Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to ask for your help in finding a car with large back seat

(35 Posts)
fixarupa Fri 11-Jan-13 11:38:32

I hate to bore you all with this but really would appreciate some helpful suggestions. I need to buy a different car to squeeze in 2 toddler car seats and still have room for a leggy teen in the middle. Just had a quick scan on google and all I can find is a load of men debating the uncoolness of mpvs versus people carriers blah blah blah, boring and irelevant. I don't give a fig for coolness or street cred, just want a big enough car . (second hand, not too expensive).
I am sure some of you have some experience of the best cars if you too have a similar shaped family. I would really love someone to say "this car is perfect for your needs!" Not asking much I know!
Ta

DamnBamboo Fri 11-Jan-13 15:04:42

Citroen C4 grand picasso

Loadsa room

maddening Fri 11-Jan-13 15:04:09

We got a vauxhall zafira 8 years old for 2.5k - am probably going to find out I've been ripped off now smile

amck5700 Fri 11-Jan-13 14:21:46

The other thing about the scenic and maybe some of the other mpvs as opposed to salloon or estate cars is that the floor are in the back is flat rather than having the raised bit in the middle that the person on the middle seat has to put one foot on either side of - if you are regularly carrying 3 people on a long distance it makes it far more comfortable.

Another option for you might be an Octavia - often used as taxis becasue of their roominess and reliability. We have a lovely estate one which fits 3 decent sized adults in the back but never tried car seats as we are now past all that smile

lagoonhaze Fri 11-Jan-13 14:18:54

I have a 02 plate scenic (older style) fits a erf car seat and hbb and teenager in middle.

I liked the space in the multipa we tried.

jojane Fri 11-Jan-13 14:10:14

We have a mondeo, fits 1 baby seat, 1 stage 2 and a high back booster. Has also fitted 2 stage 2 and an adult. We currently have 2 high back boosters and a stage 2 seat. Loads of boot space

Groovee Uruguay Fri 11-Jan-13 14:06:08

We had a picasso for 8 years when the children were small and it was fab. We replaced it because it had become too big and I needed something easier to drive when I have bad pain days.

ceebie Fri 11-Jan-13 14:03:32

We've recently bought a 2008 Renault Grand Scenic (approx £5k from a proper Renault dealer). It has 3 separate seats in the back - fits 2 car seats with my husband in the middle to deal with car-sick children - he claims to have more space there than he did in the front seat of our old car!!! The Grand Scenic is slightly longer than the Scenic to accommodate 2 extra seats in the third row, which fold down so that you have a really spacious boot (I can fit 2 buggys and the shopping).

Fords are lovely to drive but more expensive - i did look at the C-Max, but even that was pricier - no hope of affording the S-Max for us!

Startail Fri 11-Jan-13 13:39:29

My DDad loves his SMax too!

I know a focus is too small, I've been stuck between a booster and a car seat in ours. It's very uncomfortable, no way wouldn't three DCs fight.

New estate is great if you have two teens, they've nicked a tiny bit off the boot so there is adult leg room in the back.

chipping I thought that grin
Our Smax is great I've been in the middle and in the very back and it's roomy, easy to drive and park as well.

Summerblaze Fri 11-Jan-13 13:27:47

Another here for the picasso. We actually have the 7 seater picasso but only use the extra seats occasionally. The back seat fits in 3 car seats easily. We do have the diesel though as the petrol kind eats petrol.

Christmasberry Fri 11-Jan-13 13:24:29

S max fits 3 toddler seats in the back

DoubleMum Fri 11-Jan-13 13:22:56

The Touran fits a car seat and 2 booster seats in the back, has a massive boot/2 extra seats.

Dinosaurdrip Fri 11-Jan-13 13:00:45

We had this conundrum too, needed a car that would fit a booster, a stage 2 and a stage one car seat also. We have just bought an 07 renault scenic. Has a massive boot, feels huge inside with loads of hidden compartments and loads of leg room! I love it!

specialsubject Fri 11-Jan-13 12:58:25

another vote for a Mondeo hatch or estate - yes, they are still making them. If over 60k miles make sure the cam belt has been done and check the clutch is ok as that is £££ if it goes. 1.8 good, 2.0 bit thirsty, diesel a bad idea. Good to drive on long journeys without the instability of a people move, loads of luggage space, good space in the front too for tall adults.

estate is not that much bigger (although you need to be careful in some supermarket car parks as it is a little longer than some spaces - choose your spot so you can hang the tail over the raised bit they put between some rows) and has the advantage that you can put the buggy in the back with lots of other stuff, without folding down any seats. Plenty of room for three in the back (if you go up to 4 kids then it is a different game I suppose). Oh, and three proper rear belts, not a lap belt.

no cool, no street cred - hence cheap to fix and doesn't get nicked. Love 'em.

ConferencePear Fri 11-Jan-13 12:54:55

I love my Citroen Picasso. Economical, comfortable driving position, three full size seats in the back and two more if you really need them in the boot.

landofsoapandglory Fri 11-Jan-13 12:51:28

I agree with Xsara Picasso. We had a 1.6 diesel, it was really, really economical and so, so comfy. You can take the back seats out, individually, too so it is very verasatile.

I miss that car.

DorisIsWaiting Fri 11-Jan-13 12:40:24

Kia sedona has 3 seperate seats along the middle row and then 2 spare in the boot.

Tbh if it's space for the teen you need 3 seperate seats as even cars like the old cmax were only 2.5 along the back row (not ideal for anyone).

PukeCatcher Fri 11-Jan-13 12:26:26

Yep, Xsara Picasso, there's 3 full size seats in the back and 2 armchairs in the front!

Theas18 Fri 11-Jan-13 12:23:05

Smax. Lovely car !

amck5700 Fri 11-Jan-13 12:16:03

Renault scenic definitely takes 3 car seats in it. and is comfprtable for space with two plus an adult in the back.

izzyishappilybusy Fri 11-Jan-13 12:08:36

Have the 1.9 diesel is nippy and with 3 seats in front roomy

izzyishappilybusy Fri 11-Jan-13 12:07:42

Multipla - have one ugly as hell but sssssooooo practical

We've had volvo estates. a mercedes E class estate, and a BMW estate in recent years. We are beyond the carseat stage now, but all of the above have accomodated three tall (around 6 foot) teenagers, and have had three proper three-point seatbelts, so I imagine would easily accomodate two carseats and a leggy teen.

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Fri 11-Jan-13 12:03:42

You tart!!

grin

megandraper Fri 11-Jan-13 12:02:07

Second the xsara picasso option. we have one (3 full-size childseats across the back seat). Before baby no. 3, I used to sit in the middle of the backseat between 2 childseats sometimes, and always had plenty of room.

Our picasso (5 years old) has not broken down yet. Although this week the exhaust fell off. (But the MOT warned DH it was loose, so he should have had it fixed then, really).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now