For explaining 'where babies come from' like this?

(80 Posts)
BitofSparklingPerry Fri 11-Jan-13 00:47:06

To make a baby, you need a seed from a man, an egg from a woman and the special bit in a woman's tummy called a womb.

Usually, the baby's daddy gives the seed and the babys mummy gives the egg and womb, and they all live together as a family.

Sometimes the mummy and daddy don't live together and so the baby can have two houses! Sometimes the baby only lives with one parent. Sometimes the people who first made the baby can't be a mummy and daddy so the baby gets new parents.

Sometimes two ladies are in love and so a kind man gives them a seed, or maybe two men find a kind lady to give them an egg and let them use her womb.

Sometimes the mummy or daddy need a kind person to give eggs or seeds or let them use their womb because the mummy or daddy have a problem with theirs.

Sometimes a woman and a man even make a baby by accident! When you grow big enough o make a baby, you can get medicine that stops ou havin a baby until you want one.

All sorts of different things happen, and babies end up in all sorts of families, isn't that lovely!

No matter what, there always needs to be an egg, a seed, a womb and someone to love the baby, but there are lots of ways to do that, just like there are lots of different families.

Because this is the way I tell it to my dds when they ask, and people seem to think it hilarious... Obviously I didn't just spout all that when they were 2, but that is pretty much what emerged. Dd1 has quite a probing mind so keeps asking 'what if...' Questions, and has asked in great detail about childbirth and breastfeeding, but not about how the seed and egg meet for some reason.

(Although she got the impression from somewhere that god gives seeds out, and only if you are married to a man. Sigh.)

She wants to be a doctor or vet (or an olympic diver, despite the fact she can't swim...) so she loves a bit of gore and is asking for a model of the pregnant pelvis to go with the other models that she demands I make, then ignores...

Flycat Fri 11-Jan-13 08:21:28

Great to explain about different types of families, but why be so coy on the mechanics? 'Penis-goes-in-vagina-and-sperm-comes-out-to-meet-with-egg' is a concept we introduced from 2. And we explained IVF as it was relevant in our case.

valiumredhead Fri 11-Jan-13 08:24:02

We did too fly

LadyCurd Fri 11-Jan-13 08:36:56

You need "what makes a baby" www.what-makes-a-baby.com/ I can't wait til this b

LadyCurd Fri 11-Jan-13 08:37:35

Posted too soon,

Can't wait til this book is published. Corey Silverberg is awesome.

Kytti It seems reasonable to me. I wouldn't want someone else saying things like this to my 5 year-old though. It's a parent's job to do this.

I agree that parents should tell their children all this stuff but unless you're (generic you, not you personally) a bigoted idiot I don't understand why it's a problem for someone else to discuss it if the children ask. Can you explain a bit more?

DD was very interested in all this when DS was tiny and had a bad habit of asking awkward questions in cafes (Mummy, remember you said that babies come out of the mummy's bits, well do they have to stretch?) to the amusement of staff. confused

Yanbu. I'm amazed that you remember it all without a book each time tbh though! I'd miss one out and then feel guilty later about it if asked to recite it blush

You should write one, when I have kids I'd buy it smile the mummies and daddies living together with child stories just don't hold true for a lot of children these days but there aren't a huge amount of books aimed at explaining more than one difference.

Peka Fri 11-Jan-13 09:45:50

It's fine but when the primary school teacher explained to (ONLY THE GIRLS!!) about periods I did have the strong impression that women laid chicken-sized eggs each month and that it was very painful confused

ErikNorseman Fri 11-Jan-13 11:38:47

I did it a bit like that for DS, though shorter as his attention span isn't that long.

Spatsky Fri 11-Jan-13 11:51:40

Perfect

BrittaPerry Fri 11-Jan-13 20:24:34

Right, I am actually now thinking of turning it into an ebook and print on demand and giving any profits to a relevant charity. I can refine the words and do some pictures, but I'm thinking the best way would be lots of different styles for each page, to go with the 'different families' theme.

What would be an appropriate charity, and what is the best way to self publish a picture book?

WeeWeeWeeAllTheWayHome Fri 11-Jan-13 21:36:20

OP that's a lovely way of explaining it, and what I hoped to convey to my DC when they ask.

