to ask thisisanicecage to repeat her experiment on internet insecurity

(160 Posts)
Consils Thu 10-Jan-13 18:16:29

she looked up the mumsnet history of a random poster and was able to find out names and addresses. I missed the end of the last thread and I am still curious.

HecatePropolos Fri 11-Jan-13 13:07:56

I know. grin

My point was that someone would die of old age by the time they waded through the piles of crap to get to all that. In my case.

Tianc Fri 11-Jan-13 13:35:53

Yy, RedToothbrush, been quietly cheering everyone on for the Bounty thread. Well done, about time too!

Consils Fri 11-Jan-13 18:11:34

Are you going to do it, tianc ?

TalkinPeace2 Fri 11-Jan-13 18:41:55

THen again, trying to track down people for the wake I went to today was made much easier by the interweb

foxache Fri 11-Jan-13 18:50:43

I'm trying to make a point of not mentioning my life details in posts, but it's really hard.
In empathising with someone it's impossible not to let something out, or comparing a situation you've encountered.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 11-Jan-13 18:50:46

Tianc, I've always assumed that MNers who use their real names on twitter are happy for the link to be made.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 11-Jan-13 18:52:05

Fox, you can namechange regularly (even if it was a minor variant, it stops an advanced search showing everything together).

Softlysoftly Fri 11-Jan-13 20:30:13

What kind of details in posts do you need to link to their real name. I only use this nickname don't link in twitter/FB using it.

Would I still be trackable?

SqueakyGeek Fri 11-Jan-13 21:25:28

My dappy oh decided to live tweet my moms visit. He needed a way to blow off steam cos she was being quite difficult....
Unfortunately he was stupid enough to do it under his own name so a few months later when she looked up his name plus location, it was the first result.
Needless to say, she's never speaking to him again. A win for him.
Big nightmare for me.

MammaTJ Fri 11-Jan-13 21:39:55

EDuCaTed that woud be awful

Ooh, do me please!

Tianc Sat 12-Jan-13 01:30:10

Consils you rotter.grin

I had stuff to do today that's been in my Urgent pile for over a month week.

I absolutely have not spent today having a little peak at some of the potential stalkees on this thread. Not at all. Not even a little bit. Nyarrrgh!

May PM someone tomorrow...

Tianc Sat 12-Jan-13 01:30:35

But I'm really not doing this. It's all in your imagination.

Tianc Sat 12-Jan-13 01:32:07

Softly, keeping MN v separate from fb & Twitter helps - but it does depend what you've posted here and how unique those details are.

JoanByers Sat 12-Jan-13 01:40:43

Re Facebook, the current beta version of MS Outlook links to Facebook and downloads the person's photo and other details, so you get a photo of the person who is emailing you if they have a facebook account.

So I learned for instance that my Mum has a facebook account under a false name that she hasn't used, and I have photos of the admissions person at the grammar school my son applied to.

And so on.

MrsMarplesMarbles Sat 12-Jan-13 09:52:41

If you have anything to hide (affairs etc) then I wouldn't be putting my hand up on this thread!

ZillionChocolate Sat 12-Jan-13 10:05:42

I look forward to seeing what imagined stalking brings tomorrow!

TwllBach Sat 12-Jan-13 10:06:21

<puts hand in the air>

I was around (under a different name) for the first thread but was relatively new so didn't think it would be fair to ask.

I've been fairly open about my entire life and it does worry me a bit if you knew me IRL you would recognise my posts.

If you've got a spare few minutes TIANC I'd love to see what you could do!

MoleyMick Sat 12-Jan-13 10:23:40

Do me too! grin

I just googled myself and got results for other people with my name but nothing for me. I apparently do not exist grin How can I find out what's out there about me?

Tianc Sat 12-Jan-13 13:53:00

KFC try looking under 192.com or kgbpeople. (You don't have to register and give them your info to do this, despite the big box asking you to.)

Hadn't looked at 192.com for a while: I see they now allow you to find info about who's been searching your name. Although presumably you do need to hand over your own data to make that work!

foxache Sat 12-Jan-13 13:58:14

Joan that's shocking shock

I really want to come off facebook, but it's the only way I can keep up with some old friends and certain organisations' news. Is there another way of being on fb? New reg under different email?

I think in 5-10 years we'll look back and laugh at ourselves and the way we share information online.

Tianc Sat 12-Jan-13 14:00:12

Consils, you're right, you just don't post enough to give me much purchase.

MammaTJ I think you'd be too easy!

So I've had a quick crack at catgirl1976. And will PM her once I've tidied up my notes. I haven't done the full works, just a quick sketch but includes a RL name and location.

JollyToddles Sat 12-Jan-13 14:01:55

This is another reason I nc regularly.

I'd be interested in being stalked for research purposes. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now