to wonder why some women don't wear make-up

(609 Posts)
MeganCherry Fri 11-Jan-13 16:00:33

I'm sure I will get flamed for this but -

I don't mean trowel it on every morning, 3 lots of foundations, eyeshadow, eyeliner etc.

I have quite good skin, so on a usual day I'll wear - mascara and a lipstick/glass. On a bad day I'll probably wear concealer too.

I think make up is about enhancing your features and making the best of them. Me after a sleepless night I look like a zombie, add some concealer and I look like a human being again.

I like to wear make up for me and not to impress my husband or friends or strangers. I just know that I look better when I'm wearing it.

LalyRawr Fri 11-Jan-13 16:01:21

Cause they don't want to.

BigStickBIWI Fri 11-Jan-13 16:01:32

Why should I?

Why do I need it?

I look lovely just as I am. [modest]

JugsMcGee Fri 11-Jan-13 16:01:37

Because they don't want to? Looks aren't everything.

HeadFairy Fri 11-Jan-13 16:01:41

Quite possibly because they don't give a stuff about looking better. Or they are already stunning. Or a combination of both.

Mutt Fri 11-Jan-13 16:02:22

What a stupid question.

For the same reason some women do like to trowel it on.

Because it's their choice.

I look better with make up on but I cannot be arsed to wear it every day. I don't think I scare too many small children though.

starshaker Fri 11-Jan-13 16:03:21

Cos no amount of make up will make me look good. I will just look pathetic for even trying.

LoopsInHoops Fri 11-Jan-13 16:03:44

Because it isn't mandatory?

florilegia Fri 11-Jan-13 16:03:48

I hardly ever wear make-up. I'm not naturally beautiful or anything (quite the opposite!): it's a 50-50 spilt between not being very interested in make-up, and not being very good at putting it on. Mind you, I don't think I've blow-dried my hair in the last 10 years, so I'm probably just a scruff! grin

IneedAgoldenNickname Fri 11-Jan-13 16:03:53

Because if rather have an extra 10 mins in bed.
Because I have better things to spend my money on.
Because it's none of your business.
Plus I've noticed that my friends who have always worn lots of makeup now look older than me, although some of them aren't. Could just be a coincidence though.

TeaBrick Fri 11-Jan-13 16:03:59

It's all subjective though isn't it? Some people might think you look like shit with your minimal make up, and you'd look better with false eyelashes and fake tan.

And I know I look better and have better skin because I don't wear it!
I'm mid 40's and very rarely wear make up.
I'll admit I'm naturally pretty with dark long eyelashes and olive skin so for me it's not necessary.
When I do wear it (which I do if I go out for an evening) I feel a bit like a clown. And... the crap that's on the cotton wool when I remove it is revolting! I wear very little when I go out by the way.
Everyone says I don't need it - but if I wore it everyday that's what people would be used to and I would look odd without it.
I'm very luck, I know that!

BagCat Fri 11-Jan-13 16:05:57

YABU. Very.

Anniegetyourgun Fri 11-Jan-13 16:06:06

Why the fuck should they?

MrsWolowitz Fri 11-Jan-13 16:06:19

YABU as its really none of your concern.

I say that as someone who rarely leaves the house without make-up, has nail extenstions and loves clothes always dresses nicely.

its important to me but I understand that its not important to others.

manicbmc Fri 11-Jan-13 16:06:21

It's called 'having a choice'. Also being an individual.

Some days I wear make up. Some days I don't. It is no one's business but mine and I can't say I have ever looked at someone else and thought 'oooh she could do with a bit of foundation and lippy' - ever in my life.

Because I'm crap at applying it and end up looking like a clown.
Because most of it makes my skin itchy.
Because I'd rather spend my money on luxuries such as food.

fishcalledwonder Fri 11-Jan-13 16:07:10

I am blonde, and without make up I look like I have no eyebrows or eyelashes. I also have very dark circles under my eyes that I cover unsuccessfully . Friends of mine with dark eyelashes and eyebrows look the same with or without make up, so rarely bother.

Also, some people hate the feel of it on their face or have very sensitive skin.

PeazlyPops Fri 11-Jan-13 16:07:34

It's personal choice. I don't understand why anyone would want to wear make up everyday.

Narked Fri 11-Jan-13 16:07:35

Does you DH wear makeup? Why not? Doesn't he feel the need to enhance his features and make the best of them?

HighJinx Fri 11-Jan-13 16:08:10

Do you normally consider it strange or confusing when others don't do exactly as you choose to?

Who made you the benchmark for all that makes women look good?

mrsXsweet Fri 11-Jan-13 16:08:53

I don't wear it day to day because I'm terrible at applying it. The base always ends up making my skin look dry, mascara (regardless of any marketing claims) always ends up in dark circles under my eyes and lipstick/gloss disappears within 5 minutes.
I probably should start to wear it more regularly particularly as I have been told when I wear it that I 'scrub up well'.

HeathRobinson Fri 11-Jan-13 16:09:16

Because I don't need it. smile

I dont wear it because I have 4 daughters and I dont want the example I set them to be "your real, natural face isnt good enough to be seen in public"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now