And a bit late to the party but I properly snorted when I read what TheBOF wrote.

MsPickle Fri 11-Jan-13 21:48:17

If you can do decent pictures as well why not try kickstarter for the funding? An old friend self published a paperback book using that. Great explanation, I'd buy it!

SageYourResoluteOracle Fri 11-Jan-13 21:51:43

Stonewall is a brilliant charity that may be interested as although they are a charity for LGBT they have recently had a lovely poster made for schools celebrating the differences in families

Just a thought.

But totally agree that a downloadable book with proceeds going to charity is a wonderful idea and YY to PP who mentioned Babette Cole's books. 'Hair in Funny Places' is another lovely one of hers about puberty.

DameFanny Fri 11-Jan-13 21:53:18

Another snorting at BoF's idea - would make a fabulous cartoon for your back cover Britta grin

MsVestibule Fri 11-Jan-13 22:04:34

DD(5) has been asking for ages how babies are made, and while I've talked openly to her about how babies come out, I've been a bit more squeamish about how they actually get in there. I keep saying "I'll tell you when you're older", but this thread has inspired me to take the bull by the horns and next time she asks, I'll be telling her!!!

LadyCurd Sat 12-Jan-13 18:23:55

BrittaPerry see links I shared above- already being done am afraid

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sat 12-Jan-13 18:27:11

Good explanations

I do agree that it's no bad thing to mention penises and vaginas. The earlier you do this (assuming they ask the question of how the egg and sperm meet), the less embarrassing it is all round.

LilQueenie Sat 12-Jan-13 18:31:07

Its truthful and I like it. However much better than what I had thought when DD gets around to asking.

I was going to tell her we got a free baby from babiesrus when we bought a pram so we took the baby and grew it in a petri dish. confused Technically she was grown in a petri dish. I just didnt want to explain it all too soon. I think I better rethink this one lol grin

This is lovely and I'm storing it away for future use! If you do manage to get it published I'd love to get a copy for DD when she's older.

chubbychipmonk Sat 12-Jan-13 21:37:07

OP how would you explain where the baby actually comes out?

Am 31 weeks pregnant, my 3 year old DS knows there's a baby in there, that there's a tube to feed it that joins between mummy & it's belly button & he thinks the baby is going to 'pop out' like he 'popped out'

I know it's only a matter of time before he asks 'where' or 'how' the baby pops out?

Is 3 too young to say its pops out mummy's flower??!!?

quoteunquote Sat 12-Jan-13 21:40:50

children who live in the countryside with livestock always know.

NolittleBuddahsorTigerMomshere Sat 12-Jan-13 21:51:45

Very nicely done OP. Can you or do you know somebody who can draw and paint? If you can, do I think this would make a fantastic book for younger DCs (4-10 yrs) IMHO smile

determinedma Sat 12-Jan-13 21:52:19

Am I the only person whose Dcs have never actually asked where babies come from? Just never had that conversation really. Dds are now 22 and 19 so I imagine they figured it out somehow...

nooka Sat 12-Jan-13 21:56:08

Seems fine for a pretty small child, but I don't really understand either the 'wow' type responses here or the disapproval elsewhere. Why wouldn't you talk about the various different ways that families are formed - aren't these the sort of questions small children ask? Perhaps my children were just the curious types but to me this seems like a pretty normal way to talk - unless it's some sort of patter that you say on a frequent basis - I can see why that might be funny (esp to a non parent).

EvenIfYouSeeAPoppy Sat 12-Jan-13 22:00:13

Very good explanation smile

I try and use the correct words within reason with mine, so I'll say sperm instead of seed, and definitely womb rather than tummy.

My 7yo asked very directly how the sperm gets into the womb recently. I just said that the man puts his penis in the woman's vagina (he knows what that is because we have talked about periods and childbirth). I added that this is something that only grown-ups do, but he wasn't that interested, tbh. Which convinces me that matter-of-fact, truthful (without being overly graphic) and unspectacular is the way to go.

We have Mummy Laid an Egg by Babette Cole and neither of my children (5 and 7) have been that interested in the 'sex' bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now