new baby. Congratulations.

Scarfo Fri 11-Jan-13 16:23:30

I can't be arsed. I brush my hair and teeth and get dressed in the morning, that's enough excitement for me.

Plus, I can only see my face if I look in a mirror, couldn't care a less what the rest of the world thinks.

Goldenbear Fri 11-Jan-13 16:23:44

As a side point, I don't agree that 'naturally pretty' always equates to those with dark eyelashes, dark eyes and olive skin. Some people are naturally pretty even with different colouring and won't need make up either. Some people are pretty others are not quite so (not that it matters) but IMO that has nothing to do with possessing darker colouring or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now