to ask thisisanicecage to repeat her experiment on internet insecurity

(160 Posts)
Consils Thu 10-Jan-13 18:16:29

she looked up the mumsnet history of a random poster and was able to find out names and addresses. I missed the end of the last thread and I am still curious.

AnitaManeater Mon 14-Jan-13 19:50:53

ThePIEwholovedme No my name isn't Mc.... phew! x

AppearingDignified Mon 14-Jan-13 08:37:15

A couple of friends in RL know my name and say they regulalry look to see what I'm writing because they're too nervous to write anything themselves. I don't mind as I know to name change if i want to write anything too personal.

cozietoesie Mon 14-Jan-13 08:35:21

In my view?

Searching is when you decide to do it. (For whatever reason.)

Stalking is when you want to do it. (For whatever reason.)

AppearingDignified Mon 14-Jan-13 08:31:32

Is it stalking if the NN one regularly searches puts all their personal details on MN?

What is the stalking, searching balance?

ceeveebee Sun 13-Jan-13 22:11:56

Ah you mean you run a company from home. Guess you don't have much option then. My company is a plc so probably a bit more important to keep our home addresses private

libelulle Sun 13-Jan-13 22:09:40

I'm intrigued too. I'm clear that I'm super identifiable from my posting history to someone who knows me. But could you really also link that up to my real life name, without knowing me? If you can, I'm impressed and terrified. I'm game for giving it a go. I think confused.

TalkinPeace2 Sun 13-Jan-13 22:07:39

ceeveebee
Registered address, trading address, accountants address are all here.
Not willing to get a PO box number because of the nature of our respective client bases.
If you work out my name, feel free to email me. grin

ceeveebee Sun 13-Jan-13 22:04:32

Talkin you can use the company's registered office as the service address if you are a director - that's what I do and all the other directors at our company.

nickelbabe Sun 13-Jan-13 21:55:33

Where did my wink and grin go?

nickelbabe Sun 13-Jan-13 21:54:07

Doctrine shock
How on earth did you guess that?!

wink
grin

TalkinPeace2 Sun 13-Jan-13 15:03:10

My real name is all over the web because of my work, and DH has a web site that we publicise constantly. And because we are both company directors our address is public.
I'm pretty sure that anybody who knows me could work out which poster on a thread was me, but not sure that getting from my posting name to me would be easy.

With name and a bit of history, most people can be found nowadays.

CrazyChristmasLady Sun 13-Jan-13 14:55:18

I have stalked looked up an old crush on the internet. The amount of information I have found out about him when all I know is his name and where he lived is scary! I tried doing the same for myself and luckily there doesn't seem to be much at all. Although I am not sure about from my MN NN. I haven't changed back to my usual yet as I am on a few threads at the moment but my old one is one I have had for a while. I would be interested to see what ThisIsSNiceCage would find out about me.

SaraBellumHertz Sun 13-Jan-13 14:18:30

If I search my maiden name then you get a few google hits and several less in my maiden name - I have posted a few personal bits on MN and this has been my nn for a year or so but I don't understand how you get a real name from that confused

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 13-Jan-13 10:49:21

Nickel's hobby must be readkng, surely grin

AndABigBirdInaPearTree Sun 13-Jan-13 02:07:54

I think you could probably find me out because my son has done really odd sports and I have posted about them on Facebook and so few people do them. But I'm hoping that that is the only way people could find us....

(head firmly in sand)

Tianc Sun 13-Jan-13 01:06:06

wink

MrsPoglesWood Sun 13-Jan-13 00:59:32

Have PM'd you Tianc x

Tianc Sun 13-Jan-13 00:58:34

MrsPogles I am much intrigued by your previous job. But in the spirit of this thread, can't ask you to say more!

Darn!

Tianc Sun 13-Jan-13 00:57:22

Can't remember your fave hobby though...

Tianc Sun 13-Jan-13 00:51:38

nickel I don't even have to search MN to identify you!

Think I remember a fair bit about MrNickel, too, but weirdly haven't clocked much about BabyNickel - unlike regular readers of your shop website!

I would be amazed if you could identify me.

nickelbabe Sat 12-Jan-13 22:13:30

I'd be shocked and appalled if you didn't know every single detail of my dd's life. Poor baby.

Tianc Sat 12-Jan-13 22:09:16

Doctrine has it to a tee - that's exactly how it's done. With lots of help from the threads MrsPogle has highlighted.

nickelbabe Sat 12-Jan-13 22:06:01

Would you please do me?
I'll probably beat your record as the quickest to find blush

Specifically, can you tell me what my favourite hobby is?

nickelbabe Sat 12-Jan-13 21:57:23

Fair enough if you want to stay identifiable.

I post so much personal information that I'm easily searchable.
It doesn't bother me.

But i would namechange if i wanted something to be confidential.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now