to find naked people in changing room unnecessary?

(264 Posts)
CharlLaneoxo Thu 10-Jan-13 21:14:57

Such as at the gym and the swimming pool etc.

I'm not talking about women who are comfortable with themselves and can get changed in front of strangers no problem.

I'm referring to the ones who will take leisurely showers, walk around, spend ages getting ready, drying their hair and stand chatting to their friends completely naked.

I know we're all women etc but I just find it unnecessary.

Or maybe I am a prude smile

Flojobunny Thu 10-Jan-13 23:03:29

Ah I wanted to ask this.
My DD (4 yo) goes for swimming lessons, same day/time every week and there are always the same 2 older ladies in the shower, naked, chatting away.
Doesn't bother me except there's only 3 showers and the swimming lesson kids all hanging around to use the one.
Anyway a friend on the same lesson, made a complaint to reception last week about the inappropriateness of these women being naked around the children.
I was a bit confused does anyone else think she had a point?

manicinsomniac Thu 10-Jan-13 23:06:13

YANBU, I find it very hard to understand not being embarrassed and uncomfortable by being naked in front of others.

And the thing is, somebody said upthread that we all have the same body but we don't. Some people have amazing bodies and I could never be comfortable being naked around people like that.

I always change under a towel because I have anorexia. I look horrible naked and people stare at me. So to me, for somebody at either end of the weight spectrum (someone who doesn't have a nice body basically) to be comfortable being naked at a gym is weird.

IfNotNowThenWhen Thu 10-Jan-13 23:10:57

I'm weird, because I don't mind other people seeing me naked, but I don't like seeing other people's bits and pieces. I get flustered.
On the other hand, it's probably quite good for kids to see normal looking naked people. My aunt had an unpleasant experience recently when she was in the shower (cubicle) at the swimming pool, and a girl of about 13 accidentally walked in on her and then spent 10 mins saying "errr! Gross! I just saw that old woman naked" and pretending to be sick. Nice.

Spuddybean Thu 10-Jan-13 23:16:02

this is hilarious! it appears i am totally unnecessary then. i shower and nakedly walk to the bench where my stuff is, naked, then i, totally unclothed, dry myself, still nude, i put moisturiser on my nakedness...with one leg up on the bench and no pants on, because i moisturise my naked arse too, then i seat my uncovered derriere on the bench, and bend my naked body forward to towel dry my hair and wrap it in the only towel i take, i then stand my still unclothed body up and put my bra and pants on, then go to the hairdrier to dry my hair, only after that do i dress.

CharlLaneoxo Thu 10-Jan-13 23:16:36

TravelinColour

OP, Never go to Finland. I know a few Finns who would regale us with stories of University parties in sauna's, lots of vodka, men and women, no clothes

I wouldn't say a naked drunk uni party would compare with just an ordinary every day changing room at your local gym to be honest.

And I have been to Finland thanks.

PretzelTime Thu 10-Jan-13 23:17:53

IfNot Whoa that's so rude to say when the other person is still presentangry

When I was a teen and saw naked old women at the pool shower it made me reflect on aging instead - we will all, if we are lucky, grow old too and our bodies will change. And we still have to showergrin

Spuddybean Thu 10-Jan-13 23:19:01

and i still walk round naked like that at my parents house too. Also find it quite easy to talk to someone who is naked without looking at their bits - i've seen my dad naked loads and i couldn't tell you anything about his nob, we just don't take any notice.

PretzelTime Thu 10-Jan-13 23:20:14

Remember the thread where a lady was using the hair drier to dry her vagine? I draw the line there.

Flojobunny Thu 10-Jan-13 23:20:15

Spuddy, sitting your naked below on a bench is a bit yakky. Especially since you aren't sitting on your towel as you are wrapping it round your head at this point.

HenryCrun Thu 10-Jan-13 23:21:25

I had a cringeworthy experience as a child. I was on a residential holiday in France and needed a nurse to help me dress - but they took me into the womens' changing room to do it. I had to look at the ceiling the whole time because if I made eye (or anything else) contact with anyone, I'd get bawled out!

Flojobunny Thu 10-Jan-13 23:21:45

Why would you be naked at your parents house?

Spuddybean Thu 10-Jan-13 23:21:50

why? i've just showered so am clean.

Flojobunny Thu 10-Jan-13 23:23:03

Aww Henry how old were you?

Spuddybean Thu 10-Jan-13 23:23:31

when i stay there and get ready/washed/dressed. No one ever closes the bathroom door there. I shower then walk to my parents room to get dressed as that's where my stuff is kept.

HenryCrun Thu 10-Jan-13 23:24:13

Flojo - I think I was eight or nine at the time, possibly ten.

MmeLindor Thu 10-Jan-13 23:24:54

Flojo
Do you use public loos? I'm not one to wander around nude but I don't see the difference between Spuddy's naked arse on a bench or on a toilet seat.

EduCated Thu 10-Jan-13 23:26:45

I once accidentally blow dried someone else's fanjo for them. I was blow dying my hair, looked in te mirror and realised there were some gently wafting pubes just begin my right shoulder...

Flojobunny Thu 10-Jan-13 23:29:33

Lindor I guess you have a point, I just always remember the story about how you can catch STIs from wooden benchs as they can live on the warm wood and it stayed with me!
Henry that's awful, my DS is 7 and I'd think nothing of taking him in with me.

Flojobunny Thu 10-Jan-13 23:30:07

Educated how did you keep a straight face on the mirror!

cantspel Thu 10-Jan-13 23:31:05

see that is the bit i dont get.

You shower so get naked but why do you then feel the need to walk naked across the changing room? Surely if you are showing you take your towel and wrap it around you afterwards?
No one showers at home and then walks naked and dripping to another room/area to get a towel so why do it at a gym?

CharlLaneoxo Thu 10-Jan-13 23:31:53

I dated a guy with red hair once and I asked him if either of his parents had red hair too. He replied no but my mum has ginger pubes ... I was a bit hmm ok ....

Apparently he came from a very naked house.

We lasted about 3 months I think haha.

KristinaM Thu 10-Jan-13 23:33:11

I don't like it. But then I AM a prude. I wanted to give birth with my knickers on, but they wouldn't let me :-(

IfNotNowThenWhen Thu 10-Jan-13 23:34:36

Oh God, I have seen my Dad naked more times than I care to remember. We had no central heating, so after a bath he would get dry and dressed in front of the gas fire in the living room, goolies a-flapping. And I remember lots of times sitting on the toilet talking to my mum while she lay in the bath wearing a facepack, smoking a fag without moving her lips.
Classy, my family!

Spuddybean Thu 10-Jan-13 23:35:27

no, the gym where i go has showers opposite the bench. i would have to take my towel into the cubicle with me, as that is where the hook is, so it would get wet. other women do. they also get dressed then under their wet towel. weird. 4 paces and i'm at the bench with my nice dry towel smile

Feelingood Thu 10-Jan-13 23:36:41

omg thank you yanbu there is this women at my gym who i call labia women as she has lengthrn displays i swear her labia are going to start talking to me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now