AIBU to think the portrait of KM, DoC, is really unflattering and a bit creepy?

(237 Posts)
NolittleBuddahsorTigerMomshere Fri 11-Jan-13 10:50:46
StinkyWicket Fri 11-Jan-13 16:39:29

I think it looks just like her tbh, but is really drab and not at all vibrant. It's like those paintings that look like photos that the Mail love so much.

I'd rather have something like the Rolf Harris portrait he did of Her Maj not so long ago. If they wanted something comparable to a photo, they should have just taken a photo!

littleducks Fri 11-Jan-13 16:44:09

I saw it earlier on TV and it looked much better than the daily mail photo.

saadia Fri 11-Jan-13 16:45:36

I like it, really like how he did the hair and she looks quite enigmatic.

discorabbit Fri 11-Jan-13 16:51:39

i really like it too

nipersvest Fri 11-Jan-13 16:55:05

just re-read the daily mail article as dh is quoted in it, he's also been interviewed on the radio today for his comments!

(dh is the president of the royal society of portrait painters)

RooneyMara Fri 11-Jan-13 17:02:13

Wow really? <respect>

nipersvest Fri 11-Jan-13 17:07:57

am also worried as he's currently painting someone potentially controversial for the national portrait gallery, nervous about that being unveiled now!

RooneyMara Fri 11-Jan-13 17:08:28

His paintings are superb though. I don't think you have anything to worry about smile

gazzalw Fri 11-Jan-13 17:10:53

It's not without good reason that the Middletons all looked very glum coming out from seeing it....

Not at all flattering..... maybe if she was getting on for 50 grin...

Moominsarehippos Fri 11-Jan-13 17:17:24

Oh. Its horrid. She looks much older than she is, all jowley and the expression is nasty (cross between pissed off and about to make an acid comment). Bit like me, really.

I thought portraits were supposed to 'say' something about the sitter. This is quite sparse (unless there's more of it and they've just cropped the face).

Sidge Fri 11-Jan-13 17:19:51

I think it's hideous, not flattering at all.

When I fist saw it I thought it was a photo of her, but not one of her best !

That's it really smile

< Waits for critic's awards to flood in for my brilliant analysis grin >

iwantanafternoonnap Fri 11-Jan-13 17:24:50

Hair looks nice though....

thebody Fri 11-Jan-13 17:25:31

Makes her look much older but couldn't really care less tbh.

ipdipdog Fri 11-Jan-13 17:39:13

I love it. She has a smirky and superior look about her. Much more interesting than your average portrait. The painting technically is fantastic

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 11-Jan-13 17:43:17

I think it's good

Bakingnovice Fri 11-Jan-13 17:45:46

It looks just like her.

OK, here's a suitable catty remark for you I've just drummed up .....

.... Is it just a little bit lower middle class to choose an artist who paints in a photographic style - and not in a more expressive/ artistic way ?

< double points as manages to be catty to both Kate and the artist at the same time ! >

RooneyMara Fri 11-Jan-13 17:49:30

'The painting technically is fantastic '

??!

LottieJenkins Fri 11-Jan-13 18:07:58

I think it is hideous..............It makes her look like an OAP!!

Did he aim for an enigmatic Mona Lisa Look?

maggiepy Fri 11-Jan-13 18:39:12

Lovely portrait of lovely lady, we all like it here. And, its a portrait not a digital photo afterall.

YouOldSlag Fri 11-Jan-13 18:43:07

Is it just a little bit lower middle class to choose an artist who paints in a photographic style - and not in a more expressive/ artistic way ?

She has a degree in Art History. I'm surprised this is her choice of artist. It looks fantasy art from a graphic novel.

GuffSmuggler Fri 11-Jan-13 18:51:20

I agree with rooney about the nose - it looks like misshaped silly putty!!! her nose does not look like that!?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now