Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to find naked people in changing room unnecessary?

(264 Posts)
CharlLaneoxo Thu 10-Jan-13 21:14:57

Such as at the gym and the swimming pool etc.

I'm not talking about women who are comfortable with themselves and can get changed in front of strangers no problem.

I'm referring to the ones who will take leisurely showers, walk around, spend ages getting ready, drying their hair and stand chatting to their friends completely naked.

I know we're all women etc but I just find it unnecessary.

Or maybe I am a prude smile

Meglet Thu 10-Jan-13 21:31:36

Nooooo! I could never get changed in front of other people! (Fine with partners / children though).

I always wait for a cubicle to be free.

Boomerwang Thu 10-Jan-13 21:32:16

I've seen loads of naked bodies due to my previous profession so I don't get embarrassed but I would still be a bit hmm if someone was clearly flaunting their naked body for the sake of it. Especially if their flappy bits were hanging out

Fakebook Thu 10-Jan-13 21:32:22

What's wrong with talking to your friends while being nude?

Erm I don't know, but talking to someone's boobs or pubic hair isn't my cup of tea.

ErikNorseman Thu 10-Jan-13 21:32:37

In morocco you go to public baths. Heaving with women, all wandering around, sitting, chatting with their boobs out. Most disconcerting at first. But when they take their knickers off they cover their fannies with their hands grin
YANBU by the way, in Britain, nudity is just not cricket.

Hobbitation Thu 10-Jan-13 21:32:38

I don't think you have to get changed under a towel, it's perfectly acceptable to dry yourself off, put your pants and bra on without fuss while standing in one place and people briefly see your bits, then dress the rest of you.

Ameybee Thu 10-Jan-13 21:32:59

Definitely not unreasonable, at our gym there was one older lady who use to put one leg on bench n dry her fanjo with towel shock I mean, seriously its not necessary!

WitchOfEndor Thu 10-Jan-13 21:34:01

babybarrister I did a double take at your post. I had a vision of men straightening their pubes with ghds! grin

Hobbitation Thu 10-Jan-13 21:34:11

But wandering about, drying your hair naked, having a chat is a bit off IMO.

FredFredGeorge Thu 10-Jan-13 21:34:31

Fakebook It's normally polite to look at the face regardless of the clothes.

YABU, it's a single sex place where nakedness is required, no-one is unreasonable to be naked in that situation.

Porkster Thu 10-Jan-13 21:34:41

I am more than happy to strip off at the gym. I hate to see those women who tie themselves in knots trying to change without revealing anything.

But I also hate to see the women who make a point of wandering around naked. I see them all - weighing themselves, moisturising with one leg up (which from my view, as I had the misfortune to walk in to directly behind where she was, showed her entire fanny) and recently, sitting on a stool in knickers only, straightening her hair.

(My dh reckons the men who swan around naked in the men's are always the ones with the tiny willies.)

motherinferior Thu 10-Jan-13 21:34:43

Most of life's greater pleasures are unnecessary, really. No need to come over all utilitarian about a few nipples. IMO.

MmeLindor Thu 10-Jan-13 21:37:18

I do like the word 'necessary' in the OP. It is very pearl-clutching-twinset-wearing middle class angsty.

I've probably told this story before, but when I was an aupair in Germany the dad told me that he'd been on a business trip to Canada, and went to the hotel spa. He hopped into the hot tub after relaxing in the sauna, wondering why it was so quiet. Gradually more people came in and as the spa filled up, he realised to his horror that everyone else was wearing bathing suits. And he wasn't.

He had to stay in the hot tub for hours till the spa emptied again and he could make a dash for the changing room.

ivykaty44 Thu 10-Jan-13 21:38:28

the trunk covered in the towel thing - I aways though that was due to them people being different so they cover up or perhaps on their period.

I don't like it when woman on their period put pants on the bench with st's in them that are not clean - it is gross imo

carovioletfizz Thu 10-Jan-13 21:42:17

100% agree, so unnecessary. We were at the pool recently and my 3 year old ended up with some lady's private bits practically in her face. Striding around completely naked is just weird - there is no need for it, have a little dignity and decorum!

Geranium3 Thu 10-Jan-13 21:42:28

I know what you mean OP, they always seem soooooo in love with themselves,preening around and taking absolute ages to moisturise themselves whilst totally naked!!!!

AnyFucker Thu 10-Jan-13 21:44:13

When I was a teenager, a woman removed a tampon from her vagina and replaced it with another in full view of the rest of the changing room.

A.Step.Too.Far.

UptoapointLordCopper Thu 10-Jan-13 21:46:24

Am shortsighted. Can't see much without glasses. Don't care if anyone is naked or not. grin But wish one could just change without all this covering. What is the big deal? We've all got roughly the same type of bits ...

pointythings Thu 10-Jan-13 21:47:54

I've walked to the toilet naked and then back again, but the changing room at our local pool is freezing 365 days a year so I don't run around flaunting my goosebumps. I'm completely unbothered by nudity though, so while I'd agree that it isn't necessary, it is not offensive either and I think you are the one with the problem, OP. But to each their own.

Changing under a towel does make you a prude, though.

PretzelTime Thu 10-Jan-13 21:48:06

I like that there are women who are relaxed about their "imperfect" bodies - with wrinkles, imperfect boobs, fat, skinnyness, hair etc - and can stand changing and being nude around other women in a natural setting. It makes me feel more relaxed about my body too.

CharlLaneoxo Thu 10-Jan-13 21:51:33

MmeLindor

I wouldn't say it's " very pearl-clutching-twinset-wearing middle class angst "

I stated quite clearly in the OP that I'm not referring to women who are comfortable changing in front of others. I really would not care if the woman next to me is completely naked.

I just find it unnecessary to parade around completely naked, almost like you want people staring at you.

nokidshere Thu 10-Jan-13 21:53:57

I never see any because I am always in a cubicle - or the loo if no cubicle there! I never change in front of people, or share rooms etc

I have no hangups about my imperfect body though - just all the psoriasis covering it!

PretzelTime Thu 10-Jan-13 21:55:27

OK it's not necessary parade around naked. But it's fun I guess grin

thesnootyfox Thu 10-Jan-13 21:58:18

YANBU.

I am so British blush.

I used to have a colleague who incidentally was an HR bod so it's possible that she is the HR lady referred to early in the thread. At our onsite gym she would walk around for ages in the nude, I had to tell her that I could just about cope with her tits but being exposed to her Brazilian whilst discussing performance related pay was a step too far. hmm

Boomerwang Thu 10-Jan-13 21:59:28

AnyFucker

Oh My God.

Fakebook Thu 10-Jan-13 22:01:39

Fakebook It's normally polite to look at the face regardless of the clothes.

So how are you supposed to look at someone's face politely when they have their norks and hairy fannies out?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now