to not understand why strapless wedding dresses are so popular?

(163 Posts)
Floogel Fri 11-Jan-13 11:28:45

I just think that on lots of people they are not the most flattering style. Yes they do look great on some people, but I don't get why 99% of the styles are strapless?

RobinSparkles Fri 11-Jan-13 11:55:28

I had a strapless one and I regret it now. I did actually suit it very well as I have nice shoulders and I am slim but I have seen so many dresses that are similar now, I wish I had gone for something different.

TheBrideofMucky Fri 11-Jan-13 11:58:30

This is mine. It's not very demure but we aren't marrying in church and have been together years and years and have two young children so everyone in attendance already knows I'm not virginal. grin

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=maggie+sottero+penny&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=P_7vUMifMIGm0QX8-YGQDQ&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=320&bih=416#i=2

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 11-Jan-13 12:00:27

They look lovely on some but they're just so ubiquitous these days.

TheBrideofMucky Fri 11-Jan-13 12:05:43

I expect it's going to be a generational thing. My mum kept her wedding dress just in case I wanted to wear it. We opened the box recently and fell about, it's a huge thing with flouncy sleeves and embroidered flowers. Luckily I don't have daughters as they will definitely feel the same about mine in twenty years. grin

Doyouhearthepeoplesing Fri 11-Jan-13 12:07:08

I don't know if it is a generational thing. Mine is very similar to my mums. Very classical design really.

KittyBreadfan Fri 11-Jan-13 12:07:12

YANBU, its actually difficult to find a wedding dress with straps or sleeves at the moment! My first wedding dress was strapless and I looked awful, I'm short with huge boobs and it just didn't look right, plus I spent the whole time worrying about popping out. I got changed as soon as the reception started.

When I get married this year I'm having my dress made for me. With sleeves!

They can look lovely and there are some really stunning ones but its definitely not a look that suits everyone.

Solo Fri 11-Jan-13 12:08:14

link
A bride that shouldn't have worn a strapless dress imo...

TheBrideofMucky Fri 11-Jan-13 12:08:25

My mum's was a real meringue. But must have been fashionable at the time as I have seen a lot of my friends' mothers sporting similar styles in their photos around about the same time.

KittyBreadfan Fri 11-Jan-13 12:08:37

Bride of Mucky that's a lovely dress smile

YANBU. They do look lovely on some, but it doesn't suit most. I idly browse dresses on occasion and know I would like shite in a strapless, and also, I have no boobs to hold them up so it'd have to be really tight, which would hurt my chest, so I'd rather not! My sister looked lovely in one though!

Fakebook Fri 11-Jan-13 12:09:20

Yanbu. They only shit women without underarm hanging flesh.

Fakebook Fri 11-Jan-13 12:09:43

Suit, not shit.

I wore a strapless dress, Im not skinny but my decolletage is my best feature. I flaunted it grin

SpicyPear Fri 11-Jan-13 12:10:57

YANBU. I wore strapless and it was a mistake. I wasn't fat, but also not slim or toned enough and the structured corset made the tops of my arms look all flabby. I'm also very pasty and did flush with nerves. That was six years ago so I'm surprised it's still the fashion.

javotte Fri 11-Jan-13 12:10:58

It was all I could find at less than £200 for my wedding in 2008. It was really unflattering. Damn fashion...

TheCraicDealer Fri 11-Jan-13 12:12:07

Bride, if you're going to go strapless, that's the way to do it. Lovely!

sooperdooper Fri 11-Jan-13 12:13:14

I got married last year and I got so annoyed going round wedding dress shops, 99.9% of them are A-Line and strapless, just like every wedding dress at every wedding I've ever been to - yawn - I don't ever wear strapless, I'm a 38DD, why would I start on my wedding day?

I tried some on but never felt comfortable, I ended up getting a beautiful dress from Anouska G at House of Fraser, loved it

TheBrideofMucky Fri 11-Jan-13 12:17:02

Thanks for that, means a lot as I haven't shown many people yet and am a bit nervous about the choice. Was worried you were all going to throw up on your keyboards. grin

Anoushka G does some really lovely things Sooper, I had a bridesmaid dress for a friend's wedding last summer and it was beautiful.

TheCraicDealer Fri 11-Jan-13 12:17:15

This is the wedding dress equivalent of "blah" I think you're getting at, sooper.

RuleBritannia Fri 11-Jan-13 12:17:22

<sighs> There was a time when brides (in church) were supposed to look demure. Neck high dresses with sleeves. Mine was beautiful silk with silver embroidery, a boat neck and sleeves. Looking at it now, I wonder how I managed to fasten the buttons all the way up the front! It was fitted and straight and absolutely lovely!

RuleBritannia Fri 11-Jan-13 12:18:48

And fat people should not wear strapless or fitted dresses. It makes me roll eyes.

ClartyCarol Fri 11-Jan-13 12:18:51

Solo - shock at that photo! Got to be photoshopped surely, unless the whole thing burst open with the weight of her generous bosom.

Can't comment on dresses, I wore a trouser suit grin.

Spatsky Fri 11-Jan-13 12:21:34

I had a halter neck

PaellaUmbrella Fri 11-Jan-13 12:24:35

Floogel

That was my wedding dress! I loved wearing it so much. I really didn't want a strapless dress and was starting to get frustrated at 99% of dresses being bloody strapless. Then I walked into House of Fraser and saw that one grin

IMO strapless is unflattering unless you are very slim, have very toned arms and a small chest. There is nothing more unsightly than a bride with a back cleavage, hoisting up her dress all day long.

To be honest, most wedding dresses aren't especially flattering on people who aren't relatively slim. Because they are long white dresses. White isn't the most slimming colour. And long dresses that are A line just look a huge mass of material which is why strapless look nice - they show some skin to break up the whiteness. And if they are straight or fitted, you need to be slim too. The dress Floogel linked to from Phase Eight is beautiful, but it still wouldn't look much better on plumper person than a strapless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now