ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

AIBU to think the portrait of KM, DoC, is really unflattering and a bit creepy?

(237 Posts)
NolittleBuddahsorTigerMomshere Fri 11-Jan-13 10:50:46

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2260655/First-official-portrait-Duchess-Cambridge-acclaimed-photographic-artist-Paul-Emsley-unveiled.html

TheDemonShedMaster Fri 11-Jan-13 12:43:06

It looks like Julia Bradbury.

Bifftastic Fri 11-Jan-13 12:46:39

Did he get confused and paint her mum instead?

orangepudding Fri 11-Jan-13 12:48:28

The top picture looks awful but the one where you can also see the artist is much better - has colour and depth.

FairPhyllis Fri 11-Jan-13 12:50:44

It's really hard to reproduce paintings well in photos - it looks as though in RL it might be a lot better. It is MASSIVE though.

gotthemoononastick Fri 11-Jan-13 12:53:41

Stunning work!Thank goodness he avoided the TEETH!

Spatsky Fri 11-Jan-13 12:59:13

Actually I am warming to it after watching the video of the artist talking about it and the photo it was based on.

TheCraicDealer Fri 11-Jan-13 13:00:42

You're right, Vinegar, does actually look a lot better in the picture below.

EuroShagmore Fri 11-Jan-13 13:00:45

It's dreadful. Her eyes look evil and she looks so much older than she actually is.

TheCraicDealer Fri 11-Jan-13 13:01:01

And what's wrong with her teeth?!

PostBellumBugsy Fri 11-Jan-13 13:12:19

In the Guardian, a commentator is saying it is like something out of Twilight!

QueenStromba Fri 11-Jan-13 13:14:09

DP just saw me looking at it and I said it was a terrible portrait. His response was that it might just be what she looks like - I had to tell him it was Kate Middleton!

Well of course she said she was delighted. She could hardly say "that official portrait is so fugly I want to cry - I don't really look like that, do I?!"

BBC link

neriberi Fri 11-Jan-13 13:29:23

She looks really weird in it, its a bit scary actually.

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 11-Jan-13 13:30:50

Maybe the painter met her and didn't like her, so he tried to represent how he felt?

EmmaBemma Fri 11-Jan-13 13:33:44

It's horrible! I really don't understand why he's painted her with that expression. Her mouth looks like she's suppressing a smile but her eyes look sort of cold and beady, and the weird soft pastel type effect just looks cheap.

Her eyes look strange.

McNewPants2013 Fri 11-Jan-13 13:35:16

Sorry didn't see this thread and starting another one, I don't like the portrait either

fluffyraggies Fri 11-Jan-13 13:35:57

Her wrinkles are accentuated and her nose looks 'fudged' to me.

I paint a bit, and noses are notoriously tricky, and this painting instantly reminded me of that fact. So thumbs down here.

thisonehasalittlecar Fri 11-Jan-13 13:40:00

I saw it on TV this morning and can confirm it's not just been doctored by the DM-it is really awful; it looks like the airbrush pictures of celebrities they paint on the sides of fairground rides. Even my auntie recoiled at it and she likes pictures of fluffy kittens and cartoon bears holding flowers.

TroublesomeEx Fri 11-Jan-13 13:40:56

She looks far older than her 31 years.

She also looks like she's raided granny's wardrobe. Poor girl. sad

Unless this is the real her and the other images we see are touched up. Who knows!

I think she looks fine!
You can find wrinkles in spotty 18 year olds. I don't see the problem. It's just we're too used to what a "perfect" airbrushed 31 year old looks like.

thisonehasalittlecar Fri 11-Jan-13 13:45:18

Maybe it is the real her and she's really 53 but the picture's been doing the ageing instead, Dorian Grey-stylee.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 11-Jan-13 13:48:55

My immediate reaction was 'Edwina Currie'... yikes.

tiggytape Fri 11-Jan-13 13:49:59

I agree quirrel - the portrait doesn't look old for a 31 year old. She's 31 not 19

It looks a lot like the photo it is based on, although in the photo her blouse is sleeveless which I suppose does look less frumpy than the way its been painted.

Maybe it is the decision to go informal that's made it appear a bit downbeat and a bit dull? If she'd gone for something overtly royal and formal with diamonds and a background and maybe a corgi or two, I doubt anyone would be scouring the facial details so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now