to think 'posh' and 'rich' are two completely different things?

(115 Posts)
Floogel Fri 11-Jan-13 11:48:43

being wealthy does not make you posh, IMO

LoopsInHoops Fri 11-Jan-13 15:14:21

Anyone else think we're providing fodder for The Wright Stuff? hmm

curryeater Fri 11-Jan-13 15:22:16

posh - rich + time (a lot of time)

Floogel Fri 11-Jan-13 15:30:32

What is the Wright Stuff?!

But posh doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with snobbish.

seeker Fri 11-Jan-13 15:41:21

indeed not- snobbishness is a very lower middle class thing. Hyacinth Bucket is a classic snob.

seeker Fri 11-Jan-13 15:42:33

It was Michael Hesletine who said the thing about being "the sort of person who buys his own furniture"

Labootin Fri 11-Jan-13 15:44:02

Irrc The Wrightstuff is a piss poor programme full of desperately gurning z listers attempting to be provocative and amusing

it fails dismally on both counts

GregBishopsBottomBitch Fri 11-Jan-13 15:45:16

Labootin Theres something about Matthew Wright that really annoys me, not sure what it is.

GregBishopsBottomBitch Fri 11-Jan-13 15:46:37

Seeker She acts posh, as im sure others do aswell, some are posh, some fake it.

beckhamz Fri 11-Jan-13 15:49:36

I sound posh but I'm really middle-middle.

It's great, speaking properly gets you so much further than a regional accent does.

ComposHat Fri 11-Jan-13 15:53:25

It was Michael Hesletine who said the thing about being "the sort of person who buys his own furniture

I am pretty sure it was Alan Clark who said it about Michael Heseltine whom he considered to be new money.

I really don't buy the whole poor but posh sctick 99% they have extrodinary assets in terms of land and property which they don't want to sell. No one makes them live in these vast stately piles crumbling around them. they could sell up and live in a modest home in relative comfort. but no their absurd moral code condemns them and their children to live beyond their means.

it is not poverty in the sense that anyone who was truly poor would understand.

Dryjuice25 Fri 11-Jan-13 16:14:28

David Mitchel= Posh
Ashley Cole= Rich
Kerry Katona= Chav

Me, Not rich,not poor but I would'nt call myself a chav though. Whats a chav? Tulisa? <<<< although I refuse to be a "lady" >>>>

Dryjuice25 Fri 11-Jan-13 16:20:36

Correction= I am poor for now, on benefit! Am I a chav then? I went to private school and got a degree though!

seeker Fri 11-Jan-13 16:42:28

"Seeker She acts posh, as im sure others do aswell, some are posh, some fake it"

No she doesn't. She thinks she does. That's the point!

stopgap Fri 11-Jan-13 16:49:56

You only have to walk round Badminton, any country fair etc. to see that there are two different kinds of posh: the ones bedecked in Hermes and bling, and the ones who look like Helena Bonham-Carter on a less-groomed day. I think it's a misnomer to suggest that all posh people drive old bangers and wear mud-splattered clothes. That Tara Palmer-Tompkinson girl doesn't exactly fly under the radar with cheapo clothes, does she?

In America, I would say that the "posh" are no different to the "posh" in England. My friend's grandfather (shipping magnate) wears Timex watches, and another friend's parents (famous lawyer, WASP-y background) delight in gifting one another $5 presents for birthdays and living in a dusty old house with six-toed cats.

wordfactory Fri 11-Jan-13 17:06:10

Quite stop.

The idea that the rich posh all drive battered landrovers is absolutely not true.

The idea that the rich posh all live in the country is also untrue.

Bonsoir Fri 11-Jan-13 17:44:13

I went to some open days at English boarding schools last year, with a friend from NY and two Parisians. My party were shock shock shock at the large expensive new cars in the car park, and the badly casually dressed families that emerged from them.

mummysmellsofsick Fri 11-Jan-13 21:02:43

dryjuice David Mitchell isn't posh, he's middle class. Not even 'upper middle class' I'd say. I've met a couple of people who describe themselves as 'upper middle class' and their families both had castles/ estates covering entire villages, and were at Eton. I'd call them posh, they'd call themselves 'upper middle class'

Arisbottle Fri 11-Jan-13 21:06:01

I do hope they are different, we are quite well off but dirt common. I like it that way

Arisbottle Fri 11-Jan-13 21:06:40

Compared to me even lower middle class is quite posh grin

HelpOneAnother Fri 11-Jan-13 21:16:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Arisbottle Fri 11-Jan-13 21:19:12

I suspect I am a chav ( although it is a vile term but that is how you lot would see me) , I like the fact that it riles people so much to seeme enjoying sparkly things.

mummysmellsofsick Fri 11-Jan-13 21:21:24

My family background is very working class but I seem to mix with posh people fairly often for work. My accent gets a bit posher when I do. I've always found the posher the person, the less common they make you feel. Really good manners are wonderful for putting one at ease wink

catgirl1976 Fri 11-Jan-13 21:22:22

YANBU

Of course not

Totally different

Morloth Fri 11-Jan-13 21:23:57

YANBU, we are rich (certainly by MN standards wink. But we are bogans.

I quite like being a CUB. Cashed Up Bogan.

Best of both worlds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now