AIBU to think the portrait of KM, DoC, is really unflattering and a bit creepy?

(237 Posts)
NolittleBuddahsorTigerMomshere Fri 11-Jan-13 10:50:46
spatchcock Fri 11-Jan-13 13:51:24

Oh dear, that is not flattering at all.

Maybe she said she liked it because she was so relieved it wasn't as bad as the Lucian Freud portrait of the Queen, which one critic said made her look like she had the neck of a rugby prop.

TheBrideofMucky Fri 11-Jan-13 13:53:18

I don't care for it much. I know most of the photos we see of her (even the papped ones) are airbrushed but she does look older and very tired in it.

And she can't admit she doesn't like it without looking vain.

giveitago Fri 11-Jan-13 13:53:27

"My first thought is that she must be really confident about herself to purposely go for something as unflattering as this. "

Jeez does it matter. Why are we so ready to criticize the looks of other women. yonly 'woah' issues with this woman is why she's gone down the line of her mil aka the extreme thinness. Oh and she has lines on the face - don't most women?

I don't except extreme purposely achieved thinness as the ideal of women (and there are lots of comments about the 'fullness' of her face) - aka most lingerie models modelling bras - erm - you wouldn't wear shoes if you didn't have feet.

Shame she has to be beautiful because she's in the public eye.

rockinhippy Fri 11-Jan-13 14:01:51

I've just this minute seen it on TV & got to say I wasn't impressed either, for all the reasons already mentioned above, doesn't do her justice at all & I also think it just looks very dowdy, not classic in an timeless sort of way, which could be forgiven, but just dated & dowdy - such a shame

SwitchedtoEatingCheese Fri 11-Jan-13 14:18:01

'She spent 10 minutes studying the portrait before gesturing with her hands, indicating that she was particularly pleased with the way he had captured her around her mouth and nose'.

In actual fact she spent ten minutes trying to calm her urge to grab the fucker off the wall and put it over the artists head whilst thinking 'i don't look that old' and planning a stop of at the shops on the way home for some anti wrinkle cream and a bottle of wine

RooneyMara Fri 11-Jan-13 14:19:42

I don['t see any improvement on the BBC link I'm afraid.

The hair looks airbrushed, so does the rest of it tbh

the nose looks like it's made of plasticine and stuck on

I mean this person got PAID

Jeezeus

Oh and she has lines on the face - don't most women?
Yes, and that is not the point. The point is that the painter seems to have invented more lines!

RooneyMara Fri 11-Jan-13 14:23:58

Seriously you find this sort of picture at car boot sales all over the country.
Often it has a little tear running down one cheek.

it's just hideous. Where did they find this guy?

RooneyMara Fri 11-Jan-13 14:27:17

'Emsley was the wrong painter. He is essentially a wildlife artist used to painting every hair on a gorilla.'

LOL

Or make animals look dark, scary and ferocious. Well, he succeeded in this with the Duchess!

howcomes Fri 11-Jan-13 14:48:01

she has a lovely smile, I don't understand why the artist hasn't shown that, perhaps he was trying for a Mona Lisa type effect but it seems slightly like a cat's bum look of disapproval to me. Poor girl sad

funnyperson Fri 11-Jan-13 14:54:27

Awful awful awful- makes her look old, accentuates bags and wrinkles which she actually doesn't have, looks very dark, not much jewellry in it. I think this is a plot to make Camilla look good.

In any event the artist should be asked to redo it frankly or else return his fee- I heard that this was commissioned by the national gallery and if so then this awful portait of a lovely woman is a terrible waste of public money. We have a local artist who would do a much much better picture.

funnyperson Fri 11-Jan-13 14:56:26

They could have chosen the artist who painted this picture
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1177009/Camilla-canvas-Artist-unveils-portrait-Duchess-Cornwall.html

funnyperson Fri 11-Jan-13 14:58:22

I find it sad that those in high places cant throw tantrums these days. The queen as mum- in- law could mention a few sentences on the lines of 'off with his head ' etc perhaps

auntilin Fri 11-Jan-13 14:58:51

poor to put it kindly.

Kate is such a beauty, this does not do her justice.

I'd be rather alarmed if it was me.

RightUpMyRue Fri 11-Jan-13 14:59:57

I heard on the radio earlier that she thinks it's "amazing!". I agree. Amazing they've made her look so bloody awful. Poor Kate.

SirBoobAlot Fri 11-Jan-13 15:04:36

Well she could hardly turn around and say she didn't like it, could she?

Poor love. She's very attractive, this doesn't do her justice at all!

WifeofPie Fri 11-Jan-13 15:39:27

Terrible sad. It looks like one of those sad chalk street drawings. I would have liked to see something more vibrant and fresh...with some of the beautiful colours that she wears. Something with a little more pomp.

YouOldSlag Fri 11-Jan-13 15:47:28

It looks the kind of painting a crazed fan would send to their idol.

Scrubber Fri 11-Jan-13 15:54:05

That's what she'd look like after the baby is born, if she didn't have nannies. (in my tired, grey, fat faced, bitter experience!)

TameGaloot Fri 11-Jan-13 16:03:40

I don't like it
It's not a good likeness.
It makes her look older than she actually does
It might make her look like the rest of us 31 year olds but most of use don't look as good as her in reality

As for us falling for the daily mails sexism. I saw it on the bbcs site before I came on here

And anyway most people aren't being horrible about her, they're saying the picture version of her doesn't look as good as the real version of her

I don't think it makes her look 'older' - I do think it fails to capture her youth and vitality.

It's very well painted imo. And I'm guessing she thinks it's amazing because it makes her look very sensible but with a slightly repressed smile and that she probably thinks it's a good balance to portray.

piratecat Fri 11-Jan-13 16:29:20

what's up with the cheek area, it looks like it's been redone a million times, and that's the best he could get it.

happygolurky Fri 11-Jan-13 16:32:41

It's very ageing.

They should have got Rolph Harris in smile

assumpta Fri 11-Jan-13 16:35:26

I agree that it would have been better/nicer with her smiling more openly, but maybe etiquette states that for portraits it should be closed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now