Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think dressing a baby in a babygro isn't trampy or lazy?

(82 Posts)
WhatchuTalkinBoutPhyllis Fri 11-Jan-13 15:20:24

Apparently so according to a friends nan.

Because you wouldn't go out in your pj's, so why would you take your baby out in theirs?

Actually I would if I could

bluebiscuit Fri 11-Jan-13 17:11:44

Dressing a baby in a babygro is sensible. The main thing about them is that they don't have a waistband. I think it is by far the most comfortable item for a baby to wear.

LaCiccolina Fri 11-Jan-13 17:14:03

It was said by someone's NAN. Seriously. Take it as an 'in my day' comment and file under BIN.

smile

needtogetoffsofa Fri 11-Jan-13 17:18:43

ooh was just thinking about this as I,ve just seen a picture in a magazine of beautiful twin girls lying in a washing basket! They are wearing baby grows and just look so gorgeous, I thought how lovely to see their natural beauty and not frilly clothes - made me broody (I'm 54!)

Geekster Fri 11-Jan-13 17:47:23

YANBU my dd lived in them until she was around four months old and went to all the baby groups in them, she was warm and comfy, easy to change her nappy without her getting too cold, no need to faff around changing her for her naps. When she was poorly a month or so ago at nine months old she lived in them again for week. I'm all for practical clothes now she is crawling I dress her in trousers and jumpers, dresses would be no good for crawling in. Someone at our baby group always has their dd dressed in fancy frilly dresses, each to their own but it's so impractical.

specialsubject Fri 11-Jan-13 17:51:02

that's what babies wear because they sleep lots. Once they start crawling, or maybe toddling, they get dressed. Major lifechange.

and how can a baby be 'trampy' or 'lazy'?

DD2 is 1 today and one of the many things I'm feeling emotional about is the fact that I can't really get away with taking her out in a babygro anymore. She only wears tops and leggings though so not too much of a struggle. I can't think of anything more practical and comfy.

CreamOfTomatoSoup Fri 11-Jan-13 17:55:32

I had a conversation with someone about this today. She scoffed about a 1 year old she saw out and about wearing a sleepsuit. She said it was even worse because it was unisex and you couldn't even tell what sex it was!

I'm not sure why that's a thing!

WilsonFrickett Fri 11-Jan-13 17:58:11

Oh YANBU. DS was in them till the ones people bought us were outgrown for 6 months. Lovely and comfy, no wee draughts, snuggly for him and me, easy to change a nappy. Lovely. <wistful>

Fairylea Fri 11-Jan-13 18:04:41

I find it really interesting reading this as the very same discussion was on netmums ages ago and the majority there seemed to see gro's as pjs and also wouldn't put their ds in joggers!! (Why not? They are warm and comfortable!)

I love baby sleepsuits! Babies are babies, they should be primarily comfortable and warm smile ... and cute too smile

TrazzleMISTLEtoes Fri 11-Jan-13 18:07:54

Babygros all the way.

Maryz Cote D'Ivoire Fri 11-Jan-13 18:08:52

It depends on the baby.

ds1 wore lovely clothes, gifts from friends. I had the time to actually wash them (and even ironed them occasionally).

dd (two years later) had pretty dresses etc - my mum insisted on ironing them for me.

ds2 (18 months after that) wore babygros until he was able to walk (I had given up by then, and lived in squalor). And I used to cut off the feet when they got too small too!

elizaregina Fri 11-Jan-13 18:15:38

Id say its the most practical thing for baby to be in, what does nan want? jeans and a t ?

Fairylea Fri 11-Jan-13 18:16:42

Maryz I cut the feet off too ! smile

IceNoSlice Fri 11-Jan-13 18:20:36

Mine wears a baby gro every day, pretty much. It's so chilly at the moment, I dress him in vest, socks, baby gro then pop some dungarees and a zip up jumper on top if we are going out (plus the pram suit for walks). Or maybe we just have a cold house confused

FoofFighter Fri 11-Jan-13 18:23:54

Shops call them sleepsuits because they want you to think they are only for night-times and then go on to spend more with them on "day-time" outfits wink

I love babygros, especially white terrytowelling ones, sadly not something that's easy to find these days though, if anyone knows where to buy them please tell me!

I love babygros BUT I fail miserably at getting the bottom poppers done up right first time.

Foof Mothercare had them last time I was in.

TheFallenNinja Fri 11-Jan-13 18:55:58

Some Nans have overly romanticised memories of their own motherhood experiences coupled with an inability to keep their opinions to themselves. smile

IceNoSlice Fri 11-Jan-13 19:06:10

CommanderShepard I'm with you on that. Pesky little blighted, those poppers.

YANBU I kept mine in babygros for aaaaages and once they were wearing 'real' cloths at 12+ months I would still sometimes jsut take them out in babygros if I felt like it

Pigsmummy Fri 11-Jan-13 19:21:02

I don't use anything with a waistband due to umbilical hernia so babygrow/ sleep suit all the way! Sometimes with a nice dress over the top.

YorkshireDeb Fri 11-Jan-13 19:34:34

The first friend to have a baby in my social circle to keep them in babygros as long as possible - they get into clothes quickly enough as it is & once they're in them it lasts forever. Babies look so cute & cuddly in babygros anyway. And they're significantly easier to get a newborn into & out of. X

PeazlyPops Fri 11-Jan-13 23:49:54

foof - Mothercare have them. They are so cute and snuggly, I prefer them for DS to sleep in as they are warmer too.

TheDetective Sat 12-Jan-13 00:16:09

I have a 7 week old. He has some absolutely gorgeous babygrows! I have little cardigans to match. He looks lovely when we take him out, in his babygrows! Much cuter than jeans, or other grown up type stuff! If he wears an 'outfit' it is soft dungarees, or a romper (basically a babygrow minus feet!!). He will be like this for quite some time yet.

Hell, I don't even change his grow unless it's dirty. He wore his last one from 6am yesterday morning (puke incident!) til 3pm today (wee incident!). Why would you make more work for yourself when you can be enjoying your baby!!!!

Disappearing Sat 12-Jan-13 00:18:45

Wow DameFanny - you've just explained one of life's great mysteries for me - i.e. why do baby clothes often have several actual functional pockets, c.w. button/popper fastenings, heavy seams etc. when the baby involved is so young it barely knows up from down -

The only point of putting babies in jeans and combats is to have a spare pocket for your door key

Now it all makes sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now