For explaining 'where babies come from' like this?

(80 Posts)
BitofSparklingPerry Fri 11-Jan-13 00:47:06

To make a baby, you need a seed from a man, an egg from a woman and the special bit in a woman's tummy called a womb.

Usually, the baby's daddy gives the seed and the babys mummy gives the egg and womb, and they all live together as a family.

Sometimes the mummy and daddy don't live together and so the baby can have two houses! Sometimes the baby only lives with one parent. Sometimes the people who first made the baby can't be a mummy and daddy so the baby gets new parents.

Sometimes two ladies are in love and so a kind man gives them a seed, or maybe two men find a kind lady to give them an egg and let them use her womb.

Sometimes the mummy or daddy need a kind person to give eggs or seeds or let them use their womb because the mummy or daddy have a problem with theirs.

Sometimes a woman and a man even make a baby by accident! When you grow big enough o make a baby, you can get medicine that stops ou havin a baby until you want one.

All sorts of different things happen, and babies end up in all sorts of families, isn't that lovely!

No matter what, there always needs to be an egg, a seed, a womb and someone to love the baby, but there are lots of ways to do that, just like there are lots of different families.

Because this is the way I tell it to my dds when they ask, and people seem to think it hilarious... Obviously I didn't just spout all that when they were 2, but that is pretty much what emerged. Dd1 has quite a probing mind so keeps asking 'what if...' Questions, and has asked in great detail about childbirth and breastfeeding, but not about how the seed and egg meet for some reason.

(Although she got the impression from somewhere that god gives seeds out, and only if you are married to a man. Sigh.)

She wants to be a doctor or vet (or an olympic diver, despite the fact she can't swim...) so she loves a bit of gore and is asking for a model of the pregnant pelvis to go with the other models that she demands I make, then ignores...

Molehillmountain Sun 13-Jan-13 17:22:16

Okay-I'm an adult who has taught sex ed, had three babies and plenty of medical interventions "down there". I have managed to explain donor conception to my children. So why do my toes curl when considering using the word "vulva" with my dd's as the term for their external genitalia? Don't know really. So we're sticking with "bits and bobs" or front bottom for now. Quite often simply "bottom" suffices.

DizzyZebra Mon 14-Jan-13 05:42:21

The first bit is pretty much what exs Mum told him.
I'm apparently never ever ever to mention what this led to - As afterwards he questioned her further, to make sure that he had heard right - That she, being a woman, has a 'special place' that he, being male, does not have. Once he had made absolutely sure of this he demanded she let him have a look at hers grin I might actually say something next time i see him. He would be mortified.

EvenIfYouSeeAPoppy Mon 14-Jan-13 07:12:28

I do think 'front bottom' is very misleading tbh. As most children understand the 'bottom' to be for dealing with poo, couldn't it even potentially lead to disgust?

I talk about 'private bits' as a catch-all term for genitals - less out of shame than to reinforce the fact that everyone's genitals are private to them -, but I use the proper name for individual parts of the anatomy within that. One of my children once saw me on the loo and wanted to know what the flaps of skin were. I said they were my labia and help keep my vagina clean. I don't think there's anything inappropriate about that.

valiumredhead Mon 14-Jan-13 08:38:23

I agree poppy

zingally Mon 14-Jan-13 15:07:05

I think you've explained it perfectly for a little person. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now