to think 'posh' and 'rich' are two completely different things?

(115 Posts)
Floogel Fri 11-Jan-13 11:48:43

being wealthy does not make you posh, IMO

Viviennemary Fri 11-Jan-13 22:09:19

What exactly is rich by MN standards. Just wondering. grin

Arisbottle Fri 11-Jan-13 22:11:42

No idea, we are well of in the real world, properly poor little church mice by MN standards!

totallyfrazzled Fri 11-Jan-13 23:30:31

Different things to different people....You can def be posh but broke, but being rich does not make you posh. If you speak 'posh' then most people who don't, will consider you posh!

doyouwantfrieswiththat Fri 11-Jan-13 23:48:46

I've always figured that if you're truly posh you don't care what anyone thinks, toffs & proles have a lot in common that way, it's only the middle classes that are angst ridden about it.

Morloth Sat 12-Jan-13 00:23:38

MN is a bit mental about most things wealth Viviennemary, you must have noticed that if you are not on the breadline then actually having any sort of problem is not allowed because there are many people worse off then you.

DH is a banker and I work in the mining industry, so our gains are pretty ill gotten as well by lefty standards, and to make it worse, we are not even sorry. grin

Rich, but definitely not posh - that can make people a bit crazy as well. We are very much new money, which I find works just as well as old money. wink

Viviennemary Sat 12-Jan-13 00:45:21

A girl I was friends with at school always had fish knives and forks when they had fish and special butter knives for the butter. I thought they were frightfully posh but they weren't really any better off than we were which was just average. But much posher. I was angst ridden about it. grin

seeker Sat 12-Jan-13 07:59:21

But fish knives are fraightfully common!

Morloth Sat 12-Jan-13 08:00:34

I don't think I had ever even heard of fish knives before coming on MN maybe I am posh after all...

seeker Sat 12-Jan-13 08:02:42

"I am thankful to say I have never seen a spade" grin

Morloth Sat 12-Jan-13 08:06:39

I suspect I approach the lack of fish knives from the opposite end of the spectrum.

Don't get many fish where I come from.

Twattybollocks Sat 12-Jan-13 10:08:43

Well I'm definately rich, but I'm as common as muck if that helps. I do have good manners and high moral standards, but still very much working class!

ceres Sat 12-Jan-13 11:42:13

i HATE the word posh.

Loveweekends10 Sat 12-Jan-13 12:00:41

Obviously.

Pandemoniaa Sat 12-Jan-13 12:03:54

The word "posh" is so subjective that it has virtually no value in determining anything. I've been accused of being "posh" on the basis of little more than my disinterest in reality TV. It has nothing at all to do with how much money you have.

Viviennemary Sat 12-Jan-13 12:34:09

So that proves my point that posh is only a matter of opinion. grin But so maybe is rich. Can't believe people on here who think they're quite hard up on £100K plus per year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now